KawadaSmile

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I feel like the difference is WCW would have paid someone else six figures for the rights to tie into this instead of WWE getting paid seven figures to do it.

AEW apparently paid $50,000 to Warner Bros. for the rights to use a Space Jam themed entrance on Dynamite, only 12 days after Space Jam 2 had been released. That was some WCW level dumbfuckery.

7 minutes ago, Champagne said:

AEW apparently paid $50,000 to Warner Bros. for the rights to use a Space Jam themed entrance on Dynamite, only 12 days after Space Jam 2 had been released. That was some WCW level dumbfuckery.

That doesn't make sense since they air on TNT which is a Warner Bros property. I think someone floated that one to try to make AEW look bad. It's like the Chucky stuff in WWE, sometimes you gotta do something silly to make your TV partner happy. 

7 minutes ago, sek69 said:

That doesn't make sense since they air on TNT which is a Warner Bros property. I think someone floated that one to try to make AEW look bad. It's like the Chucky stuff in WWE, sometimes you gotta do something silly to make your TV partner happy. 

Matt Jackson mentioned the 50 k expenditure on Being the Elite. I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility. Remember Eric Bischoff was able to get TBS and TNT to pay to air WCW programming even through the promotion and networks were part of the same company.

14 hours ago, Champagne said:

Matt Jackson mentioned the 50 k expenditure on Being the Elite. I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility. Remember Eric Bischoff was able to get TBS and TNT to pay to air WCW programming even through the promotion and networks were part of the same company.

I am no accounting expert, but I guess you would call that "cost transparency", stuff that WCW (or (AOL-)Time Warner) apparently was barely doing which made the WCW numbers much worse than they actually were.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:35 AM, Coffey said:

I would argue that from top to bottom, WWE has never been worse. There might have been worse moments but overall? This is the worst WWE has ever been. It's just complete & total apathy from a roster that seemingly has been so demoralized they don't care anymore either. Nevermind the writing & booking, it's just awful television.

Agreed. I meant there have been worse moments, but top to bottom, WWE has never been this bad and dull. Even the mid-'90s  - when every character had a side job - was more entertaining than this.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:48 PM, sek69 said:

WWE reportedly got seven figures from Netflix to promote Rock's movie so I'm sure Vince considers it a success no matter what us nerds think. 

As stupid as the angle was, it reminded me about Red Notice, and I watched it (and Disney+'s Jungle Cruise, which doesn't help Netflix or WWE, but still).

On 11/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, sek69 said:

It made the Kenny Omega playing basketball scene possible and that is worth all the money in the world.

Surprised no one is talking about Ridge Holland losing his main roster debut match in three minutes and then losing again in a battle royal the same night. 

Looks like yet another NXT call-up has been double-Krossed.

How long before Ridge faces the Wrath of Khan?

I legit couldn't pick Ridge Holland out of a police line-up. I Googled the name & have no familiarity with that man whatsoever. I feel like this is the most out-of-touch I've ever been with the WWE product. I never watch the TV. I never watch NXT. I don't go out of my way to even watch any of the PPVs anymore. I've not even bothered with old shows since WWE switched from their own network to NBC Peacock. 

I just saw the debut of Jonah in Impact & was like "whoa, that guy is awesome." I didn't see any of his run in NXT & I wish I would have. I love me a good hoss. 

The fact that Vince doesn't know/see/care about performers like Keith Lee, Ruby Riott, and even Adam Cole (who I'm not a big fan of but clearly he has a fanbase) but believes Ridge Holland and Austin Theory could be future stars is as much proof as anything that he has lost touch with the wrestling audience. I know AEW isn't flawless but it is night-and-day when compared to WWE's ability to create stars. 

Does the WWE even have any babyfaces that are as beloved by its audience as much as the AEW audience loves Jungle Boy? Aside from Jeff Hardy and New Day, none of whom could be considered fresh new talent, I can't think of anyone. 

If you named the top 10 babyfaces in American pro-wrestling right now, I'm not sure the WWE would have anyone in the top 5 and that's kinda baffling. 

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Before they completely botched Becky/Bianca, I think Bianca could be argued as a top 10 to top 5 babyface, yes. 

Also I don't think Vince even sees something in Ridge Holland. A trio between Sheamus, Cesaro and him would be so good, but a no-brainer like that is still asking too much.

Yeah I think Ridge Holland was just part of the "call up people Vince might be into" deal they did when NXT switched to TWO POINT OH. 

Also I think people were less mad at him jobbing on day one than Kross since no one really had any expectations that he would have any success on the main roster when Kross and Scarlett's act in NXT seemed like a no brainer.