Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - May 11/13 2022

MoS

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also I don't get the idea that "too many NXT guys" are a problem. I know most of us are puzzled by it, but Adam Cole is one f the most over people in the company right now. The only other NXT guys are Fish and O'Reilly and they've mostly been used as soldiers for Cole. Unless of course someone is trying to be cute and include Keith Lee in that discussion. It reminds me of the concern trolls who were saying having Jericho and Moxley as the first two champions meant AEW was doing the LOLTNA deal of pushing all ex-WWE guys. 

I don't think it's being cute to call Keith Lee an NXT guy, in as much as he was one of the faces of NXT when they were going head-to-head with AEW. I think the perception of "signing NXT guys" thing is because AEW have signed a bunch of them in a really small timeframe - you've got Cole, Fish, O'Reilly, Lee, Swerve, Toni, Nese, Shafir all debuting in the space of a few months. 

At the same time, I don't see the validity in the argument that AEW are signing too many guys for their TV time. It makes sense to me as such a young company that they're still building, and in this case they're bringing in a lot of options, seeing what sticks and who they can use. It's like the original roster signings - some caught on, others like Janela and Evans didn't, so they weren't retained when their contracts ended. It makes sense to bring in people, see how they fit and how they are as people, then use the ones you can use, while the others get a payday until their deal expires. Everyone wins.

Jeff Hardy going over Darby is stupid. Also, I guess It makes sense for Eddie and PnP to join the BBC, but I expected the stable to be more like "Mox and Bryan recruiting young guys to make them violent enough" as promised since the beginning. If these three guys officially join, now they would be too many and no room for more Yuta-like wrestlers on it.

I think this was their best show in a long while. The Owen Hart qualifiers have been pretty dry so far but now it's started properly, it's picking up. I could really take or leave the eventual coronation of Cole but whatever, the guy is a star, it makes sense to have him win it ahead of the upcoming Omega feud (I assume). As for the male joker, they're really hammering home that Lethal and co know who it is so that rules out Gargano surely? I'm thinking a heel that has some history with Joe. Sadly, it can't be Necro Butcher. I feel like they're going to need to position Darby in a big way soon since losing to Jeff Hardy comes across as a bit strange but all anyone is going to remember is the most batshit insane spot I think I've ever seen. That flip into the chairs was beyond belief but every time I see Hardy brace for a crazy bump, it reminds me of watching Johnny Knoxville in the new Jackass. He should be old enough to know better but clearly not.

Contract signing was some good stuff and I love how Long Island of all places is AEWs "Bizarro Land" I cracked up at "BARRY HOROWITZ: LEGENDARY JEWISH WRESTLER" and Wardlow is in a good place considering, when the angle reached it's conclusion, all the playalong boos disappeared and the place went wild for him. I can take or leave another three-way tag match at the PPV but I assume this one is to get the belts off Jurassic Express so they can start the Christian/Jungle Boy feud. Hookhausen is entertaining midcard work and Mark Sterling actually showed something in that beatdown segment with Nese. I assume they're going to move him away from Jade because god knows she doesn't need him but as a midcard mouthpiece manager, he'll be great if he can keep working like he did with Nese and in the contract signing.

Does anyone really believe that Jericho and his crew stand a chance against Kingston, Ortiz, Santana, JON MOXLEY AND BRYAN DANIELSON? Not to mention Regal. If they do Blood and Guts, Jericho's crew should really get destroyed in record time against that crew of absolute killers.

4 hours ago, subatomic_elbow said:

I'm genuinely afraid they will put the belt on Punk. I don't find him entertaining or engaging. I don't care for his character nor his ring work. I'm not saying he is bad, he just makes me apathetic when he is on-screen. If he's champ, I'm likely to watch less AEW.

I feel completely the opposite and don’t really ever want to watch another Adam Page match (though I don’t fault people who do) but love all of Punk’s comeback run so far.

Also, I assume Lethal and co. screw over Joe in the tournament. 

I just don't want Page to turn heel, even for this one program. I feel that the Bret Hart line was already a step in the wrong direction, and if they decide to take that route just because Punk is getting cheered... What comes after? Really going to use one of your homegrown stars as a heel against the most notorious grumpy fuck of his generation?

I wonder which are the biggest title matches possible for All In if Page is champion or if Punk is champion.

I guess Omega would be for Punk but Page? Not sure...if he indeed turns heel (which I don't see happening, would be such a dumb move) maybe it could be Mox or an awesome Eddie Kingston super babyface push?

This men of the year angle with Sammy and Tay is the absolute pits. None of them are over - at least appropriate to the story and context - none of the booking makes sense, they are all characters with go-away heat at this point 

People falling from high places in an Owen Hart tournament match was certainly an idea... 

Jeff Hardy going over makes absolute sense. Adam Cole beats him and the Hardies get fucked by the Bucks or something, as the dream match of Bucks vs Hardies is the PPV match. Darby is fine. It's not WWE, people. I'm guessing we get a rematch eventually too in which Darby beats his idol (shudder to think what he'd do in THAT one).

Adam Page is not turning heel. It's a babyface vs babyface feud, so there has to be some heelish tones to it to give more dynamic.

Baddy Horowitz just called someone a jobber. MJF was pure gold too.

TonI Storm vs Jaimie Hayter was really good, I want more of those two all the time.

BCC vs Sports Entertainers ? I'm there. Hopefully Regal calls Jericho "sunshine".

I'm guessing we're going toward a three-way for the tag titles, and why not, so many people to book. And then, off we go with Christian Cage vs Jungle Boy start jumping a Jungle Boy single push. Sounds good.

15 hours ago, MoS said:

This men of the year angle with Sammy and Tay is the absolute pits. None of them are over - at least appropriate to the story and context - none of the booking makes sense, they are all characters with go-away heat at this point 

Also it does make me wonder if we will ever see PVZ vs Tay.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, Stiva said:

I'm thinking a heel that has some history with Joe. Sadly, it can't be Necro Butcher. 

I mean, we can and will hope! (Necro returned for XPW's King of the Deathmatch tournament last month and went 18 minutes (!) with Hoodfoot)

19 hours ago, C.S. said:

Where is @MoS with the new thread? I'd start it but that seems like his thing.

I was drowning in work and couldn't get around to it. Everyone please feel free to start a weekly thread when I cannot. Getting around to watching Dynamite now.