Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 5/9-5/15 The Backlash to the Backlash

sek69

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently his new deal allows him a lot less house-show and matches on TV too from now on. Let's be real here. They built their entire company and only narrative around "Roman wins against everybody and no one is at his level" for years, and now he's gonna end up a part-timer for the Summer. Which once again, makes the entire company looks like a complete afterthought when he's not there, basically waiting for Mania season to start so Roman can win at Mania again. This company is so thrilling.

Even from a big fan's perspective, I don't get what's interesting about a guy who never loses. It's boring as fuck, it tells no story and it makes everything else irrelevant. We know that the plan for Mania next year is Roman vs Rock, which Roman should win for obvious reasons, so why care about anything that happens between now and then, whether it involves Roman or not (aka even he if loses one to Drew, which seems doubtful at this point, it means jackshit in the grand scheme of things) ? I loved Kenny Omega's multi-title champ reign, but him losing to Christian on the Rampage debut was a memorable moment, and the closer (for now) of the Omega & Page story was a highlight of last's year's AEW and made Page. And his comeback will mean even more because it's the start of another part of his career arc. Roman Reigns ? Who cares : he always wins, and he must main event Mania to win at Mania until next Mania. Until he decides to go Cena on them, then it's time for the next chosen one (Austin Theory maybe ? Have a good laugh, people). And people shit on Charlotte ? Really ? And she isn't in the same power position as Roman is either (no one is in WWE, except Lesnar).

Because WWE is no longer a week-to-week promotion. It is a build to “big moments” where they churn it out until then. 

This isn’t a surprise. Been this way for years now. The company keeps turning over a profit and they don’t really care about weekly stuff being in-ring memorable anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Because WWE is no longer a week-to-week promotion. It is a build to “big moments” where they churn it out until then. 

But what big moments ? Roman Reigns wins? Then he wins ? Then he wins ? Then he wins at Mania ? Then he wins ? So interesting.

To the public at large (read: Not hardcore fans), they want draws from outside their actual pipeline of talent because they have data that suggests it’s what people want. Hence why Austin did his match this year, etc. It’s not sustainable at all or correct in regards to roster churn but it’s making them money right now. The last earnings call proves that. And they’re gonna do that until it doesn’t. 

They're making ridiculous money because of a specific context (the TV sports & streaming rights bubble) and the fact they are doing propaganda work for a criminal regime (hi MBS !). Not because their booking is worth a shit and their product is interesting.

Funny also how despite making more money than ever, they really have not upped their contract ones bit and the % of the pie has been basically shrinking more and more with each passing year. Roman should ask for ten times what he's making, really. What are they gonna do ? I would love seeing guys like him or Becky Lynch just say fuck it and go to the opposition. If anything, it would benefit *everyone* in the industry, as AEW would without a doubt grow its audience and the workers would have to make more as a result, with WWE just upping the money to get them back. The whole "good soldier" mentality (aka "I'm brain washed and I'm WWE 4 Life") is so fucking dumb.

That’s why Brock got it and nobody else did. Vince respected him for basically holding him up for as much money as he could get. He knew his worth. That’s not a “good solider” mentality holding them back: It’s folks not knowing their value. And the majority of them, once they find value outside of wrestling, choose not to stay in it. 

Which is also why they want to grow people from the very start, so they never know their own value and brainwash them from day 1 as to thinking WWE is the only way to make it and they should be grateful to work for the allmighty. Hence the stupid promos about "OMG I'm in WWE this has been my lifelong dream I'm so happy I can't believe it" for newcomers which make them look like complete idiots to anyone not totally brainwashed. That's the goal of the promotion, to have fans and workers in the same exact mindset (I mean, "WWE Universe" says it all). It's typical toxic "brand loyalty" that has been developed for decades now by Nike, Apple, Starbucks and such.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Even from a big fan's perspective, I don't get what's interesting about a guy who never loses. 

On a more serious note, I don't really mind Roman's reign (hehe love that pun) being lengthy. He has the presence, the feeling is different when he's making his entrance. He's where he should be. The issue lies in that not many wrestlers have been propped as guys who can hang with him. Brock was finally vanquished, good, but who else is there? Drew is someone I like a lot, much like Lashley, but it feels like we would tread old ground.

Roman being challenged by guys like Montez Ford and Cesaro was super dope. It really showed that Tez could indeed be a super strong singles competitor, even if that was essentially an one-off thing. I want to see more of that. They have people to have smaller main event programs. Tell me a Roman/Woods match wouldn't bang super fucking hard? Or Roman vs Chad Gable? WWE is being super complacent, it's what I think.

And while I see your Omega comparison, it wouldn't really be possible in this case, sadly. Even I don't wanna see Roman having ALL the Fed's belts at the same time (part of me does tbh), and given how WWE is essentially an island in terms of working with other companies, we won't seem him having that AAA title run to put someone over. 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

And people shit on Charlotte ? Really ? And she isn't in the same power position as Roman is either (no one is in WWE, except Lesnar).

The biggest issue with Charlotte is that she almost never showed ass during her feuds and was ALWAYS getting the upper hand. Remember when she, for no given reason, went to NXT, beat fan favorite Rhea Ripley and then dropped the belt without even being pinned? While Triple H said "it will all make sense, trust"? Plus the fact she had episodes where she blatantly sandbagged her opponent when she was set to lose (poor Carmella)

I kinda see Roman as a sports analyst type guy, to be honest. A while ago he was a guest pundit on a college football game, I don't recall which one, and he was the only one with accurate predictions on what would happen in the game. Dude is good.

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

And while I see your Omega comparison, it wouldn't really be possible in this case, sadly. Even I don't wanna see Roman having ALL the Fed's belts at the same time (part of me does tbh), and given how WWE is essentially an island in terms of working with other companies, we won't seem him having that AAA title run to put someone over. 

Actually, that's wasn't my point at all. :lol: My point was that as much as I loved having Omega reign supreme on the pro-wrestling landscape and have great match after great matches against everyone, him losing was only necessary as it was always the next step in the story of the company, and I wanted to see him lose eventually (at the right time). 

8 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The biggest issue with Charlotte is that she almost never showed ass during her feuds and was ALWAYS getting the upper hand. Remember when she, for no given reason, went to NXT, beat fan favorite Rhea Ripley and then dropped the belt without even being pinned? While Triple H said "it will all make sense, trust"? Plus the fact she had episodes where she blatantly sandbagged her opponent when she was set to lose (poor Carmella)

Charlotte isn't the booker. Vince is. Vince always is, at the end of the day. Blame anyone in WWE, blame Vince. Let's not pretend Charlotte has the power of Hogan in a "Doesn't work for me brother" way. No one has that power in WWE anymore.

The supposed sandbagging is another issue, but I won't comment on those because it's irrelevant to the current topic.

Unbeatable champs work well as babyfaces (Bruno, Hogan, etc) because they can be superheroes vanquishing the evil menaces of the month. Heel unbeatable champs just make everyone look like geeks since you're asking the crowds to cheer for this month's dead meat. The psychology is all backwards, but such is 2022 WWE. 

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Unbeatable champs work well as babyfaces (Bruno, Hogan, etc) because they can be superheroes vanquishing the evil menaces of the month.

Even that... People bring up Bruno or Hogan like the world 60 or 30 years  ago is the same as today. It ain't. Pro-wrestling is not the same, TV is not the same, audience is not the same. Superman Cena is what turned people against him, and that was more than a decade ago. Sure, the dominant babyface probably would still work to a degree with the WWE audience, but again, is that really that interesting ? I for one have zero interest in that stuff. I had none when Cena was doing it. I find it to be trite. Last time WWE had *really* interesting booking was probably in 1997...

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I'd argue Roman has been more widely accepted NOW that he's the final boss than when he was the guy cutting suffering succotash promos. He's the cocky jock but people fucking LOVE him now.

Yeah that's the issue with WWE now. They used to take someone super over and run with them until the wheels came off. Now they take someone they *want* to be super over and push them until it works or the crowd completely rejects them. in the case of Cena and Roman it eventually worked, but in 99.9% of other cases it doesn't. 

(and that doesn't even include the people they punish for getting themselves over when that wasn't what the company wanted)