Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - January 19, 2022

MoS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Loss said:

Felt like the wrong team won that main event. The Acclaimed are the #1 ranked team and that win would have really catapulted them. At some point, they have to start pulling the trigger on some of these guys.

Perhaps it's time for Sting and Darby to actually get a title shot 

20 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I feel we do this each cycle. AEW slow builds both because they only have 4 PPVs a year, so the first few weeks of a cycle introduces the new feuds while we all complain the show is "meh". I mean, we're not wrong they kinda are, but it also seems to be the point. 

The good ol' "it's not supposed to be good, pal!" quote from Vince to Jericho (I think when he had to face Fandango at WM?)

I like Britt but I don't care one bit about this power couple. Otoh, I actually care quite a bit about Cassidy-Statlander, I think both of them have a natural charisma, sloppy apron flips aside (just do power moves Kris, that's your strength and appeal!) and they do have some on-screen chemistry. 

Lol why are we so concerned about the self-proclaimed new Hardcore Legend going through a table. Everyone goes through a table on Dynamite. And of course another no-dq match. It's like TK saw the WWE comment in that newspaper article and delightfully doubled down.

Hey nice they finally seem to be breaking the Inner Circle?!?! You are right Santana, Jericho has been holding you back!

I thought the Mox promo was what it needed to be. He looked in much better shape and expressed himself in a way that was authentic to him. The key was that they didn't over-book it and allowed Mox to play to his strength which is talking.

I thought for a moment they were actually going to add some layers to Wardlow-MJF and have MJF actually act like a human being and treat Wardlow with a modicum of respect. Jokes on me I guess. I often see this compared to Batista-HHH the difference is that HHH rarely if ever treated Batista like this. Batista was actually smart to stick around and ended up out-playing the game which is why it worked. Here Wardlow just seems like a low IQ muscle-head and bit of a coward for not backing himself outside of MJF.

I'm more selective about what I watch when it comes to Dynamite these days, so the Punk segment was one of the few things I was looking forward to. The whole thing lasted six minutes, confirmed what has already been established and it should end the run of Spears but it won't. Poor Andrew Everett was sacrificed for this slop. I'll give it this, Punk was good staring down MJF and had good intensity behind his facial expressions but the rest?

I got tricked into watching the Cody promo. I'm not sure what was worse, the content or the delivery. The way Cody embellishes certain words with this strange warble is so off-putting, I don't know how anyone could ever take him seriously. I'm done with Cody, never again.

I'm fine with the PAC-Malakai match, I wish both guys had more momentum but hopefully it can rekindle the fire. The dungeons and dragons content from PAC was hammy but thankfully his Newcastle accent lended itself to it. It was nice to see Team Taz for all of 30 seconds. Does Lio Rush have Covid...or did TK mentor him into another retirement?

I miss Danielson.

Wardlow and MJF are not like HHH and Batista though, that was a very different dynamic. Wardlow in kayfabe is signed only to MJF, he doesn't have an AEW contract. It's more an updated long-drawn version of Shawn-Diesel than anything. 

That Jade-Anna backstage segment was STRAIGHT out of a modern WWE TV show and it's tired backstage template, stilted contrived "dialogue" included. What's happened to this show in this hour?!

11 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

I'm fine with the PAC-Malakai match, I wish both guys had more momentum but hopefully it can rekindle the fire. The dungeons and dragons content from PAC was hammy but thankfully his Newcastle accent lended itself to it.

I just caught up to this segment and this is exactly what I thought too haha

6 minutes ago, MoS said:

Wardlow and MJF are not like HHH and Batista though, that was a very different dynamic. Wardlow in kayfabe is signed only to MJF, he doesn't have an AEW contract. It's more an updated long-drawn version of Shawn-Diesel than anything.

I agree but that's often the comparison that's made online. I don't even get a Shawn-Diesel vibe because their friendship came across on television whereas this feels strictly professional. I'm sure there's another old-school comparison and the angle is fine but I think they could come up with a better justification behind why Wardlow sticks with MJF despite MJF treating him like trash for over two years. The whole he's signed to MJF not AEW isn't believable and even then, why wouldn't Wardlow just back himself to get signed by TK? Has he seen who else TK has signed?

Like I said, it's fine 'rasslin story-telling that's been effective, it's just a little lazy.