Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
flyonthewall2983

Zac Efron and director Sean Durkin to film a movie about the Von Erichs

I’ve heard lots of praise for the director’s work, Martha Marcy May Marlene in particular. 

And yeah it being the same company that put out Uncut Gems and Moonlight tells me more about the aims of the project then if it was any of the major studios or streamers.

Martha Marcy... is brilliant, one of the best films of the last ten years

He had a TV series, Southcliffe, that's quite good as well. That is quite promising

The problem with the Von Erichs' story is that there really is no way to "Hollywood" it up since it's depressing as hell, and if they try even a little it's like why even bother to do it then?

I mean, I guess Kevin and his mother kind of find redemption in the end. Living lives in a tropical paradise, putting the wrestling business behind them. (For the most part)

I suppose it really depends on whether they frame the business as the culprit, or Fritz as the bad guy.

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

The problem with the Von Erichs' story is that there really is no way to "Hollywood" it up since it's depressing as hell, and if they try even a little it's like why even bother to do it then?

There are a lot of A24 movies that are pretty sad and depressing, not shying away from having flat out bad endings. This feels honestly in line with their catalogue.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

It is also one of those stories that is so incredible, if you read it as fiction you would think it was implausible or unrealistic, but it really did happen. A man with six sons who lost five of them…three to suicide? It’s still mind boggling.

Framed within the context of Reagan’s America, and the ascension of cultural conservatism of which one could argue that in many ways helped the wrestling boom of the 80’s, it could make any retelling of that saga all the more interesting and infuriating all the same. 

I’m guessing Efron is going to play Kevin but I’m really interested in who’s going to play Doris. From what I’ve seen, and this is probably just down to her rightfully turning away people who wanted to exploit the boys’ downfall (including at some point her own husband I would think it’s fair to say), the story from her point of view has never really been told. 

Besides that I really wonder how this can all be boiled down to something presumably under 2 hours. It will have to acknowledge Gino Hernandez, maybe Bruiser Brody too. Maybe a longer movie could put all of those pieces in the right places but I’ve always felt this is a story needing to be told as completely as possible to understand the depth of tragedy at play.

6 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Framed within the context of Reagan’s America, and the ascension of cultural conservatism of which one could argue that in many ways helped the wrestling boom of the 80’s, it could make any retelling of that saga all the more interesting and infuriating all the same. 

This is a very good point, particularly when you consider how much Fritz played up their Christianity and even aired their weekly show on Christian TV stations.  Would definitely expect some of the hypocrisy there to be brought up