WWE Wrestlemania 38 the Mania of Wrestling

KawadaSmile

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lukeless said:

Wasn't sure if this was a joke or not.

But then I saw this.  Why do you feel the need to disparage something you obviously don't watch?  Seems a bit odd to me.

But yea Mania was pretty great.  Stone Cold was my favorite wrestler for a long time and it was so cool to watch his match.

I think there's more than enough video evidence of AEW being a slop shop. And I did it because it was funny to me.

I only watch WWE a few times a year because it sucks ass too, if that helps.

You know who his dad is, right?

I’m watching the scrum now. Obviously time will tell how this goes but I get why he did it, and the fact he can talk proud about what he did during the time off tells me he is being as sincere as he can about at least how fatherhood has changed his priorities, and the bonds he made during his last run over the difficulties he had as he left.

I will say the whole “don’t want to be AEW champ because I still want to be WWE champ” is a nice bit of carn.

I tried to watch as much as I could have live last night, but exhaustion got the better of me and I ended up tapping out when the Miz match started. Lynch/Belair has been getting a lot of buzz, so I went back and watched it. It deserves all the praise it's gotten and then some. I don't want to jump the gun, but my gut tells me it's the greatest women's match in WWE history. Becky's ring attire and makeup kind of reminded me of Akira Hokuto, and she turned in a performance worthy of the Dangerous Queen. I'm amazed that kick to the face didn't knock Bianca out legit.

About to watch Seth/Cody. Seth "Freakin" Rollins is his actual ring name? Fuck off.

Not gonna lie, all the "Wow, Cody in WWE is so awesome, he' such a star, such a huge loss for AEW" from the same people who were going "Cody was a midcarder in WWE and is a midcarder for life" is really fucking ironic. Won't even mention the whole music thingy (cf Hardies & Punk debacles). 

Really now, it's a matter of choice. Of course he would get a huge pop at Mania. Will he sustain it ? Will the booking sustain it ? If Vince wants to send a message to guys he might want to get like MJF, he sure needs to keep Cody in the top spots forever, and Cody has to know this. Now, is he right to think that way (because Vince making sense is an irrational bet at this point), only time will tell. But hey, he got "an absurd amount of money" (I think we got that point), which also validates AEW as serious competition, so good for him for playing his cards. Now, in the long-term, who the hell knows.

44 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Probably Austin not wanting to put extra pressure on himself.

Plus knowing that the match would essentially be a glorified squash, it’s easier to push as a potential outcome of a confrontation, than push it as a match, with the unattainable expectations of what a vintage Austin vs a vintage Steen/Owens could have been.

21 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Him choking up when talking about meeting his favorite wrestler, Triple H, is in the Hall of Fame of carny shit.

My thought was "well that will guarantee he'll never be cheered if he ever goes back to AEW",  the old man is beaming his million dollar smile somewhere over that piece of business.

Also still getting over the realization that Logan Paul is much better at being the Miz than Miz is. 

Seth/Cody actually ended up being really good. Probably my second-favorite Seth match behind the Lesnar match at Summerslam 2019. He must have just discovered 90s All Japan, because he did a rolling elbow, Kawada-style kicks to the face, and Kobashi's running with his opponent before whipping them into the ropes and then kneeing them in the gut on the rebound. "Welcome back to the big leagues, bitch" also got a chuckle out of me.

Bianca/Becky and Seth/Cody are enough to make this Mania an easy thumbs up for me. I don't know if I'll watch all of night two live, but I'll definitely check out Edge/AJ and Brock/Roman after the fact if I don't.

At what point did the ring announcers stopped saying where the wrestlers are hailing from and what they are weighing? Okay, they have not announced the weight of the women for a long time (because talking about the weight of women is sexist?), but at least yesterday, they did this for the men as well plus no more billing where the people are from.

9 minutes ago, Robert S said:

At what point did the ring announcers stopped saying where the wrestlers are hailing from and what they are weighing? Okay, they have not announced the weight of the women for a long time (because talking about the weight of women is sexist?), but at least yesterday, they did this for the men as well plus no more billing where the people are from.

Cody got announced as being from Atlanta, GA.  Pretty sure I heard Davenport Iowa for Rollins.

Considering that Jericho was openly mocking the EVP title as "mark" shit and saying he asked for extra money instead because he realizes there's only one boss in reality, I can understand why Cody wouldn't consider being an EVP a bargaining chip when it's a ceremonial title at best, and he was having - in his own words - personal issues with others he couldn't get past. At this point, with a new baby, he may as well chase the money and original dream of becoming the first Rhodes to win a World Title in WWE.

He can always go back to AEW, and - don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise - he would be welcomed back there with open arms after a few years away. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all of that...

14 minutes ago, C.S. said:

He can always go back to AEW, and - don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise - he would be welcomed back there with open arms after a few years away. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all of that...

Yup.  Dusty, Flair, Arn, Luger, Sid, JJ Dillon, Steiners, etc. And that’s just WCW.  

We all know about the list of personnel who left the WWF/WWE and returned.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

My thought was "well that will guarantee he'll never be cheered if he ever goes back to AEW",  the old man is beaming his million dollar smile somewhere over that piece of business.

Also still getting over the realization that Logan Paul is much better at being the Miz than Miz is. 

Logan Paul was a better wrestler than Miz in that match, too. There was so much space between every strike Miz had that entire match and no amount of camera tricks could hide it.

Lot of chatter tonight that

Spoiler

Rock is showing up to set a match with Roman for next year.  I noticed his mom in the crowd last night which is common but heard his wife as also there which adds a bit of intrigue.

Looking forward to seeing how things play out.  I had low expectations for last night and they were blown out of the water.  Now I'm expecting a good show tonight and fully prepared to be disappointed.  Let's go!

1. It'd be pretty lol for Night 1 to end with Austin's music and Night 2 end with Rock's music. In 2022.

2. It'd also be pretty lol to do another year long Rock build to a match, a decade after the last time he did it, but with a family member that he's almost assuredly going to see multiple times a year at family gatherings.

Every time I hear the "He has a family" argument (about him or anyone else) I fucking cringe. Like with the money he would have made in AEW, his family would not have been secured or whatever. Sure... I'd rather have someone be frank and talk about just making the most money like Lesnar. A least it's honest. But anyway, that was never the most cringe thing about his fatherhood, the worst (well apart from *that* promo) was always his thing about not wanting to turn heel because he would not want his daughter watch him do bad things. What a markish attitude and honestly what a slap in the face of every heel wrestler who had kids ever. I always found it utterly ridiculous. 

Plus, let's be real, as much as Cody's debut was a success, it would have been a thousand times better if he had come out full fledge invading dirtbag cutting a promo on HHH like :

"Hey you might have seen me destroy a throne some time back, now I'm here to claim the whole kingdom. You heard it right King of Kings. I would gladly rip your heart out but woopsie, apparently life and karma has already taken care of that piece of business." 

Now THAT would be a Mania Moment tm. 

So bubba, what's your take ? Lesnar or Roman ? I know you'll enjoy the thing anyway so ! B)