Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Saudimoney Bloodmania, Saudimania Bloodmoney

KawadaSmile

17 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

Adding to his resume as being a HOF second, never mind being a HOF promoter/booker!

Even if you throw out his entire Paul E. Dangerously run, his recent "advocate" run has made him HOF manager status for me.  His promos and ability to draw interest in programs has him on my Mt. Rushmore of managers with Heenan, Cornette, and Hart

His case status as a HOF manager is certainly better than his promoter one. Booker one I can still understand although it can be debated, but ECW lost money every year of its existence, and a lot of it was due to Heyman's financial mismanagement and his inability to strike the right deals at the right time, which are part of being a HOF promoter. 

I always thought it was kind of unfair to hold that against promoters, since in the end the only one who didn't run out of money was Vince. Heyman's booking was legendary and it reshaped the entire business since it got the industry leaders to change what they were doing to match it. The whole Attitude Era was just ECW with a bigger budget. 

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Not really. Saudi Arabia and Israël are in good speaking terms right now. Which is fitting, since they are both criminal regimes. 

3 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Louder! Say it louder!

Speaking as somebody who has Israeli family and friends who have served in the IDF, I am delighted to quite loudly and firmly invite you both to shut the fuck up.

So, wrestling...

Several years ago, JBL on commentary called Heyman the greatest manager of all time. Ever since then, I've periodically wondered who really deserves that title (in kayfabe). Heyman is an obvious candidate, as is Bobby Heenan. Lou Albano topped Bruno when he was seemingly invincible and managed a boatload of tag team champions. The Grand Wizard deserves consideration for what he did with Stan Stasiak and Superstar Graham in the WWWF and Sheik in Detroit before that. Who else?

The funny thing is that in kayfabe all Bobby Heenan ever did was give Hulk a run for his money and even Andre couldn't win the title until he was managed by Ted DiBiase. He was a way better manager in a kayfabe sense in the AWA with Bockwinkel. 

Captain Lou is probably the best manager in WWF/E history with leading like 16 different tag champions over the course of like 30 years. Maybe Arnold Skaaland too since he managed Bruno and Bob Backlund. 

While watching a bunch of late 80s/early 90s wcw lately I noticed that Heyman always played more to the cameras ringside than to the crowd. I'm sure a lot of the old school guys didn't like that but it was probably smart long term wise because he was familiarizing himself more with a wider audience 

3 hours ago, Strummer said:

While watching a bunch of late 80s/early 90s wcw lately I noticed that Heyman always played more to the cameras ringside than to the crowd. I'm sure a lot of the old school guys didn't like that but it was probably smart long term wise because he was familiarizing himself more with a wider audience 

Meltzer writes about how Cornette in his local regional promos would constantly make inside jokes and other things designed to pop the crowd. It isn't surprising that some of the more acclaimed and beloved people in wrestling smarkdom are the ones who realized early on the power of the written word, even in a medium as despised as dirtsheets. Ironic, given Meltzer's own stance on re-evaluating past performances.

I will indeed shut the fuck up but *strictly* because it's PWO and not because someone who doesn't know anything about me "firmly invites me to shut the fuck up". 

And hell, if things go *really wrong* in about six months, ya can all make fun of France for turning into a proto-fascist state. 

End of the political snide remarks (on a thread that is all about political snide remarks, really)

So, no technical difficulties on the plane this time around ?

I think this was the first Saudi show that was actually pretty good. Real interesting how the last couple of these they were real strict on not mentioning where it was being held or why it was on at such a weird time for Americans because of the backlash after the Khashoggi murder and various talents boycotting due to various things. But this time around, god damn they couldn't say Riyadh or Saudi Arabia enough. 

On 10/21/2021 at 6:56 PM, NintendoLogic said:

So, wrestling...

Several years ago, JBL on commentary called Heyman the greatest manager of all time. Ever since then, I've periodically wondered who really deserves that title (in kayfabe). Heyman is an obvious candidate, as is Bobby Heenan. Lou Albano topped Bruno when he was seemingly invincible and managed a boatload of tag team champions. The Grand Wizard deserves consideration for what he did with Stan Stasiak and Superstar Graham in the WWWF and Sheik in Detroit before that. Who else?

This should be its own thread. There's a lot of discussion to be had & candidates to be name-dropped. Also, if you look at it from a titles perspective, not just the world title, there's some interesting cases especially around tag teams.