Pro Wrestling Only

National Wrestling Alliance

Autistic Dragon

National Wrestling Alliance - Wikipedia

NWA Live at the Eddie Graham Sports Complex is Orlando FL 7/6/87

Rocky King defeats Thunderfoot with a DDT.

Road Warrior Animal wins a 20 man battle royal to challenge for the NWA United States Title in the main event.

Ranger Ross defeats Tony Anthony with the "Combat Kick"

"Chief" Joe Lightfoot defeats El Santo Negro with an Indian Death Lock.

(The following match was promoted as Radiance vs Spartanburg Vice. However Martel originally only came to the ring with Jimmy Del Ray. Taking the house mic she announced that Doug Somers had failed Radiance for the last time at the Great American Bash. As such she introduced the newest member of Radiance, & Del Ray's new partner...."Golden Boy" Chic Donavon!)

Radiance (Jimmy Del Ray & Chic Donavon) w/"Sensational" Sherri Martel defeat Spartanburg Vice (Jerry Bryant & Lou Winston) when a Martel distraction lead to a double flapjack on Winston.

"Shooting Star" Keiichi Yamada defeats Iceman Parsons w/Slick with the "Shooting Star Press"

NWA United States Title

Stan "The Lariat" Hansen(c) defeats Road Warrior Animal w/"Precious" Paul Ellering after ducking under a flying shoulderblock & hitting the Lariat.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NWA Live at the Lee County Civic Center in Fort Myers FL 7/8/87

"The Polynesian Prince" Siva Afi defeats Angel of Death with a jumping headbutt.

"Black Magic" Norman Smiley w Ms Linda defeats Jim Brunzell with "Norman Conquest" 

Joel "Dead Eye" Deaton defeats Brickhouse Brown with a bulldog.

NWA United States Tag Team Titles

The S&S Express (Joe Savoldi & Shaun Simpson) defeat Brutha's in Arms (Shaska Whatley & Tiger Conway Jr) w/Slick by countout when the Express dropkick both Brutha's through the ropes & Slick decides to lead them to the back instead of continuing the match.

Road Warrior Animal gets his shot at Stan Hansen. WOW! The fans get one heck of a main event to look forward to.

Always liked the "Combat Kick" name as a finisher. 

Looking forward to watching Lightfoot perform as a heel.

Gigolo is out and Chick Donovan is in! I've enjoyed Chick throughout the game. The new Radiance is off to a good start.

Big win for Yamada as he takes down the Iceman.

The visual of Hansen putting Animal down with the lariat was awesome. Stan is the man! 

Fort Meyers,

Siva gets the crowd going with a big win.

Smiley continues his win streak with a win over Jump'n Jim. 

Deaton vs. Brickhouse is the kind of mid card match up I like. 

Slick gets his men out of there. However, I think S&S have earned another shot. 

I saw it every week... NWA continues to roll... most consistent of us all and by golly you've got some really fun things happening. Hansen and the Road Warriors... the clash of clashes that everyone wants. I always liked to see teams split for singles matches if it builds to something else. The Warrior were so synonymous with one another... one breaking off into something big could be an intriguing way to go!

WWE Network Roundup (Nov. 22-28): Survivor Series, NWA World Championship  Wrestling - Cageside Seats

From the Grady Cole Center in Charlotte NC.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & Tony Schiavone.

Ring Announcer: David Crockett

Previously recorded Airing on 7/9/87 on the USA Network.

Ranger Ross vs Barry O

Ranger Ross is making his return to the NWA after a respectable run in Chicago. While the always arrogant Barry O gave a good account of himself, the U.S army veteran refused to be deterred & finally claimed victory with his "Combat Kick"

"Mr Excitement" Johnny Ace vs "Superstar" Bill Dundee w/Ms Linda

Another man who recently returned to the NWA -incidentally after his own stint in Chicago-  is Bill Dundee who wasted no time reuniting with his former Six Man Title partners Adrian Street & Giant Haystacks as well as their new protege Norman Smiley.  The Superstar clearly hadn't missed a step, laying into his opponent with a combination of British mat wrestling & Memphis style brawling. Ace was no pushover however & mounted a spirited counterattack. The result was a energetic, competitive match that really pulled in the crowd. Ace manages to get Dundee into position for the "Ace Crusher" but the Australian born athlete pushes him off. Seeing an opportunity, Ms Linda gets on the apron & obtains the attention of referee Nick Patrick. Undeterred, Ace goes for his finisher again but this time Dundee drops to a knee & delivers a uppercut to the uprights. He quickly scales the ropes to land "Bombs Away" just as Linda releases Patrick & the pin is academic.

Good & Plenty (Ray Candy & Sweet Brown Sugar) vs Radiance (Jimmy Del Ray & Chic Donavon) w/"Sensational" Sherri Martel

Commentary inform the viewing audience of Doug Somers' excommunication from Radiance following the loss in the Texas Tornado match at the Great American Bash & reintroduce Chic Donavon who they point out competed in the final months of Mid-Atlantic. Despite being new to teaming with each other, Del Ray & Donovan show impressive teamwork isolation SBS for a good portion of the match. After a lengthy heat segment, Brown finally makes the tag to Candy who spends the next couple of minutes bouncing both members of Radiance around the ring. However he makes the mistake of picking Donovan up for a slam too close to the ropes allowing Martel to reach in & trip him. She then proceeds to hold the big man's feet during the following pinfall leading to a tainted 3 count. Question her methods if you will but there's no doubt Martel has gotten her team back on the winning track in impressive time.

"Lone Star" Brian Adidas vs Joel "Dead Eye" Deaton

These two tough Texans give the fans a very entertaining brawl with Adidas sprinkling in enough wrestling to keep it from growing stale. Commentary are sure to hype Adidas bringing the Grapplers into the NWA & their winning the NWA World Six Man Tag Team Titles. Halfway through the match Zodiac can be seen observing from the aisle though he makes no move to interfere. The finish comes via Adidas countering a bulldog attempt into the "Original Spike" for the submission victory.

NWA World Television Title

Tom "MegaMan" McGee(c) vs Iceman Parsons w/Slick

Commentary explain that in due to the lack of a championship contenders match before the Great American Bash, Parsons was selected by the championship commettie due to an impressive win-loss record over recent months. Slick was a constant source of irritation at ringside being sure to interject whenever his client appeared to be in trouble. That combined with Parsons undeniable ability created quite the challenge for McGee. However as he had done repeatedly during his title reign, the champion dug deep & used his combination of athleticism & raw power to battle back finally landing his slingshot legdrop for another successful defense. Commentary note that while Norman Smiley is undoubtedly waiting in the wings for a rematch after their draw at the Bash, it's tough to imagine anyone derailing the roll MegaMan has been on.

NWA World Heavyweight Champion "Nature Boy" Ric Flair & "Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez vs The Minnesota Wrecking Crew (Arn & Ole Anderson) w/JJ Dillon

Flair receives a massive hometown welcome as commentary note the mutual defense pact he seems to have struck with Fernandez. They likewise note that Tully Blanchard has resigned from the NWA in protest of what he calls "biased officiating which cost him the World Title" leaving  Dillon & the Andersons as the only remaining members of the Horsemen. As for the main event, the story is that as great as Flair & Fernandez are individually, they simply can't match the teamwork of the former World Tag Team Champions. That cohesion, combined with the ever present Dillon, sees the Wrecking Crew in control for sizable portions of the match. Near the end of TV time, Fernandez is trying to make the tag to Flair after being kept in the ring for a lengthy period. Just as he leaps for the tag however, Flair is pulled from the apron by a man who emerges from the crowd. Tommy Young immediately calls for the bell as the mystery man slams Flair into the guardrail before slugging security guards who try to apprehend him. Meanwhile in the ring, The Anderson's have kept up their attacks on Fernandez preventing him from coming to his partner's aid. The attacker rolls Flair into the ring allowing the camera to get a clear shot of his face revealing him to be.... BUDDY LANDEL! The smirking Landel shakes hands with Dillon who then holds Flairs legs while Landel comes off the ropes for his corkscrew elbowdrop. He then takes the mic & the final thing we hear is him proclaim...

BL: Oh praise be, what a glorious day for the NWA because the REAL Nature Boy has arrived!

The SmarK Rant for NWA Worldwide Wrestling–01.30.88 – Scotts Blog of Doom!

Taped at the Grady Cole Center in Charlotte NC before WCW.

Originally airing 7/10/87 on the USA Network.

With your host "The Dean of professional wrestling" Gordon Solie.

The Grapplers (1&2) defeat Fire & Flame when Grappler#2 pins Fire with a running knee lift.

"Chief" Joe Lightfoot defeats George South with a Indian Death Lock.

Brickhouse Brown defeats Mitch Snow with a spinning neckbreacker.

Winner challenges for the NWA World Television Title on next week's WCW.

Black Bart defeats "Super Rookie" Hiroshi Hase with the "Texas Trash Compactor"

In other news...

We see a pre-taped promo from British Justice welcoming Bill Dundee back into the fold. Street announces that in honor of their Australian collage they'll be renaming themselves to the Commonwealth "in solidarity with our fellow royal subjects down in Alabama."

After his match Joe Lightfoot cuts a promo where he dismisses Two Eagles as "an anchor weighing him down" as well as "a disgrace to the proud tradition of native American warriors". Says he's done playing nice & from now on he's proclaiming himself the Chief for the entire NWA.

We see footage of Rocky Johnson set to "Soul Man"  by the Blues Brothers. We see him facing off with a variety of opponents with particular focus on his rapid fire punches. The video ends with a graphic saying "The Soul Man is coming"

Really great WCW show this week.  As I was reading, I thought I missed something and went back up to see if this was a huge event as the matches kept getting better and better.  This show reminded me of a late 90's show with superstars vs superstars all throughout the card.  Really entertaining read!  One of the matches that surprised me was seeing Good N Plenty go down in defeat.  I guess I should never be surprised when Sherri is involved.  I like what you have done with Magee.  It is fun to see all of our interpretations of wrestlers.  I don't know so much of of Magee but Iceman was huge when I watched World Class as a kid.  He was like the JYD of Texas and then to see Magee go over him points out why this game and hobby are so cool.  Everyone sees things differently which is perfect and believable as long as the build up is there and you really built up this card really well!  WOW... So who is the REAL NATURE BOY?  This will be fun to watch!

Thanks for the great read and glad the cable mess was sorted out.

A fun set of shows. I like seeing Buddy Landell come out and call out Flair at the end. I’ve always enjoyed Buddy and I like the idea of seeing him take it to Flair. 

I do have to say it’s really wild seeing Tom McGee be a champion since in lore he was awful but I have enjoyed the way you built him and are building him up. It’s fun seeing the NWA bring it.

Keep up the great work. 

Glad everything worked out for you. It would've been a major bummer without the NWA for a month. 

Ross and his Combat kick is getting over.

Ace puts up a fight, but Linda and Dundee are too much for anyone. 

Chic and Gigolo along with Sherri make a splash by taking down Good & Plenty. 

I really like the push Adias is getting. 

Mega Man keeps riding his wave of momentum! Big time win over the Iceman. However, Smiley is waiting.

YES! Budro has arrived! This is awesome!!!! Can't wait for the Battle of the Nature Boys! The NWA will be racking in the money.

Worldwide,

In a very short time, the Grapplers have become a top team here.

Looking forward to Lightfoot's heel run. The Chief means business. 

Black Bart will give Mega Man a fight. No doubt about it. 

The Soul Man is coming! Great way to showcase his arrival. 

Exciting week! 

NWA Live at the Asheville Civic Center in Asheville NC 7/13/87

Arn Anderson wins a 20 man battle royal to challenge for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in the main event.

Giant Haystacks defeats 3 local talents by piling them on top of each other and dropping a elbow on the pile.

Ranger Ross defeats Thunderfoot with the "Combat Kick"

Jason the Terrible defeats "The Polynesian Prince" Siva Afi after a distraction from Angel of Death allows him to hit Afi with his axhandle.

The New Breed (Chris Champion & Sean Royal) defeat Spartanburg Vice (Jerry Bryant & Lou Winston) when Royal pins Bryant with his feet on the ropes.

"Shooting Star" Keiichi Yamada defeats Angel of Death with the "Shooting Star Press"

"Tennessee Stud" Robert Fuller defeats "Super Rookie" Hiroshi Hase with a kick from his "loaded" boot.

NWA World Six Man Tag Team Titles

"Lone Star" Brian Adidas & The Grapplers(c) defeat Radiance (Jimmy Del Ray, Chic Donavon & Adrian Adonis) w/"Sensational" Sherri Martel when Grappler #2 pins Del Ray with a Lariat.

NWA World Heavyweight Title

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair(c) defeats Arn Anderson w/JJ Dillon by countering a attempted Gordbuster into an inside cradle after 30+ minutes of technical magic.

Double A gets his shot tonight.

Haystacks once again proves his dominance over 3 men! 

Ross nails his Combat kick before Thunderfoot can load his boot. 

It takes a distraction and an axehandle to put Siva down. 

New Breed are getting into title contention.

Yamada excites the crowd with the Shooting Star Press. 

Fuller gets his loaded boot in to defeat Hase. 

Adias and The Grapplers retain over Sherri's group. I'm sure Sherri will want a rematch. 

Flair ends the night on a high note by retaining over Arn in a classic. 

Great card for the people of Ashville.  I am sure the tickets in Ashville were a hot ticket but you might have sold a few more if you billed the main event as Flair vs Arn Anderson before that night instead of the Battle Royal to see who would face Flair.  TO me, you have done such a great job of getting Flair in the most heated angle of the game between himself and the former Horseman that it is like printing money!  Either way, it made for a really awesome event in Ashville.  Battle Royals are always fun to watch.  Haystacks 3-1 is cool and little kids will be talking about this monster for the entire lives.  That plus I think the last 4 matches were really huge.  Finishing with the two big title matches with one being Flair vs Arn and you have created a night to remember for all!  Awesome event!

WWE Network Roundup (Nov. 22-28): Survivor Series, NWA World Championship  Wrestling - Cageside Seats

From the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg SC.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & Tony Schiavone.

Previously recorded/Airing on 7/16/87

Spartanburg Vice (Jerry Bryant & Lou Winston) vs Fire & Flame

While the two masked men do manage to isolate Bryant for a period & land some solid blows, the hot tag to Winston turns the tide & leads to the win via the "Spartanburg Special". Commentary hype the budding rivalry with The New Breed throughout.

Sweet Brown Sugar vs "Chief" Joe Lightfoot

SBS uses his speed to frustrate Lightfoot early & manages a couple near falls. The self appointed "Chief of the NWA" regroups on the floor & takes it to Brown with agressive brawling as well as stretching the rules as far as he can without breaking them. With the crowd behind him Sugar manages a few rallies but Lightfoot shuts them down usually with a blow to the leg. This serves as perfect set-up for the Indian Death Lock & while SBS resists for a while, the inevitable submission. Lightfoot refuses to break the hold despite referee instructions but thankfully Ray Candy runs down before permanent injury can be done. Candy can be heard inviting Lightfoot back in the ring but Lightfoot simply collects his ornate headdress & walks away.

The S&S Express (Joe Savoldi & Shaun Simpson) vs The New Breed (Chris Champion Sean Royal)

Commentary hype the Express' big win in the Texas Tornado match at the Bash & place them at the front of the line for title contention. The New Breed are determined to move up the ranks themselves & really bring it, particularly working over Simpson. Savoldi gets the tag & is a house of fire. After an intense match, The "Express Lane" secures the win for the Express but the New Breed still made an impression.

TS: Ladies and gentlemen, my guest at this time is the man who's appearance on last week's episode of WCW shocked the wrestling world. Here is "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel!

(Massive heat as Landel struts to the ring which gets cranked even higher when JJ Dillon follows behind)

TS: Buddy Landel you're no stranger to being the center of controversy throughout your career & last week was no exception. You show up unannounced & to my knowledge at least uninvited, interrupt the main event & to top it off you do so by assaulting the World Champion & seemingly aligning yourself with the Horsemen. I think I speak for our entire audience when I say you two have some explaining to do.

BL: You want an explanation? OK I'll explain it to you & I'll use small words so these South Carolina hillbillies can understand. *Boos* I know, I know the truth hurts but it's not my fault you losers are stuck in this backwater you try & pass off as a state. *Louder Boos* But back to your question Scha... actually you know what? I've got a question for you. Do you know the significance of May 31st 1985?

TS: *confused* Can't say that I do, why?

BL: Well Skee-a-vone I'd normally blast your shameful ignorance but I understand you're from Georgia so I'll let it slide... this time. Allow me to educate you & your fellow hayseeds but do me a favor & try to pay me the attention you clearly didn't pay in school. *Deafening Boos*. May 31st 1985 was the night the AWA -not the current version which only exist so Jerry Jarrett can keep putting World Titles on beloved Jerry "The Burger King" Lawler but the version before that...or the one before that, there's been so many it's getting hard to keep track but I digress- whichever version it was held an event called "Rage in the Cage" in Ric Flair's real hometown of Minneapolis Minnesota. And it was on that night in the main event *some fan yells "you were third from the top* Boy any match I'm in is the main event know sit down & shut up! As I was saying it was on that night in the MAIN EVENT that I, the REAL NATURE BOY overcome two broken legs, a fractured neck & a double concussion to whoop that 5th rate Buddy Landel knockoff in under 5 minutes! I beat him so bad he had to run back to Jim Crackpot or whatever his stupid name is to beg for a job. And I was content to let it end there but then I get a phone call from JJ here explaining that not only has "Slick Ric" politic-ed his way to the World Title but he screwed over my close, personal friend Tully Blanchard to do it! Well I wasn't about to stand for that! So now here we are Buddy Landel is signed with the Horsemen & the NWA is about to find out what the AWA already learned, that there's only ONE true Nature Boy in this business & it's the same man who's your next NWA World Heavyweight Champion!

Main event. NWA World Television Title

Tom "MegaMan" McGee(c) vs Black Bart

The burly Texan had a straight forward strategy for becoming the new TV champ, hit McGee till he stopped moving then pin him. To hi credit, he did a fine job on the first half, and "MegaMan" was bruised & battered towards the end of the match. The second half however proved tougher to pull off as no matter how much punishment the Pampa native dished out, McGee just kept coming back for more to Bart's mounting frustration. This frustration may have cost him as he took too much time jaw-jacking with fans as he climbed the ropes for the "Texas Trash Compactor" allowing McGee to roll towards the corner avoiding the blow. Wasting just enough time to properly adjust Bart's positioning, he left the ring before immediately re-entering with the slingshot legdrop for the win in his most painful defense yet.

Taped at the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg SC.

Originally airing on 7/17/87 on the USA Network.

"Shooting Star" Keiichi Yamada defeats Dusty Wolfe with the "Shooting Star Press".

"Nature Boy" Buddy Landel w/JJ Dillon defeats "Stray Cat" Brodie Chase with the Corkscrew elbowdrop.

The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell) defeat Executioner & Thunderfoot with a double dropkick on Executioner.

Winner challenges for the NWA World Television Title next week on WCW.

Zodiac defeats Ranger Ross with a distraction from Angel of Death & a handful of tights.

In other news....

Solie announces the NWA will be hosting a Labor Day Spectacular on September 5th which will be airing live on the USA Network. Details will be revealed in the following weeks & he'll be announcing the venue next week.

Another video package hyping the arrival of Rocky Johnson. Solie dubs Johnson "one of the most entertaining athletes in the sport today"

Spartanburg Vice always delivers in Spartanburg. 

I'm really liking the career resurgence of Lightfoot. SBS probably doesn't agree.

S&S gets the win over the New Breed and solidify themselves as true contenders.

Wow! What a promo by Landel! Your attention to the history of this game truly impresses me. I'm so pumped up for the Nature Boys feud. 

Bart gives McGhee a fight and his toughest challenge. However, the Mega Man prevails. 

Worldwide,

Landel's corkscrew elbow was one of my favorite finishers. 

Killer Bees are rising the ranks.

Zodiac gets his shot. Mega Man vs. Zodiac, it sells itself. 

Soul Man is getting some big time hype. 

With all these great storylines going, the Labor Day Spectacular will no doubt deliver. 

Wanted to let you guys know I'll be skipping the house shows for the next couple weeks. The main reason is that I usually use wrestlingdata.com to place them but as JCP was running the Great American Bash as a tour with many of the shows outside my territory, it's really thrown off my system. Also this should help me catch up quicker. Just wanted to let y'all know.

From the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg FL.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & Tony Schiavone

Previously recorded/Airing on 7/23/87 the USA Network.

"The Candyman" Ray Candy vs "Chief" Joe Lightfoot

After Lightfoot's behavior during & after his victory over Sweet Brown Sugar last week, Candy requested this match to get some payback. In a new addition to his look, Lightfoot brings what commentary describes as an "Indian warclub' to the ring with him. The match itself is a straight forward brawl with the ending comes as Candy is pounding on Lightfoot in the corner. When the ref pulls Candy back, Lightfoot retrieves the "warclub" & when Candy shoves the ref away Lightfoot nails him in the head with it. The ref turns around just in time for Lightfoot to have thrown the weapon outside & make the pin for the 1...2...3.

"The Polynesian Prince" Siva Afi vs Barry O

Afi is decidedly unimpressed by Barry's strutting around the ring & let's him know it with a series of blistering chops. We get a nice back-and-forth where you get the feeling Barry could win but his showboating keeps costing him. This plays into the finish as he has Afi in a vulnerable position but takes the time to make his "big O" gesture to the fans causing him to turn around into a jumping headbutt with defeat following immediately afterwards.

The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell) vs The Dirty White Boys (Len Denton & Tony Anthony)

The Bees high speed offense collides with the DWB's rough & tumble southern brawling in a clash of styles that keeps the fans hooked throughout. It breaks down towards the end with all 4 men in the ring which allows Denton to kick Brunzell with the head with his "loaded" boot for the win.

Bruiser Brody vs "Iron Fist" Duke Myers

Give Myers credit, if he's intimidated he does a decent job hiding it & doesn't shy away throwing hands with the towering madman. Though he lands some good, stiff shots this is clearly Brody's match with the pin being academic after the "King Kong Knee Drop"

NWA World Television Title

Tom "MegaMan" McGee vs Zodiac

Jason & AoD accompany Zodiac to the ring but the ref sends them to the back before ringing the bell. The masked man clearly has the champ off his game, attacking from every angle & using any sneaky trick he can think of. McGee struggles for a bit but Is eventually able to rally & retain with the slingshot legdrop.

Main event.

"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes vs Ole Anderson w/JJ Dillon

One of the most iconic feuds in the history of the Florida/Georgia territories makes its way to the USA Network. These two give the viewing audience a taste of what they can do as they really tear into each other. As we're approaching the end of TV time, Dusty has Ole rocking with quick jabs & is winding up for the "flip, flop & fly" when Arn Anderson & Buddy Landel storm the ring. We get a 3-1 beatdown as the ref calls for the bell. Suddenly the crowd erupt as Ric Flair & Manny Fernandez charge down the aisle. The Andersons try to cut them off but their arrival gives Rhodes enough breathing room to mount his own comeback & the show goes off the air with the scene of all 6 men pounding away on each other.

Taped at the Bayfront Center before WCW.

Originally airing on 7/24/87 on the USA Network.

Brickhouse Brown defeats Punisher with a swinging neckbreacker.

The Stud Stable (Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden) defeat The Interns (1&2) with a Spike Piledriver on Intern #2.

"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez defeats "Tough" Tony Falk with the "Flying Burrito"

Main event. Winner challenges for the NWA World Television Title on next week's WCW.

"Superstar" Bill Dundee w/Ms Linda defeats "Super Rookie" Hiroshi Hase after Ms Linda hits Hase in the head with her purse.

In other news....

Another video hyping the arrival of Rocky Johnson with the graphic now reading "The Soul Man arrives next week on WCW!"

As promised Solie reveals that the Labor Day Spectacular will be airing live from the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond VA on September 5th. Matches will be announced in the coming weeks. Solie also announced that the main event for next weeks WCW will be a battle royal with the winner challenging for the NWA World Heavyweight Title at the big event.