Pro Wrestling Only

20 Years Ago - WON 01/04/88

Loss

-- 12/28 in Birmingham, AL, had a one-night tournament for a mink coat featuring Danny Davis, Lord Humongous, Jonathan Boyd, Bob Armstrong, the Memphis Big Bubba, Robert Fuller, Steve Armstrong, Jimmy Golden, Tracy Smothers, The Assassin, Dutch Mantel, Wendell Cooley, Larry Hamilton, Bucky Siegler, Tom Pritchard, Tony Anthony, Doug Furnas and Carl Styles.

I've heard of tournaments for cars and money, but this is a new one for me.

Oh man, this had the makings of a great angle. Imagine some heel winning the tournament and taking on a new gimmick as a cocky, mink coat-wearing fashionista. And then you could have a virtuous animal-loving babyface splatter the coat with red paint, starting a hot new feud. Now that's money!

I wonder who won that tourney. I hope it was the Assassin. I'd love to see him sportin' a mink.

-- 12/28 in Birmingham, AL, had a one-night tournament for a mink coat featuring Danny Davis, Lord Humongous, Jonathan Boyd, Bob Armstrong, the Memphis Big Bubba, Robert Fuller, Steve Armstrong, Jimmy Golden, Tracy Smothers, The Assassin, Dutch Mantel, Wendell Cooley, Larry Hamilton, Bucky Siegler, Tom Pritchard, Tony Anthony, Doug Furnas and Carl Styles.

I've heard of tournaments for cars and money, but this is a new one for me.

Oh man, this had the makings of a great angle. Imagine some heel winning the tournament and taking on a new gimmick as a cocky, mink coat-wearing fashionista. And then you could have a virtuous animal-loving babyface splatter the coat with red paint, starting a hot new feud. Now that's money!

I wonder who won that tourney. I hope it was the Assassin. I'd love to see him sportin' a mink.

At least if a babyface wins he has a nice present for his wife and/or boyfriend. ;)

Looking for Adrian Street's name in the participants' list but I don't see it.

WCCW ran a big angle on 12/25/87 at Reunion Arena, before a crowd of 5,100 fans, where Al Perez was scheduled to defend the title against Kerry Von Erich with Fritz handcuffed to Gary Hart. Before the match, a swarm of heels attacked Fritz before Kevin and Kerry made the save. On the way to the back, Fritz collapsed, and Kevin freaked out, screaming for them someone to call an ambulance. The supposed heart attack was hyped on TV the next day as yet another family tragedy, and they stated Fritz was in critical condition at Baylor hospital. Meltzer thinks booker Ken Mantell was trying to recapture the magic of the Flair/Kerry match on Christmas night of '82 that turned business around for the territory. He said he was unsure if it was a great angle or the most tasteless angle of the year. Meltzer does think with Mantel booking, things will pick up, because they really can't get worse, and the company plans on bringing in some good talent. "However, this group remains without peer in its ability and callousness at exploiting past tragedy to get an angle over," Meltzer said.

Funny, I was just watching the WWE World Class DVD, and when this subject comes up, pretty much everyone interviewed (except Kevin) talk about this as a big sign of the promotion's downfall, and lay the blame on Ken Mantell. Kevin claims that it wasn't supposed to be a heart attack angle, but that the fans came up with that themselves and it just started spreading.

• 5 years later...