Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still true though. Their viewpoints on a lot of things line up.

TLF have an endearing quality, thanks to their chemistry and dark sense of humor. But they basically do all the same stuff Keith does. Their hot takes were all baked sometime in the early 2000s and feel beyond outdated. They also make up shit as they go along.

And - when they're called out on anything - they either ignore it or sweep it aside by pretending that they knew all along, except they were just too busy or too rushed to get the facts right. And the people (their own listeners!) who point out their errors are just big ole wrestling nerds who live in a basement.

Except they're the ones going on & on for endless hours about playing with their wrestling toys at 16 years old and shit. Way cool, bruh.

I mean, I know you listen to their stuff. You've heard it.

Maybe they can even tell everyone all about how Luke Harper had that really hot run in ROH as the Necro Butcher again.

They definitely did read him back in the day (as did virtually every wrestling fan who was engaged and online during his heyday) and that has been acknowledged at times during the show. It leads to them having some of the standard Meltzer type takes that are also common in podcasts (Kurt Angle being an all-time worker, as an example). I’m not aware of any of the callout stuff as I’m not on Twitter and I also tend to FF through the listener feedback portions of their shows. Nor do I expect them to have great knowledge of the indies since they are essentially just WWF fans who had periods when they were into WCW (though Jack was, I think, watching practically everything back in the MNW era). The action figure shit is obviously done in a self-deprecating way.

Anyhow, their long-form shows on topics like Montreal are top shelf. The Mania and Starrcade series with all the Meltzer interviews were also great, IMO. Certainly not for everyone and I get that.

I enjoyed their Mania series well enough.

I'm not on twitter either. Couldn't be further removed from it if I tried.

And I don't think anyone "expects" them to know about the independents or even wrestling history really. They clearly don't. But they're the ones trying to bullshit their way through it by making things up - and then behaving like children once they're found out. That's all I'm saying really. It's a trait they certainly share with Scott Keith.

• 4 months later...

I read Keith's recent Wrestlerock review and this stuck out:

The champs cut a fired up promo looking for a rematch, but as it turned out, this was Scott Irwin’s last match, as he discovered a tumor in his head the next week and decided to retire rather than risk death in the ring.

A cursory google search would have debunked that timeline.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another howler this afternoon: someone wrote in asking Keith about the rumored story of Verne Gagne paying Iron Sheik to break Hogan's leg. Keith rightfully dismissed it, but then acted all incredulous that anyone could possibly believe that IRON SHEIK, of all people, was some shooter.

Of course Sheiky's grandiose amateur claims are somewhat dubious, but it's a known fact that he both wrestled and coached in the Pan American Games and went through Verne Gagne's boot camp. He wasn't an Olympian, but in an all-time free-for-all of former WWF/E Champions, I'll take prime Sheik against anybody outside of the Angle/Lesnar upper tier.

On 6/8/2014 at 11:32 AM, BillThompson said:

From Bash at the Beach '97,

Way to really show you are interested in even paying attention to the match there Scott. (Of course, the whole "I don't care for this style comment pisses me off when Keith will rave about said style at other times when it suits his needs to appeal to the workrate demographic.)

He reviewed the show again and gave it ****1/4

23 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Another howler this afternoon: someone wrote in asking Keith about the rumored story of Verne Gagne paying Iron Sheik to break Hogan's leg. Keith rightfully dismissed it, but then acted all incredulous that anyone could possibly believe that IRON SHEIK, of all people, was some shooter.

Of course Sheiky's grandiose amateur claims are somewhat dubious, but it's a known fact that he both wrestled and coached in the Pan American Games and went through Verne Gagne's boot camp. He wasn't an Olympian, but in an all-time free-for-all of former WWF/E Champions, I'll take prime Sheik against anybody outside of the Angle/Lesnar upper tier.

Was him being a bodyguard for the Shah part of his gimmick or legit? Either way he was an assistant coach for the US Olympic wrestling team in 1972 (I think) so he's easily one of the more legit guys WWF/E had.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sonya carrying the rainbow hanky around with her all the time now is getting to be a bit much. It’s 2019, everyone knows she’s gay, and it’s not a big deal. 

Part of me thought about just leaving this thread to die, but I couldn't resist posting this belter from Scott's latest World's Collide review (or, as he called it, "Girlfight 2K19"), tactfully posted to his blog on Lesbian Visibility Day.