Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like it's stupid to attack someone over a PPV review they wrote 17 years ago

Don't ever watch an old movie and provide an opinion on it then. Certainly don't watch a match that's old and provide an opinion. Apparently there's a shelf-life on published works that I wasn't aware of.

And, I'm not attacking Keith. I've contacted him many times and let him know what I think of him as a writer and as a wrestling commentator. When I read something from him that strikes me as especially stupid or hypocritical I may choose to come to this topic and post about. Thus I am furthering the reason this topic was created and I see absolutely no reason for anyone to get worked up over a less than stellar opinion of Scott Keith being offered up.

Don't ever watch an old movie and provide an opinion on it then. Certainly don't watch a match that's old and provide an opinion.

Of course none of this has anything to do what with what I'm saying, but sure!

Apparently there's a shelf-life on published works that I wasn't aware of.

You don't see the futility or pointlessness of going back and criticizing a live review of Bash at the Beach 1997 that Scott Keith wrote 17 years ago? Why does it matter that he wasn't hip on lucha back in 1997?

And, I'm not attacking Keith. I've contacted him many times and let him know what I think of him as a writer and as a wrestling commentator. When I read something from him that strikes me as especially stupid or hypocritical I may choose to come to this topic and post about. Thus I am furthering the reason this topic was created and I see absolutely no reason for anyone to get worked up over a less than stellar opinion of Scott Keith being offered up.

Based on a match review of a forgettable match that occurred 17 years ago. Sad.

Why are you feeling the need to instruct everyone how to post? There are a lot of posts I read that I might think could have been written better or didn't need to be written at all but it doesn't mean you need to call someone out every time.

All lower case posts annoy me, especially when you write lots of text like funk doc did. I'll ignore his posts from now on.

easy thear, tiger. thear's no need to get upset.

I do enjoy this thread though, bix's review of his book still cracks me up.

YOU DIDN'T CAPITALIZE! APOLOGIZE TO BIX!

All lower case posts annoy me, especially when you write lots of text like funk doc did. I'll ignore his posts from now on.

easy thear, tiger. thear's no need to get upset.

I do enjoy this thread though, bix's review of his book still cracks me up.

YOU DIDN'T CAPITALIZE! APOLOGIZE TO BIX!

Flik never gave me an answer :-(

Don't ever watch an old movie and provide an opinion on it then. Certainly don't watch a match that's old and provide an opinion.

Of course none of this has anything to do what with what I'm saying, but sure!

Apparently there's a shelf-life on published works that I wasn't aware of.

You don't see the futility or pointlessness of going back and criticizing a live review of Bash at the Beach 1997 that Scott Keith wrote 17 years ago? Why does it matter that he wasn't hip on lucha back in 1997?

Based on a match review of a forgettable match that occurred 17 years ago. Sad.

Actually, commenting on old movies and wrestling matches has everything to do with the argument you concocted. Keith's writing from 1997 is no different than a wrestling match from 1997, it's something that exists and can be commented upon.

Why does it matter to you if I comment on something Keith wrote years ago? This policing of the board that you seem to be engaging in strikes me as belittling and pointless. The board has admins for that sort of thing, let them do their job.

And that's a swell job you did of assuming that I'm dredging Keith's thoughts up. What I'm doing is rewatching all the PPVs on the Network. Now, I didn't bother to write my thoughts down years ago, but I used to be almost exactly like Keith, and was a big fan of his. Reading his reviews of these events help to highlight the frame of mind I used to have and show me how much I have changed and grown as a wrestling fan, while Keith hasn't in any fashion.

This thread exists because a lot of us think Keith is a terrible entity in the world of professional wrestling. That means his present and past stuff will be bashed/appraised/reevaluated/whatever. It's nothing to get in a huff over.

Why does it matter to you if I comment on something Keith wrote years ago? This policing of the board that you seem to be engaging in strikes me as belittling and pointless. The board has admins for that sort of thing, let them do their job.

I'm not "policing" the board. I thought your post was pointless. And stupid. I said so. This is is a public forum, and that's what can happen when you post your thoughts in a public forum. There should be analysis of past work, no matter how far back it goes? Is there much to be gained from dredging up a 17-year old rant that the writer himself has admitted sucked and no one really cares about? Probably not.

What I'm doing is rewatching all the PPVs on the Network.

Hey, now we have some context to why you were dredging up an old rant! This might have been helpful at the start. Scott himself has admitted that most of the stuff he wrote during that time was awful and not worth reading. (Of course the stuff he writes today isn't much better, but at least he's honest)

This thread exists because a lot of us think Keith is a terrible entity in the world of professional wrestling

I've found it to an entertaining thread. Like I said, I enjoyed Bix's review of his book.

That means his present and past stuff will be bashed/appraised/reevaluated/whatever.

Thanks, I wasn't aware. I actually almost posted that his Scott Sez reviews on his old Clashes was interesting as it exposed a lot of his bullshit like the Steiner-Flair debacle and saying Flair was drawing like crazy as a babyface in 1994, forcing some the cheerleaders at his blog to admit he doesn't always have his facts straight.

It's nothing to get in a huff over.

Not in a huff at all. Just found the whole thing silly. Even with you giving context for why you pulled up the old review, I still find it silly.

So big news for me on the professional front, as I will shortly begin writing for The Sporting News’s website, basically about whatever I want. Thankfully there’s an entire network dedicated to showing wrestling stuff 24 hours a day so I’ll always have lots of stuff to talk about. Thanks to Seth Mates for hooking me up and being awesome in genera

WTF?

• 2 weeks later...

Scott literally telling Scherer to blow it out his ass when he tries roping him into his latest meltdown is epic on many levels.

http://www.rspwfaq.net/2014/06/dave-scherer-goes-insane-threatens-to.html

tl;dr version: Scherer is going on a Twitter rampage against someone he's accusing of stealing his content (he has yet to offer any evidence of this actually happening) and I guess tried to scare Scott Keith by threatening to sic his lawyers on him too.

Scott literally telling Scherer to blow it out his ass when he tries roping him into his latest meltdown is epic on many levels.

tl;dr version: Scherer is going on a Twitter rampage against someone he's accusing of stealing his content (he has yet to offer any evidence of this actually happening) and I guess tried to scare Scott Keith by threatening to sic his lawyers on him too.

One of the other folks who posts on Scott's blog does a daily news update thing. He compiles news from the Observer, Torch, PWInsider, wherever and makes a daily post. He always gives credit to where the news comes from and generally doesn't quote as much as summarizes. I guess someone told Scherer what was happening and now we have this. It's tremendous. I love IWC bitchfests.

One of the other folks who posts on Scott's blog does a daily news update thing. He compiles news from the Observer, Torch, PWInsider, wherever and makes a daily post. He always gives credit to where the news comes from and generally doesn't quote as much as summarizes. I guess someone told Scherer what was happening and now we have this. It's tremendous. I love IWC bitchfests.

Other bigger places receive that thing too. Not sure if it is the same person or thing but a summary gets posted on Wreddit and the /wooo/ forum/site on a daily/semi-daily basis.

Feel sorry for him being a small businessman but this stuff alienates people truly.

PWInsider is a quality subscription too.