Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/11 - 10/17 All Is Not Well in the House of Riddle

NintendoLogic

WWE is consciously branding itself as the heavyweight promotion, so it makes sense for Roman to use that line of thinking. We all know size doesn't mean much if the other person is better at fighting than you, but I don't think Roman is looking to convince anyone or try and be logical. 

That comment about fans babying the promotion is really funny though, especially coming from him. I wouldn't blame him even if he genuinely gets confused or salty at modern fans enthusiastically cheering for its top faces. He's spent his entire career in a promotion that has lost the ability to book its faces like that. Or really, book anything that gives them what they want, apart from the "top guy is a heel with a stable behind him" trope which is the only time they actually pull the trigger and actually push the guy strongly. It's not a coincidence that it took that for them to finally book Roman like the top guy. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MoS said:

That comment about fans babying the promotion is really funny though, especially coming from him. I wouldn't blame him even if he genuinely gets confused or salty at modern fans enthusiastically cheering for its top faces. He's spent his entire career in a promotion that has lost the ability to book its faces like that. Or really, book anything that gives them what they want, apart from the "top guy is a heel with a stable behind him" trope which is the only time they actually pull the trigger and actually push the guy strongly. It's not a coincidence that it took that for them to finally book Roman like the top guy. 

This is so spot on. Roman's comments come off so bad for WWE's booking since he seems bemused/confused, or as you said even a little salty that other team can get its fans to cheer for their babyfaces and he's over here like that scene from Fresh Prince when Will's deadbeat dad came back only to ghost him again. Roman's all "WHY DON'T THEY LOVE ME MAN"

I was actually going back and recalling Lesnar's run in 2013-15 where he was booked like an unstoppable monster after the awful HHH feud, so that Reigns could slay him and ascend to the top. We know that didn't happen, but until I was properly recalling this run, I had forgotten that the first man to beat Brock after that run of terror was.....The Undertaker. Now I know they gave Brock an out in the match and he ultimately won the feud, but it is legitimately hilarious that the one win they were going to use to put over their next big thing (no pun intended) was instead used for an old past-his-prime legend. That is seriously some funny shit. 

16 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

It's worth remembering that Roman is currently feuding with Brock Lesnar, who no one in their right mind thinks he could take in a real fight.

Well Brock washed out of the NFL in training camp, so clearly Roman is the superior athlete (/all the sarcasm I can muster)

1 hour ago, DMJ said:

And just because it always make me smile to bring up other non-Brock-related ways the WWE screwed up Reigns, let's remember that his big return storyline after BEATING CANCER was a midcard feud with Dolph Ziggler's heater.

But he's a lapdog baby who only gets by because he makes Vince feel funny in the no-no parts. (Am I doing this right?)

3 hours ago, MoS said:

I was actually going back and recalling Lesnar's run in 2013-15 where he was booked like an unstoppable monster after the awful HHH feud, so that Reigns could slay him and ascend to the top. We know that didn't happen, but until I was properly recalling this run, I had forgotten that the first man to beat Brock after that run of terror was.....The Undertaker. Now I know they gave Brock an out in the match and he ultimately won the feud, but it is legitimately hilarious that the one win they were going to use to put over their next big thing (no pun intended) was instead used for an old past-his-prime legend. That is seriously some funny shit. 

My favourite review of this:

So, Brock is basically God for the last two and a half years. He wins the Triple H feud, beats Punk, ENDS THE STREAK, dominates John Cena and throws him out of the title picture, survives the three way, nukes Roman Reigns and drops the belt without actually losing, and they decide to give this gigantic rub TO THE UNDERTAKER. THE MOST PROTECTED MAN IN THE HISTORY OF WWE MAYBE. IF NOT #1, THEN TOP TWO OR THREE. THE MAN WHO LEAST NEEDS THE RUB OUT OF ANYONE EVER. The entire point of Brock's streak was to use it to give Roman the rub, and because they got panicky at Mania 31 and then realized they had nothing, NOTHING, hot for the fall, they decided to make this a longer thing and could think of no way to do that but have Taker go over here, THEY NOW HAVE TO FUCKING REBUILD BROCK LESNAR ALL OVER AGAIN. One of the dumbest finishes of all time.

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

But he's a lapdog baby who only gets by because he makes Vince feel funny in the no-no parts. (Am I doing this right?)

I actually love Reigns in interviews and how effortlessly he works the fans. His title defenses are also usually the only reason I watch WWE PPVs these days. I don't think he's a lapdog or a baby at all. 

My comment was really just to jokingly pile on about how poor the WWE's booking has been for years and years and that while we've had multiple threads now discussing how Reigns should've beat Lesnar way back at WM31, we tend to forget that the WWE also used the real-life drama of Roman Reigns beating the most deadly disease in the world to *checks wikipedia* propel him into midcard feuds with Drew McIntyre and Elias. Ironically, AEW has kinda done the same thing with CM Punk after the Darby Allin match, which I think is equally fair to criticize even if, in both cases, Reigns and Punk were the ones who wanted to work off the ring rust in low stakes matches or hand-picked their first matches back.