Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestle Kingdom 16

sek69

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the conversation was started by someone blaming Ospreay for the dropoff in attendance between nights 1 and 2, which is silly because that happens every year. I can't speak to his drawing power on the UK indies, but he appears to have been responsible for a significant increase in NJPW World subscriptions in the UK a few years ago. He does seem to have cooled off quite a bit since turning heel, though. Between that and Becky Lynch's current run, it's pretty clear that wrestlers doing bad Conor McGregor impressions is not what fans want to see.

27 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

it's pretty clear that wrestlers doing bad Conor McGregor impressions is not what fans want to see.

It’s funny cuz now apparently wrestlers now think doing bad Logan Paul impersonations is the way to go(I’ve seen a little bit of that guy AJ Styles is feuding with).

I don't know if I'd draw any final conclusions on Ospreay's drawing power after this weird-ass year, with New Japan being in the weird-ass place it's in. But I certainly don't think he's proved much yet. When New Japan added him to the Strong shows in the US... they did the same terrible numbers they'd been doing. But also maybe no one was saving those shows (Jay White was on those shows too, and Suzuki). Same can probably be said of where the British indies are at right now. 

Night 1 was a solid show with a great main event that still felt underwhelming by WK standards.  Shingo and Okada have had a few great outings before this year but this match didn't feel at all on the level of Okada's WK outings with Tanahashi, Omega, Naito II or even Ospreay last year or this year.  The undercard was also underwhelming although generally inoffensive.  Generally, because Ishii/Evil was a colossal and insulting waste of a talent.  I don't need Ishii booked in a featured role but he's one of the best wrestlers in the world over the last decade.  If you're going to give him a singles title match on a big show, don't ruin it with the booking that's plagued the company over the last year and a half.  Perhaps that's asking too much but it seemed like a kick in the nuts on this show.

Night 2 was a lot better as I thought Okada/Ospreay was better than the night 1 main event and enjoyed Naito/Cobb more than anything else on either undercard.  

Meltzer is reporting that Shibata legitimately went off-script when he changed the rules of his match and everyone backstage was freaking out when it happened. So there you go. I suppose it could be an elaborate WCW-esque attempt to work the boys, but I doubt it.

By the way, for you all you GWE voters, Dick Togo being the driving force behind the House of Torture surely has to be a black mark on his candidacy if not an outright disqualifier.

I could not understand him, But he was totally channeling Inoki with his cadence. If it was a shoot, then I feel like he’s taking his shot to get control of the book. To be honest that actually wouldn’t be a horrible thing at this point. This company really needs a very public way of saying “We are going to fix this”.

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Meltzer is reporting that Shibata legitimately went off-script when he changed the rules of his match and everyone backstage was freaking out when it happened. So there you go. I suppose it could be an elaborate WCW-esque attempt to work the boys, but I doubt it.

By the way, for you all you GWE voters, Dick Togo being the driving force behind the House of Torture surely has to be a black mark on his candidacy if not an outright disqualifier.

Remember when Low Ki dressed up as Agent 47 without clearing it with the people backstage in what ended up being his last NJPW match? Fun times. Of course Shibata ain't going the same path but it's always fun to reminisce about wrestlers going into business for themselves.

They are wrestlers. They can call it in the ring, but I have a feeling he told him the plan. He is basically his  main trainer now, and Narita respects him. I’m sure the greater office also really likes Shibata a lot. Remember Kidani is the one that brought him back against the wishes of the roster at one time.

Also the announcers making multiple references to Shibata going in to business for himself seemed like a red flag because that's the cardinal rule that you don't call attention to it if that's really whats happening. I could see the initial "wtf" type reaction but no one was in their headsets telling them to chill?

Seems like Kidani and Shibata probably agreed to give him a test run in a real match to see what would happen and agreed to pretend somehow he was able to pull a shoot. Kidani's reaction being all "Shibata, amirite?" seems like the complete opposite to how management in a Japanese company would react to that as well. 

Just from the way it was shot and presented, I very much doubt it was a shoot, at least a complete shoot. Especially given this is New Japan. This promotion was built on this shit. Hell it nearly died due to this shit. I am very surprised Dave seems to have bought the "Shibata went into the business for himself" line without any skepticism. He has been in and around the business for so long, surely his bullshit detector should go off?

30 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Meltzer believes anything and everything told to him at face value when it comes to puro companies

That's really stupid of him then, I mean he covered Inokiism in real time, as well as all the 80s NJPW scandals