Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 06/08 - 06/10 Lots of fuckery tonight bubbas!

KawadaSmile

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Carrot Top is a legendary stickman. Sororitys nationwide have Carrot Top wings.

Then I stand corrected: Carrot Top is both better on the mic and infinitely cooler than Kyle O'Reilly.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Micheals was fucking awesome. So many of the criticisms are based on his real life shit from the fucking 90's. The whole Bret vs Shawn shit that STILL takes up oxygen amongst some folks is both fucking stupid and amazing.

prefer Bret, but that in no way negates what a tremendous in-ring talent Shawn was.

Watched most of Rampage last night before I fell asleep. Finished it this afternoon. Thought it was a fine episode, nothing super special. I liked Hager vs. Kingston as it was pretty much just a hoss fight. The six-man tag was fun. It was the first time I’ve ever seen Aussie Open (at least that I know of). For someone who isn’t really familiar with New Japan, it’d be nice if they actually took the time to explain who and/or what United Empire is and who Ospreay and these dudes were instead of just assuming everyone knows. That being said, I thought it was a good match but the commercial break really took me out of it.

Usually the people who are fans of him in the business come down to those who idolized him as a kid and his peers who were either in the Clique with him or were not affected by his politicking. IMO it's fair to say Shawn was both a once in a generation level talent and also a drug addled asshole at the same time.

Imagine how HBK would get treated if he was around in the 2020s and did shit like always weaseling out of doing jobs and losing titles. I don't think he would be viewed nearly as favorable as he is now. He'd probably be in that Low-Ki "talented but rubs everyone the wrong way" category. 

4 minutes ago, Sean Reedy said:

I dunno, considering the response to Sasha, HBK might be viewed as a rebel hero nowadays for sticking it to Vince all the time.

Maybe, considering how some people are about not understanding nuance and differences in situations. Sasha from all accounts gets upset at her creative (or lack thereof) to the point she walks out. Hasn't really hurt anyone except maybe Bianca since Vince's plan to fix SummerSlam was to job her in seconds, but that didn't really do too much long term. Shawn on the other hand was one long string of "that doesn't work for me brother" pretty much the entire time he was pushed as champion and top level guy. On to of, if shoot interviews done in the last 20 years were anything close to correct (I know), he went out of his way to fuck with other people's careers by getting pushes snuffed out/not wanting to work with them. 

I could see the first couple times he weasled out of jobbing a title people would still be all "yeah, but the matches....", but after a while I believe most folks would end up with a negative opinion of HBK.

16 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I've realized that one of the various reasons I like Rampage more than Dynamite is Taz on commentary. He's one of the best.

If they would absolutely stick to Excalibur & Taz as the regular duo for Rampage at commentary, it would be the best thing. It just works. No need for Ricky Starks or Chris Jericho at the table for them. Just use those guys in the ring, period. Excalibur & Taz just gel well together.

I met HBK after he got sober and he seemed like a sound lad, very chill, but i think if you pay attention to background stuff & get invested its hard to look past the politics. No doubt he must have been a prick in his prime

I think the stories are pretty comical but if you were in those shoes you'd be angry i guess

He has at least four or five undeniable classics regardless. Trying to lessen that is getting blinded by the external stuff i think

57 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

If they would absolutely stick to Excalibur & Taz as the regular duo for Rampage at commentary, it would be the best thing. It just works. No need for Ricky Starks or Chris Jericho at the table for them. Just use those guys in the ring, period. Excalibur & Taz just gel well together.

I like having Jericho with them because he always breaks Taz with some silly line or something. 

38 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

I met HBK after he got sober and he seemed like a sound lad, very chill, but i think if you pay attention to background stuff & get invested its hard to look past the politics. No doubt he must have been a prick in his prime

Yeah by all accounts and as much as we joke about most of them being another way to work the marks, Shawn seems to have made a legit 180 degree change in his life. No doubt a large part of that is being such a made guy in WWE (he's on the short list of guys Vince would pay whatever it takes to keep them from going on another promotion's TV) that not only did he survive the purge of anyone who ever said "Hi" to Hunter in the office, he ended up basically running NXT 2 POINT OH. 

Also yes, Excalibur and Taz are a great team but only having a two person commentary team is apparently illegal in US wrestling.

This week's Rampage was fucking awesome. It was an example of why a one hour show is the best format for pro wrestling TV. This show rocked from start to end. The Baddies and Statlander are the future of the women's division and are outshining the main event level talent. That Statlander/ Red Velvet match was fucking fire, and Statlander should be pushed to the moon, no pun intended. Dropping the dopey Alien gimmick was so important. She's freaking great and is still over without it.

I feel like anti-HBK sentiment was strongest (or at least loudest) during the early 2010s period when WWE was overtly pushing him as the GOAT, largely because Ric Flair was in TNA and on the outs politically. Of course, people went too far in the other direction and said things like Shawn wasn't any good after leaving the Rockers. The truth, as it usually is, is somewhere in the middle. It should be noted that Punk said a while back that he was a Shawn fan growing up because of his flashiness and cockiness but now finds that Bret's work stands the test of time better. That seems to be increasingly the view expressed by fans and wrestlers, although it wasn't that long ago that virtually every American wrestler under 200 pounds viewed Shawn as an inspiration.

I don't think they'll run an IWGP title match at Forbidden Door. In fact, I doubt there will be any marquee singles matches at all outside of the interim AEW title match. The show sold out instantly, so clearly the concept itself is such a strong draw that no big-time matchup they could run would significantly boost business. Might as well save those for later on down the line.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

I don't think they'll run an IWGP title match at Forbidden Door. In fact, I doubt there will be any marquee singles matches at all outside of the interim AEW title match. The show sold out instantly, so clearly the concept itself is such a strong draw that no big-time matchup they could run would significantly boost business. Might as well save those for later on down the line.

That sounds like a horrible plan (from a fans perspective), why not just book a strong card and try to sell some PPVs?

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

This kind of thinking guarantees they wouldn't sell out a second time.