Pro Wrestling Only

"He's ambitiously stupid" - Why Scott Keith's new book is scary bad

Bix

On 6/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, SteveJRogers said:

I’m waiting for proof via the booking sheet that “The Blue Blazer” was to win the IC belt the night he died.

I could see Owen winning it on Raw the next night, coming out of “retirement” after Blazer got embarrassed the night before, or at the very least challenging Godfather for a title match soon.  But considering the stunt that killed him was meant to end in a Flair Flop like comedy bit, I’m inclined to believe The Godfather was retaining that night.

Damn, this is one of the ones I've always believed too. I'm not sure if my belief came from Keith though (I wasn't a regular reader of his). Are we sure Meltzer or even Keller didn't also report it?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/6/2020 at 6:44 PM, sek69 said:

There's still some things stated as fact to this day on the pro wrestling interwebs that everyone just assumes were true that started off as Keith-isms. 

My favorite example of this was Mr. Perfect being booked to win the 1990 Royal Rumble until Hogan pitched a fit at the last minute.  That one's been surprisingly persistent - OSW Review stated it as fact in one of their videos.

Think it has to do with so few people outside circles like here knowing that Perfect drew poorly with Hogan on the house shows before the Rumble...

One nugget of bullshit that Keith actually issued a mea culpa on years later: Ludvig Borga being booked to work Luger at WMX until Luger spoiled the finish of that match to a reporter.  He admitted that story came from Borga himself working him over email, lol

And top of that, knowing Keith the odds are 2-1 that it was just some dude posing as Borga.

"Warrior was supposed to be the one to sell out to Mr. Perfect" is another one that's gotten a huge amount of traction and I'm pretty sure is 100% bullshit. It doesn't really make any sense and when I watched the '92 Yearbook I didn't get any sense or hints that there was going to be any Warrior turn. The pre-MNW WWF was usually not in the business of turning a major babyface out of the blue like that--if there were plans for him to turn, there'd be some kind of on-air hint of it.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:29 AM, PeteF3 said:

Same here. Though it could just be that it was an IC title match in the spring of '99 and that meant that more often than not the title was getting switched.

Fair, but realizing the point of the stunt that killed Owen was meant to be comedic would suggest that Godfather was going over, with Owen returning to win the belt at Raw the next night or the next PPV.  In other words, Blazer winning that night was probably just speculation and not concrete THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN fact.

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, SteveJRogers said:

I’m waiting for proof via the booking sheet that “The Blue Blazer” was to win the IC belt the night he died.

I could see Owen winning it on Raw the next night, coming out of “retirement” after Blazer got embarrassed the night before, or at the very least challenging Godfather for a title match soon.  But considering the stunt that killed him was meant to end in a Flair Flop like comedy bit, I’m inclined to believe The Godfather was retaining that night.

When did he ever claim this?

https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2020/09/08/flairs-belt-in-the-wwf/

Hasn't Scott been saying the exact opposite for years?

• 7 months later...
21 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Is Scott Keith to blame for the legend that the "Spin the Wheel" wheel at Halloween Havoc '92 was a shoot wheel and that's how we ended up with the coal-miners glove match?

I think in his original rant he said something like, "Two possibilities here: 1.) the wheel wasn't gimmicked, 2.) Bill Watts is a moron." So...sort of? Coal miner's glove is such an incongruous stip for the time and place that I don't know if we can hold Keith solely accountable for a widespread belief that it was a shoot spin. Not nearly to the degree of other bullshit he's peddled that educated people even in the business sometimes still believe (Mr. Perfect was going to win the '90 Rumble, Mankind was going to win at Mind Games, etc.)

And just to clarify, they went with coal miner's glove because it hadn't been done on PPV before and because they weren't going to be allowed to blade, so they went with a match where fans wouldn't feel cheated for not seeing blood.

Looks like he didn't learn his lesson after WM37. His original rant included a comment about Sasha's ethnicity ( "Apparently this is the first time two black women have been in the main event of Wrestlemania, although I’m not so sure that Sasha identifies as anything but Latina.") that just about everybody in the comments section dragged him for. He initially tried to defend himself by saying he figured Sasha was Latina because of her Eddie Guerrero fandom, but he eventually deleted the comment from the rant. He needs to realize that the days of people laughing at or at least looking past flippant uninformed comments about serious issues are long gone.

Scott Keith is why we need more prominent POC in these positions. Identity isn't the end-all-be-all and it will not guarantee anything, but  a less out-of-touch perspective is needed. I haven't read all of his stuff, but the bits and pieces I have read (and following this thread), this guys seems as if he is trying to be the polite edgelord that conveniently learns a lesson only when his feet are held to the fire. I am not a fan.

Scott rose to prominence because he was one of the first people on the pro wrestling interwebs doing in depth reviews that you didn't need to sub to a newsletter for. The nuts and bolts of his reviews were usually fine enough, but being the 90s there were always  opinions/comments added that did not age well or were edgy for the sake of it. 

I don't think he's necessarily trying to gin up hits as much as he's still stuck in the 90s mindset that made him famous. In a way I can't blame him, but dude has to learn to read the room, 

I can remember "binge reading" Scott's rants in the computer lab in between classes in college. We're talking like 1999 here. Hard to believe 22 years later he's basically churning out the same exact stuff with pretty much no difference in style despite how much the wrestling business and online world has changed since then.

36 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Scott rose to prominence because he was one of the first people on the pro wrestling interwebs doing in depth reviews that you didn't need to sub to a newsletter for. The nuts and bolts of his reviews were usually fine enough, but being the 90s there were always  opinions/comments added that did not age well or were edgy for the sake of it. 

I don't think he's necessarily trying to gin up hits as much as he's still stuck in the 90s mindset that made him famous. In a way I can't blame him, but dude has to learn to read the room, 

He was sharing polticial e-mails all the time because he knows it leads to MAGAs coming to his blog and fighting to break out. He also enjoys starting AEW-WWE slapfights. His attempts at a Patreon didn't really take off

Hello!  Apologies for my recent forays into overly dark humor and crankiness, I’ve got stuff going on in my life and sometimes your judgement gets clouded until people point out that you’re being an asshole.  Moreso than usual. Message received, and I will try to do better, faithful readers.

He still hasn't edited it out

1 hour ago, tigerpride said:

He was sharing polticial e-mails all the time because he knows it leads to MAGAs coming to his blog and fighting to break out. He also enjoys starting AEW-WWE slapfights. His attempts at a Patreon didn't really take off

The WWE diehards at .Scott's site seem to fall for it every time. Anytime AEW is even slightly praised or even mentioned they blow a gasket. Obviously that's why he keeps doing it