Pro Wrestling Only

Best wrestler of 2021

yesdanielbryan

Your username gives us the best possible answer, really.

But other than Bryan, we have the usual suspects in Roman and Omega. I'd argue Sheamus, Lashley, Drew and Big E all had incredible years as well.

Miro's run as TNT Champ was for a long time the best part of AEW to me, and the matches delivered most of the time - not to mention the promos!

Kenny Omega. Amazing title reign, great big match worker, great gimmick worker, great TV worker against a variety of different opponents. Great heel champion, great reign that led to the perfect passing of the torch. The best championship reign in pro-wrestling since the Okada big ace reign. This year has solidified his GOAT contendership.

RAW is often a chore and WWE's presentation is so off-putting even for a forum "hardcore" as this which can easily watch blurriest fancams. 

But the likes of Drew, Sheamus and Riddle really put in a shift on a week to week basis. It is really depressing how pointless their personal efforts are in the ring are.

Kenny and Tam Nakano are my picks if you are talking about wrestlers that wrestled consistently. I don't think there should be too much hand wringing about Danielson. Yes, he had time off but he still was the dude that saved the main event fricken Wrestlemania in terms of interest/chemistry. And has been so otherworldly captivating in his AEW run. 

I know that no one watches NXT UK weekly but as of right now A-Kid is my WOTY and my pick for best in the world. He's very good at selling, submissions, strikes, and all the subtleness in a match where someone can appreciate. My MOTY is the Devlin/A-Kid Iron Man Match which was phenomenal. He's had matches with WALTER, Tyler Bate, Devlin, Dragunov which were all incredible. 

Bryan was the best wrestler in WWE, took 4 months off, then returned as the best wrestler in AEW.  He'd get my vote.  I was really enjoying Roman for the first half of the year but then the act started to wain, WWE ran out of interesting babyfaces and I was really disappointed in the Brock match.    

I've found Japan to largely be unwatchable in 2021, but Syuri has been fantastic whenever I've checked out her matches.

There's a strong argument to be made, the more I think on it, but it depends on your personal preferences above all.

Ibushi rose to prominence doing comedy and was taken seriously because HE WAS INCREDIBLE doing it, to the point where you wanted to see him work a serious show. When he did? He was just as incredible, and he's been delivering high quality work his entire career.

But when I think of everything I love about pro wrestling? It's Danielson. And not even close. He was putting on technical wrestling clinics with only a couple years under his belt, connected with an international audience through both personality AND work, and was able to overcome the myriad of garbage booking that WWE tossed his way for years. He was the focal point of ROH during its peak years of importance and delivered with any and all, drew high quality matches out of mediocre talents, and has only gotten better since returning from a once-thought career ending series of injuries.

Ibushi is great. Danielson is one of the absolute greatest.

Danielson and Ibushi are two sides of the same coin if you think about it. They both overcame the size/indy stigma to become main eventers in their country's biggest pro wrestling promotion. They both work a high-risk style that has led to serious injuries. And they're both known for working matches with inanimate objects (Ibushi with Yoshihiko, Danielson with The Miz).