Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have nothing at all against Rob, but the source for Rob being universally liked is Rob. If any other person in the interesting were talking about himself that way we would all doubt it seriously at BEST. It's hard to believe he was loved by all, when he was let go the way he was. That's not a knock on him, but just a general observation

Rob's my friend but what Rob said was supported by at least another wrestler in Meltzer's write-up when he was let go...

Rob Naylor, who worked in the developmental system, mostly behind the scenes, but did appear in a television role at times, was released this past week. He had been hired in October, 2011. Naylor was a longtime fan who has great knowledge of history, and was a big time tape watcher of everything all over the world. He brought that open minded perspective you can really only get when you watch a variety of different successful styles of wrestling. He was originally part of the announcing crew for Dragon Gate USA with Lenny Leonard. He worked behind-the-scenes on the TV. He also appeared as a comedy character on TV from time-to-time, such as when Summer Rae was the General Manager, he played her nerdish comedy secretary type role. The company word was that with the movie to Orlando, his position was redesigned internally (basically given to Ryan Katz, formerly G.Q. Money in XPW and Wrestling Society X). Katz is said to be very capable as a producer. There was nothing negative said about Naylor and the company word was that he could be brought back in the future. The story we heard was that HHH personally told him he was very much appreciated and the door would be possibly open some time again. As far as the reaction, I’ve never seen an outpouring so positive from the talent itself to anyone released in WWE. The talent there tried to get “Thanks You Naylor” trending, and it was trending worldwide for five hours. Adrian Neville, who he pushed hard to get into the system, worked his match in Palatka, FL, dedicated to him, and several of the people on the main roster who were in the system with him like Reigns, Rollins, Summer Rae and Cesaro pushed it and then Punk found out and followed suit. I don’t know how many, but it seemed like most in developmental, including Dusty Rhodes, praised him on his way out. One wrestler said, “Everybody loved Naylor and he was far more influential than anyone will ever fully realize. He had developed a good rapport with Dusty and the other coaches. His knowledge of wrestling history was second to none around here and he would make comments or suggestions that would take a life of their own. He played a part in all of our development in the last year-and-a-half.” Again, I don’t know the situation, but if someone was that popular and that good at what they did, there should be a position for them considering how many people are around who really don’t have much of a clue and the volume of positive things everyone was saying about him. So not only he must have been smart and also well liked, and in wrestling people may have one quality or the other, but not a lot have both. Rhodes on Twitter said he was going to use Naylor to help him with his web blog. HHH wants his team in and Naylor predated HHH taking over developmental, and almost all the guys in the key positions in developmental now (Ceman, Bill DeMott, Terry Taylor, Billy Gunn, Katz and Matt Wichlinski–the new strength and conditioning coach) are HHH hires. Matt Martlaro gave him a hard time and some thought before he was let go that Martlaro was out to get him.

Agreed. It is also known that the decisions on who stays and goes isn't made by the people who work at NXT on a daily basis which is why I highlighted the 2nd statement.

Rob also mentioned on the podcast that they offered him another job in the company but for less money and having to relocate to Connecticut and gave him a month's notice he wasn't going to Orlando so I think they expected him to stay in some capacity.

Even if they had offered Rob a job for the same money, but in Connecticut, it would have been a paycut, between the higher cost of living and the difference in state income tax (Florida does not have a state income tax, Connecticut does) they were essentially offering him a paycut, so it sure sounds like somebody didn't want him around anymore.

I have nothing at all against Rob, but the source for Rob being universally liked is Rob. If any other person in the interesting were talking about himself that way we would all doubt it seriously at BEST. It's hard to believe he was loved by all, when he was let go the way he was. That's not a knock on him, but just a general observation

Dylan you are not on Twitter so a lot of the display of praise and love seems to be unseen.

Essentially everyone in NXT tweeted heartfelt praise and best wishes. Some with smiling photographs with Rob. His friends on the indies and CM Punk then joined in. Then you had the crazyness of people like Jim Ross and Triple H tweeting Rob. It was flabbergasting and overwhelming in terms of content and volume.

Even if they had offered Rob a job for the same money, but in Connecticut, it would have been a paycut, between the higher cost of living and the difference in state income tax (Florida does not have a state income tax, Connecticut does) they were essentially offering him a paycut, so it sure sounds like somebody didn't want him around anymore.

Again, you are right... but it was someone outside of the NXT "family" which is who Rob was referring to when he said that everybody liked him.

Dylan you are not on Twitter so a lot of the display of praise and love seems to be unseen.

Essentially everyone in NXT tweeted heartfelt praise and best wishes. Some with smiling photographs with Rob. His friends on the indies and CM Punk then joined in. Then you had the crazyness of people like Jim Ross and Triple H tweeting Rob. It was flabbergasting and overwhelming in terms of content and volume.

Rob mentioned in the interview that someone told him that usually someone has to die to get the send off he got from everyone.

What do you expect with pro wrestling fans who are more likely to be fans because of mic work than mat work.

Slightly OT: Remember when Bix posted something about some old time German historian called Gerhard Schäfer who was pissed at Tom Burke wrote an article about nazi gimmicks and included a midget wrestler? To explain this, midgets were Josef Mengele subjects for instance so I can see how somebody might get really pissed at something like a midget nazi gimmick. It's possible that Schäfer, born in 1921, had to deal with the euthanasia projects at some point in his youth and thus was so furious.

Anyways, why do I write this? I got to see the letters that Schäfer received from Karl Gotch, and the majority of them weren't about pro wrestling but rather about amateur wrestling, Schäfer himself was an amateur official for decades. It was interesting to see them speak about amateur publications and even books, Gotch for instance almost reviewed a "new" book from the late 70s and i.e. was highly critical about the leg work and stance. Gotch wrote also about his experiences as an Olympic athlete and trainer and how he was ousted by the Belgium amateur organisation.

At one point the Burke article came up and what did Gotch say about Burke? That pro wrestling magazines are a giant waste of time and that Burke was a hack or something like that, I would have to look up the exact phrase. Gotch would rather import amateur magazines from Europe than buy pro wrestling magazines from his local newsstand. No wonder IOC news isn't on the radar of the majority of pro wrestling fans if they are only slightly interested in wrestling itself.

My response:

@davemeltzerWON If it's such a ridiculous idea, I still don't understand why you even make poor answers options on polls run on your site.

I think a better way of putting it would be why run a poll if there's only one right answer.

Naylor had a vintage appearance on Alan4l's first episode of his Christmas shows talking about the great wrestlers to come from Minnesota's Robbinsdale High School.

At the end Alan dropped the bombshell that thanks to Missy Hyatt's leg work Alan has a Naylor-MANNY FERNANDEZ show lined up in 2014. :D

Why wouldn't fans of pro wrestling on a pro wrestling website think something that has something to do with pro wrestling is a bigger deal than something that doesn't? It's not like you're running the question on a general website like CNN or something.

This is basically exactly what I tweeted to him in response.

The amateur wrestling thing has as much to do with a pro wrestling audience as the NHL lockout.

No idea why it wouldn't be a top story. Bruno coming back was a cold day in hell moment that very few expected. I am not sure how many people thought wrestling would get removed from the olympics. Maybe I am understating it

If savage gets HOF nominated I figure he will find a jon Jones fight more important as well