Pro Wrestling Only

The Benoit murders 6 months later

Bix

a threatened kidnapping of a name wrestler friend's child and the murder of Iron Sheik's daughter.

Huh? Haven't heard those stories. What happened?

Iron Sheik's daughter was murdered by her boyfriend a few years back. Dave brings this up every once in a while as a reason why he doesn't find Iron Sheik's ramblings funny.

I don't know about the other story.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the latest episode of "Irv Muchnick Is An Idiotic Lunatic," Irv seems to think there's a deep meaning to the Wikipedia "hacker" (Irv seems to have no grasp of how Wikipedia works) living in Stamford and editing racial slurs out of Chavo Guerrero Jr's entry on the site, as well as the incident in general, in spite of the fact that anyone with half a brain realized it was a coincidence within a few days of the murders. Dave Meltzer put it best: If you're a big wrestling fan, and hear that Chris Benoit, model employee, missed a PPV for a "family emergency," the death of his wife, who used to work in the business, is a likely guess to make.

In the latest episode of "Irv Muchnick Is An Idiotic Lunatic," Irv seems to think there's a deep meaning to the Wikipedia "hacker" (Irv seems to have no grasp of how Wikipedia works) living in Stamford and editing racial slurs out of Chavo Guerrero Jr's entry on the site, as well as the incident in general, in spite of the fact that anyone with half a brain realized it was a coincidence within a few days of the murders. Dave Meltzer put it best: If you're a big wrestling fan, and hear that Chris Benoit, model employee, missed a PPV for a "family emergency," the death of his wife, who used to work in the business, is a likely guess to make.

I intrigued how he is going to bring together all these disparate aspects of the murders into a cohesive book.

• 1 month later...

Knowing Irv, is he trying to imply something here?

His proposed stipulations for his FOI hearing include:

* Confirmation that the interviewee of the subject videotape is the son of Steven Greenberg, an employee of the City of Stamford Department of Finance.

* That Captain Richard Conklin, when asked by me in our initial conversation about the relationship between Stamford PD and World Wrestling Entertainment, said some department officers worked off-duty private security assignments for WWE.

* A list of Stamford PD personnel who have worked WWE security jobs.

Guest LShunter

a threatened kidnapping of a name wrestler friend's child and the murder of Iron Sheik's daughter.

Huh? Haven't heard those stories. What happened?

Iron Sheik's daughter was murdered by her boyfriend a few years back. Dave brings this up every once in a while as a reason why he doesn't find Iron Sheik's ramblings funny.

I don't know about the other story.

Shit, now I don't find his ramblings funny either. That's a fucking terrible thing to happen.

Shit, now I don't find his ramblings funny either. That's a fucking terrible thing to happen.

I met a sober Sheik in April when he was on his own, and he was perfectly normal. He proudly said that his favourite things were his three grandchildren (who call him Papi Sheik), and was nothing like his drugged-up, on-camera persona that has seen him revitalised for the YouTube generation.

It's also interesting to note that there are dozens of road stories about his behaviour from years before Marissa was killed, and they're not too different to those of now. He still spoke the same, and had the same esoteric outlook on things.

I think that the main difference is that he now gets attention for them, has stumbled upon a formula that generates a response from an audience (and is relayed to him by Eric Simms and the other hangers-on as they prep him for the next time), and hits them like he would spots in a match. (You know the usual: Brian Blair, Ultimate Warrior, dat Hollywood-blonde jabroni guitar-player body-builder ... )

I happen to find lots of his stuff funny, especially when he does it on his own, but there is an unsavoury aspect to some of it, and that's when he's clearly led by people out for exploitation, who give him his drugs, whip out a camera, then start telling him that "so and so said such and such". I can't think of any case more unentertaining than Feinstein filming him smoking crack, arguing with his wife in her house about his addictions, and, especially, filming the private moment of a father visiting his murdered daughter's graveside.

In instances like that, I also struggle to find his wacky adventures amusing, but I still don't see that the murder of his daughter should rule out finding amusing those things that have nothing to do with it.

One ought still to laugh at his appearing on Raw and throwing in asides about how he beat "Kennedy McMahon" at racquetball even if one knows he happens to have experienced personal tragedy in his private life.

Guest LShunter

I met a sober Sheik in April when he was on his own, and he was perfectly normal. He proudly said that his favourite things were his three grandchildren (who call him Papi Sheik), and was nothing like his drugged-up, on-camera persona that has seen him revitalised for the YouTube generation.

It's also interesting to note that there are dozens of road stories about his behaviour from years before Marissa was killed, and they're not too different to those of now. He still spoke the same, and had the same esoteric outlook on things.

I think that the main difference is that he now gets attention for them, has stumbled upon a formula that generates a response from an audience (and is relayed to him by Eric Simms and the other hangers-on as they prep him for the next time), and hits them like he would spots in a match. (You know the usual: Brian Blair, Ultimate Warrior, dat Hollywood-blonde jabroni guitar-player body-builder ... )

I happen to find lots of his stuff funny, especially when he does it on his own, but there is an unsavoury aspect to some of it, and that's when he's clearly led by people out for exploitation, who give him his drugs, whip out a camera, then start telling him that "so and so said such and such". I can't think of any case more unentertaining than Feinstein filming him smoking crack, arguing with his wife in her house about his addictions, and, especially, filming the private moment of a father visiting his murdered daughter's graveside.

In instances like that, I also struggle to find his wacky adventures amusing, but I still don't see that the murder of his daughter should rule out finding amusing those things that have nothing to do with it.

One ought still to laugh at his appearing on Raw and throwing in asides about how he beat "Kennedy McMahon" at racquetball even if one knows he happens to have experienced personal tragedy in his private life.

Don't worry, I'm not going to go all pissy about it. I just find it slightly less funny.