Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/18 - 10/24 Did you know Rod Stewart plagiarized a Brazilian artist?

KawadaSmile

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

She was a heel even to a then retired Edge. She was such a dickhead and still very popular.

So were Austin and Rock always. Doesn't mean you should turn them heel. Dressing obnoxiously doesn't turn you heel when everyone loves you; it probably increases the love. Rock wearing sunglasses indoors was obnoxious too after all. 

Also the Edge thing was before she officially turned face.

Don't forget they were also trying to make her a heel when Nia broke her face, until the image of her all bloody made her a complete badass babyface to the fans. This all just smacks of Vince making sure he gets what he wants in the end no matter if the fans want it or not. 

6 hours ago, MoS said:

So were Austin and Rock always. Doesn't mean you should turn them heel. Dressing obnoxiously doesn't turn you heel when everyone loves you; it probably increases the love. Rock wearing sunglasses indoors was obnoxious too after all. 

Also the Edge thing was before she officially turned face.

All I'm saying is that her demeanor changed so little it really makes not much of a difference in her specific case. She was already champ when she berated Edge, the fan support was there regardless and her demeanor barely changed after she became "officially" a face. Not much changed, really.

She's at that Rock/Austin level of being above clear heel/face dynamics.

Like, she just has to be a dickhead to someone who's clearly a face, like Bianca. If she is a dickhead to someone like Charlotte or Sasha, then things change. She barely has to change anything about her nowadays.

4 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

She's at that Rock/Austin level of being above clear heel/face dynamics.

That's a really bad example to use. 

"She's just as cool as she was before, she is just being booked as a heel now, against faces" is also the point I am making. It's why I find it so unappealing. That is the problem, it's why I have no interest in seeing her in a role where she is supposed to get booed. I don't enjoy booing her. Thus this argument that she behaves the same with everyone doesn't hold water with me when she is being clearly positioned as a heel against Bianca. 

Also, her demeanour absolutely changed after she became a face. She was no longer saying she hates the fans for not believing in her. She was no longer walking out of her matches midway like a coward, the way she did against Charlotte in their last woman standing match. If anything, they went too far the other direction for a while immediately after, giving into the usual trope of making her an underdog babyface against the evil McMahons. She was booked like the company ace in 2019.

You could make a strong case that Rock was even more of a dickhead after turning face, he'd even go out of his way to humiliate whatever backstage geek was interviewing him, 

6 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Watching AEW makes me feel like I'm a part of something. I'm pretty sure that's Tony's intention.

Watching WWE makes me feel like a dickhead a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure that's Vince's intention.

Also this. So much this. Even when WWE does something cool, they almost always make me feel like an asshole for even caring about it in the end. 

8 hours ago, FMKK said:

Any Observer Hall of Fame case that Roman Reigns might have has died this week at the hands of The Bunny and the UBS Centre in Long Island. What a time to be alive.

Don't be mean. He already looked like a complete idiot with his "I can beat up your guys for real" shit, to which Junior Dos Santos apparently replied "Ok, lezzzgo", which I'm sure wasn't the expected reaction. Now WWE hotshotted their two biggest stars in the lead-in for their biggest show of the year (monetary wise, and booking wise too since this it's legit the biggest match and best storyline they have) and apart from a large mass of over 50 fans who have been watching WWE out of habits for the last 30 years, they have tied the allmighty Bunny in the key demo. How is that not a win ? Plus with that brand new super hot and fresh NXT2.0 show coming up, they already have booked the killer angle everybody wanted to see for the last 23 years with the guy who's the son of a guy they can't name but everybody knows this was the peak of his career anyway : the return of Chucky. They clearly are on the right path.

So, after a tournament filled with nothing but matches that lasted less than 3 minutes, the finals are going to be Zelina Vega vs Doudrop in Saudi Arabia....

A lady they fired for daring to talk about unionization, only to bring her back and fire her husband like two months later vs a girl who probably got her name because it makes Vince and Dunn laugh, in a country that looks at women as second class human beings.

The Women's Revolution is looking great these days.....

What's funny is Vic Joseph had that weird statement on NXT last week which seemed to be addressing the audience complaints (using pointedly non WWE lingo like audience instead of "WWE Universe") and pledging to do better, they literally just kept doing the same old bullshit. WWE seems to honestly think if they acknowledge fan complaints but never actually do anything about them then it will solve the complaints. 

Dave went on a "I'm not mad, I'm disappointed" style rant on WOR last night/this morning about how someone needs to have the balls to tell Vince this shit isn't working but no one will because they fear losing their jobs. This seems to hammer home how vital Pat Patterson was to the company. He seems to have been the only person who was able to give honest criticism that Vince would A: listen to and B: not fire him over it.  No one exists like that in today's WWE so nothing will ever change. 

16 minutes ago, sek69 said:

This seems to hammer home how vital Pat Patterson was to the company. He seems to have been the only person who was able to give honest criticism that Vince would A: listen to and B: not fire him over it.  No one exists like that in today's WWE so nothing will ever change. 

Not true. Brucie said many times on Conrad's podcast that no one disagreed more than him. Yeah, I know, I need that Kappa emote from Twitch to really make that one work.

I mean, really. CHUCKY ? That's the next brillant idea for NXT2.0's first special show. Ponder that one for a minute. *Everything* about this is wrong. Everything. Even I am baffled.

I know bubba really loves the Big Dog, but I don't know how some of you guys still hang in there every week. Nothing I read seems particularly interesting and the thought of six hours of WWE TV every week sounds like a stage of hell, as much fun as watching every game for a baseball team with a ton of money but that is 50 games out of first place and getting blown out almost every night 

1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

I know bubba really loves the Big Dog, but I don't know how some of you guys still hang in there every week. Nothing I read seems particularly interesting and the thought of six hours of WWE TV every week sounds like a stage of hell, as much fun as watching every game for a baseball team with a ton of money but that is 50 games out of first place and getting blown out almost every night 

I mean, I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan so even the last 20 years of WWE malaise is a drop in the bucket by comparison. 

To be fair to the good bubba, Roman's segments are usually top notch. It's just when he starts shootin' on the marks online where he gets into cringe territory. 

Also I know Roman is being a good soldier when he does that, but there's nothing sadder than seeing someone you're sure knows better towing such a demonstrably bullshit company line. 

Vince is 76 years old and living in his bubble. He won't change. He can't. It's too late. The company has reached a level of brand awareness and financial security which makes them idiot proof for a long while, but as far as perception goes, they are cursed as long as AEW is around and doing what they do. And if AEW is around long enough (and Coach Tony K doesn't lose his mind and/or burn out), they'll change the perception of what a mainstream pro-wrestling company can be. If you're a 20 year old wrestler today, I have no idea why you'd want to work for WWE. If you're a 20 years old watcher today, I have no idea why you'd want to watch WWE (and they don't, NXT2.0 median age the other week, 62 years old). The kids are the future of the industry, both as viewers and workers, and they are not having fantasies about WWE anymore. Cena was the tree that hid the forest for a while, but the seeds were there a long time ago (the fact that the Attitude Era is still considered like the be all and end all by the promotion is very telling).

AEW is basically the result of the culture of the internet pro-wrestling hardcore fandom, people who have not only loved all kind of pro-wrestling but also went through the demise of ECW and WCW and learned from it. TNA could not do it because it was too soon and it was created by the very people who already had fucked it up (not to mention the total ineptness of the owners). It took time and maturation and years of frustration (and of course stars aligning in term of the right guy with the right opportunity and the right workers being free at the right time). The best hope for the future is that indeed, the mainstream idea that pro-wrestling = WWE dies once and for all and we have a more flourishing and diverse pro-wrestling landscape that actually can matter on the big stage.

17 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Roman shouldn't lose any sleep. FS1 nights usually mean death, and a tie in the demo is just *chef's kiss*

It was the least rated FS1 show in the demo (and probably also overall viewership, although I haven't checked) in Smackdown history, all having big games on Fox, including one that went against a big college football game. None of those SD shows were as loaded as this one.