Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His vintage WON reviews are worth while, if nothing else.

Until this morning when he decided to break off and accuse Kerry Von Erich of being drunk when he crashed his motorcyle (True or not? First I've heard of that) and then call him out for "taking the coward's way out" by committing suicide. Still a shallow idiot at heart, it seems.

"taking the coward's way out" by committing suicide. Still a shallow idiot at heart, it seems.

I'll give you running with the drunk driving with the crash as if it was common knowledge, but its a little strong to go after him for holding such beliefs about suicide. Or at the very least, Kerry's suicide.

Harsh? Sure, especially for those suffering from mental illness, but from the stand point of what we know about Kerry Von Erich, was that ever indicated? That he suffered from some sort of imbalance? It wasn't like he left a note saying "donate my brain for scientific study" as an early case of concussion studies.

Fairly sure mental illness is just sort of something to be assumed when suicide is involved. Kerry was talking about suicide at least in an indirect way before his legal issues really flared up--Bret Hart wrote about Kerry feeling it was time to go to heaven to be with his brothers and that was shortly after his arrival in the WWF.

Until this morning when he decided to break off and accuse Kerry Von Erich of being drunk when he crashed his motorcyle (True or not? First I've heard of that) and then call him out for "taking the coward's way out" by committing suicide. Still a shallow idiot at heart, it seems.

The problem I found with reading the recaps is that Scooter's database of spurious facts gets mixed into the recaps, and quite frankly I'd rather learn from Dave's work as it was then without second-guessing everything.

Funny (not really). He accused Magnum of being drunk when he crashed too.

• 2 months later...

Scott Keith on Rollins' injuring Sting and Balor with powerbombs -

"It’s kind of unfair to blame Seth for the injuries, because wrestling is fake and he’s not actually performing the bump, the victim is. Just like if you throw your opponent out of the ring and they injure themselves, that’s on them, not on you."

"It’s kind of unfair to blame Seth for the injuries, because wrestling is fake and he’s not actually performing the bump, the victim is. Just like if you throw your opponent out of the ring and they injure themselves, that’s on them, not on you."

Even by Scott Keith standards that's pretty ignorant.

"Its kind of unfair to blame Seth for the injuries, because wrestling is fake and hes not actually performing the bump, the victim is. Just like if you throw your opponent out of the ring and they injure themselves, thats on them, not on you."[/size]

You know damn well that if it wasn't an internet favourite, say Reigns or Sheamus, he would totally flip that one round and bury the guy non-stop.

As an aside, I think a bigger conversation needs to be had about the indy-fication of the WWE working style and the subsequent increase of injuries.

Need a wrestler to weigh in, but is he wrong? The logic in wrestling has always been that guys are responsible for taking their own bumps.

That's all fine when it's something a guy actually has control over. You can't control how someone throws you into the turnbuckles for the buckle bomb.

Need a wrestler to weigh in, but is he wrong? The logic in wrestling has always been that guys are responsible for taking their own bumps.

That's all fine when it's something a guy actually has control over. You can't control how someone throws you into the turnbuckles for the buckle bomb.

The reason I posted it here is because Keith sounds so assured in that belief, that I wanted to make sure I wasn't totally misinformed about this.

I agree that there's a huge difference in throwing someone into a turnbuckle/guard rail or over the top rope versus normal everyday moves.

Also, even if wrestlers place the burden of responsibility on the move taker, doesn't injuring Sting, Balor, and Cena in less than a year mean something? Has anyone every solely knocked so many major players out of commission in a career, let alone in a year?

You hear a lot of wrestlers say how unless they have total faith in the guy giving, they don't like taking the Hammer Bomb, Razor's Edge, etc because they can't control the fall. It's a blind bump. Of course it's up to the guy taking the bump to tuck their chin and protect themselves, but the guy giving has to control the direction. He has to guide you so that you can fall flat. There's only so much you can do if you're getting tossed like a dart.

Still need to rewatch the show on a big screen, but watching it as well as in a replay of he a lot in question, it certainly looked like Finn exacerbated the situation with how he took the bump, and may have been solely responsible for it.

What would Rollins have done differently there? Generally believe these things are freak accidents where one can't ascribe blame, but to my untrained eye this didn't appear to be a good time to point the finger at Rollins.

In fairness, he also said the following:

That being said, is it stupid to ask senior citizen Sting to TAKE that bump on his neck? Yes. Is it stupid to ask Balor to take that bump into a guard rail? Yes. But it’s not technically Seth’s fault. That being said, yes, they need to stop doing that move.

The way I read it, he's saying that the issue is with the move itself and not Rollins specifically. Of course, Rollins also broke Cena's nose and blew out his knee trying to do a sunset flip powerbomb. He wouldn't have to do all that high-risk stuff if he knew how to work.

He wouldn't have to do all that high-risk stuff if he knew how to work

giphy.gif

Sometimes it's not that simple. Especially considering they could have agents in their ear feeding them these ideas to do in the match and the company is encouraging dangerous spots all the time across the roster.

Anyway, it looked like Balor tried to break the fall with his arm and him turning to his side like that is what got him fucked up.

Balor wasn't trying to break his fall, he was going to land short of the dasher boards and was putting his arm out to grab it the same way you would if it was the ropes. If he hadn't have done that it might have been an uglier bump to take and possibly another Sting situation.

Keith scoffed at the idea that Blackwell was the AWA's top face from mid 84-87 in today's review :(

Well you'd have to actually watch the footage to know that and I think it's pretty safe to say he's probably not watched anything outside of the Superclashes. Plus you don't really expect Scott Keith of all people to give any kind of credit to Jerry Blackwell do you? He's fat and fat wrestler = terrible without exception to Scott Keith.