Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Wrestlemania 38 the Mania of Wrestling

KawadaSmile

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That finish felt really out of nowhere. You've got this seemingly critical moment where you can hear Roman telling Paul his shoulder is "gone" and 10 seconds later, he does a spear no problem and that's it? I'm OK with flash finishes, but this almost felt like the type of finish you do when someone's legit hurt and you've got to send it home early.

Just now, Afro Steel said:

That finish felt really out of nowhere. You've got this seemingly critical moment where you can hear Roman telling Paul his shoulder is "gone" and 10 seconds later, he does a spear no problem and that's it? I'm OK with flash finishes, but this almost felt like the type of finish you do when someone's legit hurt and you've got to send it home early.

My guess is that Brock was legit hurt (Roman was moving his arms just fine, so I guess it was just him playing up for a dramatic finish later) and they had to cut the match short.

Either way, they had a no frills, straight violence match. Did I want more? Yes. Was it a great time regardless? Yes. Is Roman the greatest wrestler of our and all times? Fuck yes.

2 minutes ago, Afro Steel said:

That's what I thought,  I thought they called an audible and went home

The main event sounds like the usual boring finisher spamming Lesnar match that has been boring for ever now. So, how many times has poor Roman being crowned at Mania already now ? :P All this and now you've got a year of useless booking coming up until they get to Mania season at Hollywood so they can have The Rock. Mania truly has turned into a variety show geared toward celebrity stunts and nostalgia. Which, if it works for its audience, is perfectly fine and all. Reading the reactions though, there's nothing from day 2 I'd want to watch (as AJ vs Edge apparently was pretty underwhelming). Still probably gonna check the best stuff from day 1.

Edge/AJ was good. Pretty good, even. It was worked slowly but everything had a purpose and meaning. Not the best match I've seen this WM (Becky/Bianca), but still pretty good. Annoying finish outta nowhere, but it is what it is with this company.

The main event was boring. Same old shit with these two, but now Roman fucking Reigns is a chicken shit heel for most of the match. How interesting. Obviously, for the finish, he becomes some sort of allmighty god that can beat Brock clean. He's so terribly inconsistent in his character by this point. This has to be one of the worst big sagas of matches of all time, up there with Cole/Gargano, and it's even more frustrating because we 100% know how great they can be together. But sadly WM 31 wasn't the rule.

9 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

THE ROCK'S A PUSSY

I was thrown a bit by some “entertainment newz” site speculation about Rock in Hawaii this month, and that it’s easier to sneak into Dallas that way than LA or Miami *SMH*

At least I didn’t buy into the daughter of Peter Miavia and the widow of Rocky Johnson being in the crowd as a “proof” that The Rock was appearing!

All jokes aside, so they have murdered their entire roster for this fake-ass dream match that was only the third time it had happened, always the same stuff, and now Roman Reigns as a heel is the ultimate world champion of the universe who has killed yet again the guy who was the ultimate killer and the only real plan is an hypothetical match against The Rock at Mania next year. So compelling (no).

I really wonder what Mania will look like in a few years. They gotta get John Cena back to work some big ass nostalgia matches and more celebrities willing to do stuff. And maybe try to sign people away (or back) from AEW to freshen things up. Otherwise, they are making zilch in term of going forward. This year in particular was stunning on that level. Apart from Bianca Belair (which was also the most lauded match) and Kevin Owens to a degree (although I'm not sure it will mean anything more than it was in the grand scheme of things, a moment, plus Owens has already been there for years now and was already established as a main event guys for a while).

25 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Sami Zayn vs Johnny Knoxville is a legit MOTYC

Any "match" where the participants are LOLing and they botch the Giant Mousetrap finisher...oh god just typing giant mousetrap finisher has made me re-evaluate my life. 

10 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Johnny not flinching for a second to circumvent the mousetrap not working shows he has a more clear head than 95% of wrestlers.

He's just not a pro-wrestler so he doesn't think like one. Not a matter of "more clear head", just a matter of not being caught in certain kind of automatisms. 

Saw McAfee vs Theory + fuckery, that was great. Also saw the main event, not so great. Really weird they didn't go full blood for this match. At this point they kinda don't have any other choice but to do finisher spamming and no selling so at least give it a wild bloody brawl feel to make it special.

Still, last year's Mania was well received and from what I've gathered this was even better so good on WWE for getting their shit right. Even if it's just for 1 weekend, being able to establish that no one comes close to this type of spectacle AND it's a fun ass show to watch is something they can't afford to lose at this point.

21 minutes ago, El-P said:

He's just not a pro-wrestler so he doesn't think like one. Not a matter of "more clear head", just a matter of not being caught in certain kind of automatisms. 

Cheers for those quotation marks, something was bothering me about the phrasing.

You are 100% right, but I always found it weird that a vast majority of wrestlers isn't able to improvise when things go awry. Most people tend to repeat the spot they just blew up, calling attention to it being blown in the first place. Or, worst cade scenario, that Elimination Chamber 15 (or was it 16) match happens and everything completely falls apart WHILE they improvise.

Once in a while, on the other hand, we get Usos and Nakamura being absolute pros and working around something the crowd wasn't even aware of, and as such were lauded.

So after several years of sacrificing everyone on the roster to build to "The Biggest Wrestlemania Match of All Time" (a title which Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Warrior,  and Rock/Austin scoff at) we now have heel Roman Reigns as the top guy holding both world titles....

and the only guy coming out of the show with any babyface momentum that seems to be on the level to realistically challenge him... is 57 year old, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin who despite being retired for 19 years was hands down the biggest star of the weekend, both in the eyes of the fans, and was treated as such by the company.

It never ceases to amaze that the company who spent the better part of it's existence with the hero babyface on top is now totally and utterly incapable of creating a single babyface that the fans are willing to get behind long term. 

11 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

You are 100% right, but I always found it weird that a vast majority of wrestlers isn't able to improvise when things go awry. Most people tend to repeat the spot they just blew up, calling attention to it being blown in the first place. Or, worst cade scenario, that Elimination Chamber 15 (or was it 16) match happens and everything completely falls apart WHILE they improvise.

Which is why it's so great when something so obviously goes wrong and they manage to work around it and make it part of the match. The most famous occurence maybe the infamous Sasuke botch during J-Cup where Liger doesn't even bat an eye and goes "LOL you dumbass". With pro-wrestling getting more and more complex in term of moves and sequences, and more and more agented too, it's becoming even more difficult for them to be good at it, but sometime it still happens. And of course there are also probably times where we actually don't realize they changed something on the fly too because we don't see what went wrong.