Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/29 - 12/05 PALMEIRAS REPEATS AND IS NOW A THREE TIME LIBERTADORES DA AMERICA CHAMPION

KawadaSmile

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I don't have a frame of reference being an American sports fan, but I imagine NXT 2.0 is the equivalent of being a fan of a football team that got regulated to a lower division/level. 

Hey bubba, some 2nd division teams are actually really popular. A better comparison would be like those clubs that have money yet fail to win anything meaningful or have great attendance numbers. There are some in Brazil and all over Europe.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Hey bubba, some 2nd division teams are actually really popular. A better comparison would be like those clubs that have money yet fail to win anything meaningful or have great attendance numbers. There are some in Brazil and all over Europe.

Everton, then.

I guess that makes NXT:UK Millwall?

Small yet rabid support base, morally corrupt people and more a tax-break philanthropy venture by the owner at this point.

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also there's been two separate times (Edge to Miz and Liv to Becky) where they script promos to blame people losing their jobs on other wrestlers and not the company "budget cutting" when they are raking in billions. Kinda gross IMO.

They did it with Drake Maverick during his first release so that's not surprising, but I'm right along with you in it's totally gross.

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

I don't have a frame of reference being an American sports fan, but I imagine NXT 2.0 is the equivalent of being a fan of a football team that got regulated to a lower division/level. 

Probably akin to the 1997 Marlins, 1994 Expos, 90s and 2000s Padres, 1995-2001 Mariners.  Teams where ownerships have huge fire sales after a white hot season in order to keep at an operating budget.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:20 PM, sek69 said:

Also there's been two separate times (Edge to Miz and Liv to Becky) where they script promos to blame people losing their jobs on other wrestlers and not the company "budget cutting" when they are raking in billions. Kinda gross IMO.

What makes it even more ludicrous is that, as Bix pointed out on Twitter, it echoed the episode of WWE Confidential where they tried to blame Bret Hart's contract for WCW going out of business.

Just read that Beth Phoenix is leaving NXT. Personally, I never really dug her on commentary. I didn't necessarily hate her or anything, but in the pantheon of commentators, she was maybe average at best. Its a whole other conversation and I'd readily admit to coming off a bit sexist here, but I would've loved to see her maybe have a spotlight role in commentating women's matches as part of a 2-person team or in position not dissimilar to the way Mike Tenay was originally used on Nitro because that is her area of expertise and (I'm guessing) a passion of hers.

Then, maybe once we'd gotten a sense of her commentary personality/style, it would've worked for her to be on more and more of the show. 

As it was, I just can't think of a single time that I ever thought Beth offered much insight, though I also can't recall a time when it even felt like she had the opportunity to share real insight or her  experience. If she'd commentated the Mae Young Classics, for example, that would've probably come across much easier. Instead, she was just a voice to me.