Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
NintendoLogic

2021 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame

I've been in Japan throughout the period we're talking about. I'm not glued to the TV every night, I'll admit, but I still find it hard to see the footprint you're talking about. I'm sure you can find it if you look for it, but it isn't an inescapable presence in daily life. Apparently, Bushiroad took New Japan out of insolvency and is generating more revenue than the late 90s, though where these revenue streams come from, I'm not sure, as live attendance still isn't as high as it was in the 90s. Clearly the management has been good, and it was wrong of me to say that business is mediocre. I still think it's crazy that he got close to a unanimous vote, but I guess the success that New Japan has had in the 2010s is important to voters. 

The consensus is that Kazuchika Okada may very well be the greatest wrestler ever. That's why.

Also, Meltz actually said Don Owen was not a bad choice and that longevity actually was the reason why.

1 hour ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Apparently, Bushiroad took New Japan out of insolvency and is generating more revenue than the late 90s, though where these revenue streams come from, I'm not sure, as live attendance still isn't as high as it was in the 90s. Clearly the management has been good, and it was wrong of me to say that business is mediocre.

The extra revenue streams are NJPW world, much more merchandise (all those stupid rainmaker towels & Naito stuffed bears you'd see loads of fans with), higher ticket prices for shows and licencing their intellectual property for dumb mobile games.

But yeah, Okada would have got in even without NJPW doing good business because as El-P says Okada is viewed by many people as among the best in-ring performers of all time.