Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it as if it's not a big deal she's gay then it shouldn't be a big deal if she wants to wear the rainbow flag with her gear, she's not beating anyone over the head about it just like some talent wear their countries flag on their gear or guys like Punk or Batista incorporating Gracie Jiu-Jitsu logos on their gear, it's just a nod to something that's important to her and a part of the fanbase. If anyone wants to get all in a tizzy about it then they obviously have something more going on with their viewpoint of seeing it as something more noteworthy than it really is. Nobody watching WWE who doesn't already have extreme views is going to be too offended or distracted by a rainbow hanky.

13 hours ago, BruiserBrody said:

Unless I am taking the context wrong, I think I am with Scott here as it reads like he is saying being gay is not a big deal either way, so you do not need to flaunt it.  That seems like the opposite of something offensive. 

Well of course you would think that. 

• 1 year later...

So...Scott finally reviewed that episode of WCWSN with the Muta-Armstrong match on it this morning. He gave it **1/4 and apologized for talking the match up years ago. We've got an epic thread shitting all over him, we may as well give him some props for when he does the right thing.

Scooter has been claiming recently that Billy Corgan is going to shut down the NWA. When asked where this information was coming from, the former Netcop replied that the last NWA Powerrr show he'd reviewed had the lowest view numbers his blog had seen in recent months, and besides that, it's been 25 years since Smashing Pumpkins were big and Corgan has to be running out of money. 

A 15 second search on Google shows me that Corgan's net worth is $50 million.

I saw the first episode of the new talk show the NWA has on Mondays, which had an interview with Corgan and Lagana, and Corgan himself addressed the issue of the NWA closing. He claims they’re going to stay afloat, but admits they took a beating when they had to cancel the Crockett Cup. It really seems like the biggest issue is how they have lost momentum because of the pandemic, more than anything else.

Thing is, the NWA is not a big company with a bunch of moving parts like WWE, AEW or even ROH. They don’t even own their own production equipment, they tape TV at a public broadcasting studio and put the show on YouTube for free. They have zero overhead. Dave Lagana is their only actual employee, everybody else are independent contractors under talent agreements. They don’t even have an office. 

The NWA basically have shut down already for all intents and purposes. Corgan owns the name NWA and the legal rights to some names and footage, basically that IS the NWA. When all this is over (if it ever is) then Corgan can just start up again with the same concept. He may have to find new talent, but the way the NWA is structured right now, I can’t see Billy Corgan pulling the plug on the whole thing permanently.

Then again, I’m no journalist with my finger on the pulse of the business like Scott Keith.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:19 PM, El-P said:

Wait. It's 2020.

Today I learned Scott Keith is successful and has presence. I guess he never went away or he had adapted to Web 2.0 years ago. Just checked out the Blog of Doom and the reader interaction kills most of the others forums I visit, including PWO. The latest post has over 500 comments so far. Latest Observer rewind post has over 120. Makes money from Patreon and Amazon. I guess we all have our bubbles and in my podcasts and forums, Keith isn't mentioned outside of this thread. 

He's asked a question about how "Dark Side Of The Ring" uses WWE-owned footage, pulls an answer out of thin air ("they pay WWE"), then is corrected in his comment section ("fair use").

https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2020/05/28/dark-side-of-the-ring-2

Seems like it should be OK to say "I don't know", but I'm pretty sure the Vice guys have been very open about how they get footage. I guess Keith feels the need to post every mailbag question for clicks?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, Beast said:

He's asked a question about how "Dark Side Of The Ring" uses WWE-owned footage, pulls an answer out of thin air ("they pay WWE"), then is corrected in his comment section ("fair use").

Seems like it should be OK to say "I don't know", but I'm pretty sure the Vice guys have been very open about how they get footage. I guess Keith feels the need to post every mailbag question for clicks?

It does seem that way at times.

Ol' Scooter has always been that way, saying things wrong authoritatively so they sound correct. I'm not even saying he does it on purpose, I think he just assumes a lot of things and never bothers to make sure he's right. It's one of the (many) reasons people tended to make fun of him back in the day.

There's still some things stated as fact to this day on the pro wrestling interwebs that everyone just assumes were true that started off as Keith-isms. 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:44 PM, sek69 said:

Ol' Scooter has always been that way, saying things wrong authoritatively so they sound correct. I'm not even saying he does it on purpose, I think he just assumes a lot of things and never bothers to make sure he's right. It's one of the (many) reasons people tended to make fun of him back in the day.

There's still some things stated as fact to this day on the pro wrestling interwebs that everyone just assumes were true that started off as Keith-isms. 

I’m waiting for proof via the booking sheet that “The Blue Blazer” was to win the IC belt the night he died.

I could see Owen winning it on Raw the next night, coming out of “retirement” after Blazer got embarrassed the night before, or at the very least challenging Godfather for a title match soon.  But considering the stunt that killed him was meant to end in a Flair Flop like comedy bit, I’m inclined to believe The Godfather was retaining that night.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, Beast said:

It's actually even worse than you indicated:

"They would pay WWE to license the footage.  That’s how WWE makes a huge chunk of money and why they buy all those old territory tapes."

Not only did he pull a "they pay WWE" answer out of his ass, but he also invented WWE having a lucrative side business for licensing out their archival footage, something that doesn't exist and has no evidence of existing.

7 hours ago, SteveJRogers said:

I’m waiting for proof via the booking sheet that “The Blue Blazer” was to win the IC belt the night he died.

I could see Owen winning it on Raw the next night, coming out of “retirement” after Blazer got embarrassed the night before, or at the very least challenging Godfather for a title match soon.  But considering the stunt that killed him was meant to end in a Flair Flop like comedy bit, I’m inclined to believe The Godfather was retaining that night.

He took something that probably was going to happen (nearly everyone not feuding for the WWF title had a run with IC belt at that time) and turned it into Definitely A Thing That Was Going To Happen, just because it was in that period of time where wrestling fans were discovering the internet but hadn't really found out about newsletters yet.