• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

What's wrong with it?

Wrestlers taking turns inviting their opponent to hit them will never appeal to me on any level. It has nothing to do with wrestling or even brawling. It's a form of bizarre sadomasochistic performance art. In fairness, things improved immensely once they got that nonsense out of the way and decided to have an actual wrestling match.

Just now, NintendoLogic said:

Wrestlers taking turns inviting their opponent to hit them will never appeal to me on any level. It has nothing to do with wrestling or even brawling. It's a form of bizarre sadomasochistic performance art. In fairness, the match improved immensely once they got that nonsense out of the way.

It fits with Suzuki's character though, and I completely buy that Danielson would be stupid enough to try and go toe to toe with Suzuki and get absolutely massacred for it. 

I’m not adept enough to know when guys are working well, and I think these later strikes are just worked well. But Bryan at this stage in his career doesn’t need to prove himself taking real shots. You can entertain crowds and protect yourself at the same time.

Will say when they go to the mat it’s absolutely superb. These kind of nuances working holds is sorely missed and Taz is great explaining it to the audience.

I thought this was a very good match that could have been great with 3 mins less and one dozen strike exchanges less. I mean I get it, it'sMiSu, this is exactly what the crowd wanted, but Danielson is clever enough to keep them invested without giving himself unnecessary trauma. Especially because the technical exchanges were superb. 

Most interesting thing of that match was what happened when Danielson wasn't phasing someone by his skill and presence. Suzuki just grinning it off took Danielson to a place he basically hasn't been in 2021. And while the strike exchanges were not for me either, it primarily informed me how interested I'll be when he has Orange Cassidy taking him back there sometime in the next year.

Suzuki finally looked like a beast. Which was something he lacked in the Mox matches. If an AEW fan that didn't know anything about him saw this match, I think he/she would understand what the aura/reputation of MiSu might be all about.

Kind of off topic but I I'm kind of tired of hearing the "I wish Danielson didn't do X" because of his health. Don't know what else dude gotta do to keep folk from treating him like he's special in terms of the damage these guys take in the ring (and specially when working a stiffer style). I understand if you just don't like the style overall, but man, there's so many wrestlers that are people in way worse shape than he is that keep doing this style and I never read "man, wish he was working different!".

For me it made it better that the crowd was not that hot for the first two matches, but Bryan and MiSu drew them in 100 percent with strike exchanges, mat work, and character work. Amazing stuff. That is how to work a crowd! Also: THAT is how to WORK a (series of) strike exchange(s). I

Legit right up there with Ishii vs Moose and WALTER vs Dragunov in my personal MOTY list. Enjoyed that more than Bryan v Kenny, which is REALLY saying somethung.

2 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

If you're a fan of that 2010s NJPW style, Danielson-Suzuki might be the best AEW match ever for you.  This board has historically not been fans of that style on the whole...

I don't think it was like a 2010s WK main event at all. There were barely any chain reversals for starters. I just wish they had toned down on the strike exchanges towards the end.

Just now, Matt D said:

Ok, I'm enjoying Punk a lot, but there's a bit of a fat elvis lounge act vibe with how much he's enjoying himself and playing off the crowd. But mostly I'm hoping someone makes him really pay for it eventually.

He needs someone to do.for him what (as you correctly pointed out) MiSu did for Bryan!

That being said, I am.all for people, including wrestlers, being happy