Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He went to some indy show with Bret Hart on it a couple months ago didn't he? I remember him talking about it on one of the Observer show.

Yeah the BTW Wrestlefest in Newark CA

Don't think he even watched the indy show and just went to the convention portion cause he wanted to hang out w Bret, Funk & a few other guys.

I've only seen him live at an indy out here once despite there being shows all over all the time. He showed up for APW's Chick Fight 2 back in 05 or 06 cause they brought in Mariko Yoshida

What would be great is if you can somehow archive them all like the Sports Illustrated Vault or Time Magazine vault and just be able to read them online. Or an app like how you read magazines and newspapers on your iPads or tablets. Again I suck with technology and have zero clue if this can anyway be done at all.

Playboy and Rolling Stone both put out collections of their magazines on disc form, in really nice boxset style. Playboy was something like the first 10 years of the magazine, and Rolling Stone is all of it from the start to close to whenever they did it. I own both and have barely even begun to go through all of it, but they're a really cool thing to have, fun to reference once in a while, and they're well crafted with a nice interface and all that. Something like that for PWI/Wrestler/Insider would be amazing, and I'm sure a profit could be made on it

Wait, was it when one (or both) of the Briscos said something about Bret and Bret responded with a rant, calling one (or both) of them pill poppers?

No, I think it was something in 1984 when both Jack and Jerry were wrestling in the WWF and so was Bret. Lead to bad feeling between them and probably lead to what Bret said about "the drunken, pill-popping Brisco brothers" in the early 2000s which I think was in response to Jack saying he should have dropped the belt to Shawn.

We talking Jack and Jerry or Mark and Jay here?

Jack and Jerry. Brisco, not Briscoe.

"It was not a good thing. It's a very sensitive issue" were the gist of Dave's words on the Bret Hart/Jack Brisco problems in 1984, and I've absolutely no idea what he was alluding to. The Montreal fallout was the second big source of heat with Bret and the Briscos.

Blackjack Mulligan won a $50,000 16-man battle royal by last eliminating Big John Studd; other participants included: Alexis Smirnoff, Jack & Jerry Brisco, Mil Mascaras, Johnny V, Rene Goulet, Buddy Rose, Brutus Beefcake, Mad Dog Vachon, Bret Hart, SD Jones, Rocky Johnson, & Ivan Putski

This is the Briscos only match with Bret, in WWF anyway, would they have been able to meet anywhere else? In Georgia maybe during Bret's brief stint there in 1979?

Maybe the Briscos were just dicks to him because he was Stu Hart's kid? Would they have ever had any run-ins with Stu, or work Stampede, or have any reason to have heat with the Harts?

I still haven't gotten around to reading Bret's book, does he talk about this at all in it?

Maybe the Briscos were just dicks to him because he was Stu Hart's kid? Would they have ever had any run-ins with Stu, or work Stampede, or have any reason to have heat with the Harts?

I still haven't gotten around to reading Bret's book, does he talk about this at all in it?

I've read it a bunch of times and I don't recall him ever mentioning anything.

There is an interview somewhere out there (could be the Bret / Shawn sit down) where Bret roles his eyes at the thought of Brisco teaching Shawn shoot moves in case the Montreal fallout turned violent. It has to be said, Bret would have murdered anyone involved in that one on one. I certainly wouldn't want to mess with a pissed off Bret Hart in 1997. Although he himself describes it as a pinch fight, sources have said he basically got the better of Shawn in their 97 locker room fight when Bret was basically one legged coming off knee surgery. Something has always struck me as being very tough when it comes to Bret.

Vince's "one free shot" line always made me roll my eyes and cracked me up. As if Vince really thought he could take Bret.

I think he meant without him getting the tough shooters around involved. If Bret punched Vince without permission (yeah yeah I know), I am sure Vince could have gotten someone like Dan Severn or someone, who was there, to go after Bret.

I always took that as Vince's way of apologizing to Bret and diffusing a very tense situation. "Yeah kid, I owe ya this one, I deserve it, lay it in"

I don't think Vince took any pleasure in what he did to Bret at Survivor Series 97. He did it because he thought it was right for business, but I think he was guilt ridden about it. After the Monday Night Wars ended he was pretty quick to try and mend fences with Bret, especially after Bret had the stroke. Bret was the one who was reluctant to patch things up. I think Bret has talked before about apologetic Vince was at Owen's funeral, but Bret was just in no place mentally to hear that at the time

Guest TheGreatPuma

From what I read about what happened with Bret and Vince there was no free shot given by Vince for Bret. They locked up perhaps somewhat similar to a wrestling match and after 30 seconds or 1 minute I can't remember Bret punched Vince. Of course, one could say Vince still may have let himself be punched.

That being said, from what I heard Vince is one tough cookie and is a guy who would beat most people on the Earth in a street fight. I heard he has street fought in the past.

Something has always struck me as being very tough when it comes to Bret.

A million times this.

Bret was probably tougher than most guys in most lockerrooms. I figure there's a degree of bullshit when it comes the Hart Dungeon stories, but Stu Hart was a legit tough guy from the days where you had to be legit to get where you were in the business, and there's been enough evidence from multiple sources to back up how hard he trained guys. You don't open up your own territory and break as many people into the business as Stu Hart did without being legit. Bret being the Hart kid who went the farthest in the business.....and the amount of respect he had/has with other wrestlers.......the guy can surely handle himself in a fight better than most