Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see Mark Henry from time to time in Austin and this pic just cracks me up because one time at the airport I had Henry sign my Observer 89 yearbook. All Henry says is Meltzer huh.

No offense, but why would you have Henry sign a yearbook from 89?

Only wrestling related item I had on me. It makes perfect sense to me.

I see Mark Henry from time to time in Austin and this pic just cracks me up because one time at the airport I had Henry sign my Observer 89 yearbook. All Henry says is Meltzer huh.

"Well all I had was this samurai sword, and I'm not gonna NOT get Mark Henry's autograph"

:lol:

"Well all I had was this samurai sword, and I'm not gonna NOT get Mark Henry's autograph"

:lol:

A Mark Henry autographed samurai sword would be bad ass.

Bryan has to have known he would barely get a word in when Meltzer and Rob Naylor is on the same interview :lol:

Did you notice Dave completely no sell Bryan when he tried to get a word in edgeways at the start of the interview? Ouch.

I honestly think if Dave has something to say, Dave is going to say it, even if it means talking over someone else. This may work in person, but doesn't work as well on a podcast as it doesn't sound very professional at all. But that's Dave I guess, he's been like this forever, so I doubt he is going to change now.

Yeah, that's Dave. Sometimes they are interviewing somebody and it seems that Bryan has got a good follow-up question but Dave's mind is somewhere else and he jumps over with his question and the subject gets changed completely. I honestly don't think he's trying to shut Bryan down to get his own stuff in. I believe that he doesn't even realise it.

Funny enough I have never found him to do that in person, though I haven't spoken to him nearly as many times as others in here.

Considering all the hours per week of radio that they do I really don't know why Dave has never been properly coached on how to conduct a radio show or a professional level interview. It's pretty clear that Bryan has done plenty of work on the subject though.

The Naylor interview is awesome so far. I don't always agree with all of his tastes, but hearing him talk does make me long for the days when talking about wrestling online was far more idealistic than it is now. I think this place is better than most, but for example, in the thread on the WWE Network, people are dropping statistics and discussing whether they think it will be a success or failure, but there's been very little talk of if people are excited to access more footage, any particular footage they hope WWE makes available, if they personally will be signing up, etc. Anyway, listening to Rob Naylor talk is a reminder that wrestling really is awesome and that I do prefer talk about personal enjoyment more than any other type of pro wrestling talk.

I don't mind Meltzer talking over Alvarez. Bryan is one of more annoying personalities out there.

People have said this for years, but I don't see it, or hear it, as the case may be.

Is it because of his voice, I have heard him likened to Kermit the frog? Again I don't hear that.

Care to elaborate on why he is annoying? I think there are FAR FAR FAR more annoying personalities out there. But I do appreciate everyone is different, I'm just interested as nobody has ever elaborated on comments such as this that I've seen online previously. And no, I'm not Chico.

The Naylor interview is awesome so far. I don't always agree with all of his tastes, but hearing him talk does make me long for the days when talking about wrestling online was far more idealistic than it is now. I think this place is better than most, but for example, in the thread on the WWE Network, people are dropping statistics and discussing whether they think it will be a success or failure, but there's been very little talk of if people are excited to access more footage, any particular footage they hope WWE makes available, if they personally will be signing up, etc. Anyway, listening to Rob Naylor talk is a reminder that wrestling really is awesome and that I do prefer talk about personal enjoyment more than any other type of pro wrestling talk.

Definitely lots of appreciation for Naylor for his optimism and enthusiasm. I'm not going to go all "woe is us" or anything but as a community, we had a pretty hard 97-09 or so from the death of Pillman to the death of Misawa, with the death of WCW and ECW and the monopolization of the industry in the middle. It's part of why there's more business talk than anything else a lot of the time. Moreover, I think one reason why we do better than other places is because we so thoroughly escaped back into the past. I'll be honest: for those years I didn't stray far from DVDVR, but it actively surprised me when looking at something from the mid-00s on an rspw archive recently to see DVDVR referred to as a "mark board," which isn't even a term I was familiar with. We've sort of pushed against so much of what we found enjoyment in ten+ years ago and found other things to like to the point where I can only imagine what outsiders think of a place like this now.

Anyway, that Naylor could not only live through all that but experience the seedy underbelly of the industry firsthand in a way that I doubt any of us has and still be Rob Naylor is pretty impressive and he's probably a happier guy than I am so more power to him.

Yeah I really don't pay a lot of attention to "wrestling business" but sadly with the network it is a pretty big deal.

Meltzer is the one who pioneered the heavy "wrestling business" talk anyway and with the dearth of that in the newsletter it his taken away a lot of enjoyment from reading it.

I don't mind Meltzer talking over Alvarez. Bryan is one of more annoying personalities out there.

People have said this for years, but I don't see it, or hear it, as the case may be.

Is it because of his voice, I have heard him likened to Kermit the frog? Again I don't hear that.

Care to elaborate on why he is annoying? I think there are FAR FAR FAR more annoying personalities out there. But I do appreciate everyone is different, I'm just interested as nobody has ever elaborated on comments such as this that I've seen online previously. And no, I'm not Chico.

He has an annoying voice which only makes the random stressing of words more irritating, can be very condescending and has been exposed as knowing a lot less someone in his position should now. People point to his humor as a selling point, but the Bryan and Vinny shows I heard are awful (do people actually listen to his grandmother?) and his more annoying traits become even more exaggerated. He's almost tolerable when he has to actually interview someone, but I haven't heard one worth remembering never mind recommending. Are there more annoying personalties out there? Probably. I only listen/read the WON nowadays so I have to deal with listening to him.

The only reason I don't bother to talk about what I'd like on the network is that's been talked to death for years. More and more signs are pointing to them trying to put as much as they can up there that I'm pretty optimistic about content.

Also: What Matt said about Rob. That he's at least outwardly largely unchanged is pretty great.

Rob is a nice, smart guy who has his finger on the Wrestling industry Zeitgeist for about a decade or more now.

That he's at least outwardly largely unchanged is pretty great.

I think I posted here that not being the case after was my greatest fear when he got signed.

I hope his long term prospects with WWE become clearer soon. As ambiguity can really weight on a person. Wrestling is a terrible thing to be good at in 2013. If Naylor was an Accountant or Marketing man he could just walk down the street to the next firm.

Rob is a nice, smart guy who has his finger on the Wrestling industry Zeitgeist for about a decade or more now.

That he's at least outwardly largely unchanged is pretty great.

I think I posted here that not being the case after was my greatest fear when he got signed.

I hope his long term prospects with WWE become clearer soon. As ambiguity can really weight on a person. Wrestling is a terrible thing to be good at in 2013. If Naylor was an Accountant or Marketing man he could just walk down the street to the next firm.

But then he'd have a hugely unfulfilling professional life like the rest of us.

I really hope Rob gets another shot in WWE down the line, although I think the current ambiguity is only there because that's what he wanted to see. We've all been around long enough to know that whenever WWE uses the "creative has nothing for you" line it's BS. Someone isn't called an executive's "bitch", if he's universally, as in everyone in the company, likes him. When your old job is advertised immediately after you are fired, that's a sign that they don't want you in the position today so don't bother applying.

Rob's way to nice to say it, but if you put the pieces together it sure came off like his firing was typical petty WWE jealous bullshit. I'd be willing to wager a large sum someone was pissed that everyone liked Rob and made sure his job got restructured out of existence.

Rob's way to nice to say it, but if you put the pieces together it sure came off like his firing was typical petty WWE jealous bullshit. I'd be willing to wager a large sum someone was pissed that everyone liked Rob and made sure his job got restructured out of existence.

Two things:

Communication between developmental to office or developmental to intermediary to office has ALWAYS been terrible in WWE. It is one of the reasons why Triple H rolled his sleeves up and got involved in NXT more.

In terms of petty WWE jealous bullshit it was reported in the Observer that Matt Martlaro didn't like Rob. Don't know Matt's role but he works under Hunter and is a liaison between NXT and WWE office and hires and fires. Martlaro was dubbed the Napoleon by Tom Pritchard as Matt was well liked liked and was once in Rob's role going back to OVW later completely changed when he got more power.