Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

Balor wasn't trying to break his fall, he was going to land short of the dasher boards and was putting his arm out to grab it the same way you would if it was the ropes. If he hadn't have done that it might have been an uglier bump to take and possibly another Sting situation.

He threw his arm out because he was trying to minimize the impact on his back/neck. I agree he probably thought he was landing short, which is a different problem when you can't trust the guy tossing you, but when you watch the video it really doesn't look like he actually would have and Balor simply panicked.

It might have been uglier if he hadn't thrown his arm out or it might have been okay, like it was when Ambrose took the same bump.

333_ss_08212016ej_3649-11bc4dec91e2fef88

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wade Keller has said lately that one criticism of Seth in NXT was that he works too fast and is too concerned with getting all his spots in.

This has even been adapted into WWE canon. One of those network specials made a deal about how he never listened to trainers in the performance center, specifically Terry Taylor.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith scoffed at the idea that Blackwell was the AWA's top face from mid 84-87 in today's review :(

Well you'd have to actually watch the footage to know that and I think it's pretty safe to say he's probably not watched anything outside of the Superclashes. Plus you don't really expect Scott Keith of all people to give any kind of credit to Jerry Blackwell do you? He's fat and fat wrestler = terrible without exception to Scott Keith.

He once claimed that he used to watch a lot of AWA.

I'd be curious to who he thought the AWA's top face was in that time frame if he doesn't think it was Blackwell. My guess is that he watched a lot of AWA from 87-90, when Blackwell wasn't around much.

Did he offer an alternative as the top face from that time frame?

Martel (84) and Slaughter (85-86) would be the only candidates, right? Were the Fabs more of a draw in 84 than Martel?

- The High Flyers v. Ken Patera & Jerry Blackwell. Brunzell gets a figure-four on Blackwell, but Adnan El-Kaissie smashes a cast over Brunzell’s head to break. Patera misses a top rope kneedrop and Brunzell figure-fours him, but Blackwell hits the BIG FAT SPLASH on the helpless Brunzell (good bit of psychology there) and Patera pins him to win the tag titles.

- Mean Gene interviews Mad Dog Vachon, who is busy constructing a coffin for Jerry Blackwell. Now THAT’S getting your point across. He succintly explains how Blackwell put him out of the business for 2 ½ years and now he wants to kill him. See, now this is the sort of to-the-point interview that’s lacking in wrestling today.

- Blackwell retorts later (KILLER KEN RESNICK! WHOO-HOO!) by breaking a 2 x 12 with the sheer power contained in his gigantic gut, and then headbutting a six-inch spike through a piece of plywood. It’s LARD-FU~! You just don’t SEE stuff like this anymore.

- Death match: Mad Dog Vachon v. Jerry Blackwell. Vachon is more well known these days as “the guy who was at ringside and had his artificial leg used as a weapon by Shawn Michaels and Diesel”. Vachon bitchslaps Blackwell until he falls, then knocks him out of the ring and rams him into the ringpost, drawing blood. A chair to the head opens it up further. Crowd pops huge for it. Back in, and Vachon hammers and bites away. Running rope straddle (think Kevin Nash) gets two. He runs into a boot, giving Blackwell a chance to ascend the turnbuckles and go for the FAT GUY OUTTA CONTROL FLYING SPLASH OF DOOM, but it misses and Vachon hits a kneedrop for the pin. Blackwell makes it to his feet to beat the count, but then the force of gravity says “Hey, no so fast…” and he falls on his ass again to take the loss. Pretty intense brawl. **1/2

- The Road Warriors v. Crusher Blackwell & Boom Boom Bundy. I forget the legal details, but suffice it to say (before you ask) that in the AWA he was “Boom Boom” Bundy and in the WWF he was “King Kong” Bundy. Shoving match to start, won by Bundy. Stalling follows. Blackwell comes in and breaks out the FAT GUY OUTTA CONTROL dropkick. Stall, stall, stall. Animal tries a slam, but of course falls back and takes a two count. Blackwell goes to a bearhug of sorts and rams Hawk into the corner. Headbutt and BIG FAT SPLASH get two. Bundy comes in, but Hawk hammers away. Big elbow gets two. Hot tag Blackwell, and a powerslam gets two on Animal. Avalanche misses, and Hawk pounds him with a high knee and the Warriors work him over in the corner. Animal gets that bodyslam for two. Blackwell hulks up, however, and no-sells some elbows. Hah! How’s it feel, Hawk? Hot tag to Bundy, and they hit stereo splashes. Sucky camera work misses Hawk getting a cheap pin on Bundy, however. Boring, LONG, match. I know it didn’t seem like it from the play-by-play, but it was about 18 minutes long, uncut. ½*

I found maybe 8 AWA reviews in his "rant" archive. Nothing from the peak Blackwell years except that Mad Dog match.

I'd be curious to who he thought the AWA's top face was in that time frame if he doesn't think it was Blackwell. My guess is that he watched a lot of AWA from 87-90, when Blackwell wasn't around much.

Did he offer an alternative as the top face from that time frame?

Martel (84) and Slaughter (85-86) would be the only candidates, right? Were the Fabs more of a draw in 84 than Martel?

Yeah 84 for the Fabs, they weren't around very long in 1985, if at all.

Martel and Slaughter are the two that spring to mind for sure.

His reviews of the AWA suggest that (a) he is trying to be funny and edgy and has no clue how to do that, and (B) he hates fat guys. I would also suggest that it's a testament to how good the Mad Dog coffin interview is that he actually liked it.

Keith's version of history is slowly starting to fix itself, I think, with his recent penchant for recapping old Observers on his site. He's still useful for little tidbits now and again, like these two recent ones:

- The first Clash show drew 521 responses for the thumbs-up/thumbs-down poll, and Keith expressed amazement that Dave's subscriber count would be so low, as if 100% of his readership not only watched the show but called or mailed in an opinion.

- Dr. James Andrews was given the nickname "Tape it up and play through it," when any sports fan knows that name is synonymous with "season-ending surgery."

How much were the Fabs a draw on their own and how much of it was having Heenan as a foil?

Fabs vs. LOD was a very good draw, and their program vs. Jesse Ventura when they first arrived was I think going to be a good draw had Jesse not left for the WWF just as it was picking up steam. Heenan as a foil was ok and helped, but six-mans with Heenan and his Army vs. The Fabs and Lanza didn't draw well.