Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

After years of hearing about how Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar both had to deal with people (including each other) trying them during their careers, I wonder if there were ever any stories of people challenging Shamrock during his WWF run?

there's a story that's been floating around for a while, and told in different iterations on shoots, about the Nasty Boys beating the shit out of Shamrock. and the story is that they totally cheap shotted him when he wasn't looking, and used some kind of gimmick to KO him before they went to town. every version of the story I've heard makes the Nastys sound like total cowards

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there's a story that's been floating around for a while, and told in different iterations on shoots, about the Nasty Boys beating the shit out of Shamrock. and the story is that they totally cheap shotted him when he wasn't looking, and used some kind of gimmick to KO him before they went to town. every version of the story I've heard makes the Nastys sound like total cowards

And the sequel, when they were in the airport and went to say hi to Billy Gunn who just happened to be travelling with Shamrock, and Shamrock was ready to kick both of their asses.

I will say there's no reason to think he couldn't have beat up Shawn Michaels if he wanted to, sure.

I mean, Cornette does claim he suggested the whole screwjob angle as a joke, but use Shamrock so that if Bret tried any shit in return you'd have someone in there that could handle it.

Wasn't Shamrock close to Bret? I think Shamrock trained with Bret in early 97.

Guest TheGreatPuma

I will say there's no reason to think he couldn't have beat up Shawn Michaels if he wanted to, sure.

I mean, Cornette does claim he suggested the whole screwjob angle as a joke, but use Shamrock so that if Bret tried any shit in return you'd have someone in there that could handle it.

Wasn't Shamrock close to Bret? I think Shamrock trained with Bret in early 97.

Yes, I remember hearing that Bret and Shamrock trained together.

After years of hearing about how Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar both had to deal with people (including each other) trying them during their careers, I wonder if there were ever any stories of people challenging Shamrock during his WWF run?

To be fair, Shamrock went to the Nasties' hotel room looking to fight. Getting into that situation, then getting brained with a hotel phone and clobbered seems like Shammy's own fault.

Well, the story comes from before Ken was in the the UFC and obviously before he was in the WWF. The Nasty Boys were harrassing a girl and bulllying her date/boyfriend. Ken saw this but couldn't do anything about it at the moment, so later that night he goes up to their room to start crap. They outnumber him and fuck his shit up REAL good, even putting him in the hospital. He didn't see them again until years later at that airport.

I agree, it's fair game to knock someone out, but to knock them out and then brutalize the person is pure cowardice.

Basically what happened was that Triple H did an interview with the Grantland website, and at one point brought up Wade Keller. He said that Wade Keller used to call DDP "a waste of skin" and was always burying him this was still while Hunter was John Paul Levesque in WCW). He said that DDP was very upset about this, and so he eventually called Keller and the next week Keller flipped his tune talking positively about Page; he then followed that up with a generalization of the "sheets" and so on. Dave was upset with this, as he has been reading the Torch since it started and not once did Keller flip his tune in this manner, and it was Bruce Mitchell who used to do all of the DDMe stuff and note Keller anyway. The whole interview was pretty annoying.

From this week's Observer

He claimed Wade Keller was brutal on Page, saying “Page is a waste of skin. I don’t even know why he has a job there.” He said it bothered Page and he said to him that Bischoff puts a lot of stock into this. So one day he came with a story where Keller ripped him, called up Keller and left a scathing message. He said Keller called back, they hit it off and from that point on Keller flipped his opinion on Page.

“Completely,” HHH said when asked if he flipped. “I was like, `You just worked the dirt sheet guy.’ It blew my mind that these guys don’t even really have an honest opinion. There’s a lot of guys over the years I’ve seen put over and I just didn’t get it. But then I realized, those guys give them insider dirt. In the Attitude Era, we’d be on a plane and there’d be four of us traveling in first class or something, and a week later, I’d read the conversation verbatim in the dirt sheets. I’d be like, `F***, how does this happen?’ Because it had to be one of the four of us. I always thought, just do your job. If the crowd reacts to you, positively, negatively if you’re getting a reaction, they’re going to push you. That’s what nobody gets. We don’t tell the fans who’s going to be over. We put somebody on the table, fans react, and then we decide where to go with them. What people forget is we have a focus group every single night, 10,000 people somewhere. We didn’t get Austin over. Austin got over with the fans.”

Basically what happened was that Triple H did an interview with the Grantland website, and at one point brought up Wade Keller. He said that Wade Keller used to call DDP "a waste of skin" and was always burying him this was still while Hunter was John Paul Levesque in WCW). He said that DDP was very upset about this, and so he eventually called Keller and the next week Keller flipped his tune talking positively about Page; he then followed that up with a generalization of the "sheets" and so on. Dave was upset with this, as he has been reading the Torch since it started and not once did Keller flip his tune in this manner, and it was Bruce Mitchell who used to do all of the DDMe stuff and note Keller anyway. The whole interview was pretty annoying.

From this week's Observer

He claimed Wade Keller was brutal on Page, saying “Page is a waste of skin. I don’t even know why he has a job there.” He said it bothered Page and he said to him that Bischoff puts a lot of stock into this. So one day he came with a story where Keller ripped him, called up Keller and left a scathing message. He said Keller called back, they hit it off and from that point on Keller flipped his opinion on Page.

“Completely,” HHH said when asked if he flipped. “I was like, `You just worked the dirt sheet guy.’ It blew my mind that these guys don’t even really have an honest opinion. There’s a lot of guys over the years I’ve seen put over and I just didn’t get it. But then I realized, those guys give them insider dirt. In the Attitude Era, we’d be on a plane and there’d be four of us traveling in first class or something, and a week later, I’d read the conversation verbatim in the dirt sheets. I’d be like, `F***, how does this happen?’ Because it had to be one of the four of us. I always thought, just do your job. If the crowd reacts to you, positively, negatively if you’re getting a reaction, they’re going to push you. That’s what nobody gets. We don’t tell the fans who’s going to be over. We put somebody on the table, fans react, and then we decide where to go with them. What people forget is we have a focus group every single night, 10,000 people somewhere. We didn’t get Austin over. Austin got over with the fans.”

Thanks

Has anybody else noticed Dave rambling a lot more on topics that don't matter, or is it just me? I know he's always done it, but I was listening to I think it was the Diva reality show stuff, and for about ten minutes straight he kept making the same points over and over and over in slightly different ways without Bryan being able to move him onto another topic.

Then, the last show I heard was the one where he kept talking about how much money Bryan Danielson could make on the indies for the next year while ignoring Bryan's pleas that it didn't matter anyway since he wasn't leaving WWE. I mean, I know what Dave can be like sometimes, but recently he's just gotten fixated on these weird little things that he'll talk about over and over and over to the point that I'm starting to find him and not Bryan to be the irritating one.

I think he's gone to several tapings in his area in recent years. When he does, he usually includes a section in the newsletter comparing live impressions to watching on TV.

Could be my memory but I feel like it has been a really long time since he went and at least wrote something like that about it.

Bruce likes what he does at the Torch, is friends with Wade and has liked what Wade has let him do over the past two decades. That's both in the years when it was just print, but also the web stuff and the audio stuff over the past 14 or so years. No desire to go anywhere else.

Dave really didn't have "columnists" at the time Bruce started writing. The closest was Bowdren's booking piece, which was about a year and a half as I recall. Bowdren was also writing for the Torch at the time. Dave didn't get back around to columns until the late 90s / early 00's, and his one experiment with that didn't last long before he pitched it. In the end, the WON = Dave, and pretty much everyone gets that.

Bryan really isn't in the "WON Fold". He doesn't really write for the WON. Bryan actually is giving Dave a platform, which certainly benefits Bryan as much as Dave. In a way, Dave joined Bryan's fold in terms of online content distribution after Dave's prior attempts had issues. Bryan has done a better job with it.