Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 06/01 - 06/03 strap the rockets to WARDLOW

KawadaSmile

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news about Punk. Makes me question the wisdom of putting him in a meaningless 6 man tag match on Dynamite. Wrestlers can get hurt at any time against any opponent, but I think especially with your World Champion you would want to lessen the chances and have what they do have meaning. So who faces Mox for the ‘interim championship’? 

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

But unless they flat out fire MJF, how would that work? WWE chickened out, but CM had weeks left in his contract, not years.

Yeah that's a good point. They'd have to come up with a believable reason for him to be in a title match/tournament and then not take the title from him once he won it and decided to fuck off :lol:

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

MJF just feuded for months with Punk. They weren’t ending up together again. The MJF thing is a marathon, not a sprint. Punk was going to have a run. He’s their biggest draw. They’d use him on top as ace for a while. 

Not sure what your argument is here. MJF wouldn't be ending up together with Punk again, Punk is out of the picture. And MJF is their 2nd biggest TV draw after Punk, I think.

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I think the point is that since Punk didn't relinquish the title, MJF winning it would eventually lead to them ending up together again.

Y'know, I'd just go with Wardlow. Fuck it.

It was that whatever plan they have for MJF, it’s probably a very long story and they’re not going to jump right to chapter 7. 

1 minute ago, Jmare007 said:

I think this is before Dynamite? Mox got another singles W against García so that could've given him the push?

How the hell is Cole 2nd after getting beat twice by Page??

Wait how the fuck is Jay Lethal #5? The rankings are insane!

Also Punk, age 43 turning 44 this year, said he was gonna come back from foot surgery harder better faster stronger. I take it he won't be straight edge anymore either.

8 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I take it he won't be straight edge anymore either.

No he won't. He's gonna be chugging that CAFFEINE, brother, and we all know what a narcotic that is. It almost cost Jessie Spano everything

8 hours ago, C.S. said:

No he won't. He's gonna be chugging that CAFFEINE, brother, and we all know what a narcotic that is. It almost cost Jessie Spano everything

:lol:

Well, fuck. AEW is now in some of the most intriguing time of its existence to kickstart its fourth year. Not the best times, but most intriguing in term of how to manage the unexpected.

AEW ranks have always been random as fuck in true WCW spirit. You only realize that now ? 

I would guess the winner of the #1 contender match goes on to face Tanahashi at Forbidden Door. I say fuck it. Have Tanahashi win the damn thing. Interim champs really don't mean anything anyway, might as well try something different and shocking. In the meantime and *since context has changed dramatically*, have Wardlow beat Scorpio Sky (I mean, I gave it time but this isn't working) while he's still relatively hot off the MJF win and try the megapush there. Have the tag-team division the home of great matches galore on weekly basis because AEW needs this (Bucks vs Lucha Brothers is basically Rey vs Eddie everytime, this is crazy, they work a top tier match in their sleep together). 

16 minutes ago, Loss said:

This scenario demonstrates why having rankings is a bad idea, because they find themselves with self-imposed limitations in moments like these.

Well, yes and no, because they obviously don't care and go "Well, Mox is #1" :lol:

But yeah, the rankings and win/loss record are WCW level folklore (how is Nyla Rose #1 contender ? She's never on TV. And really, beating a hundred jobbers on Dark is not equivalent to having 2 or 3 meaningful wins on Dynamite/Rampage, this whole idea of numbers really doesn't ad up in a TV pro-wrestling context).

I get that time is tight but they should have a 2 minute highlight package of Elevation/Dark every week with just clips of finishes to get over that people are getting wins. They won't lose ratings on seeing a bunch of finishes in a row. The scroll at the bottom of the screen really doesn't pay off the investment they put into the webshows every week.

I'll say this, in general. Past Danielson and Punk matches, the number 2 comp that I'd suggest someone make for the last year of AEW would be the women's tag matches (mostly with Nyla and Emi) from Dark/Elevation. There's not much more fun on a week to week basis in the company, especially when people like Ryo Mizunami or Yuka Sakazaki cycle in.