Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

could tell how frustrated Dave is with the product on the radio show last night. His rant against the Authority angle was dead on. Three years of the same exact storyline. He's as flummoxed with the product as the rest of us

On the other hand, putting Ken Shamrock in DX could help this situation too.

could tell how frustrated Dave is with the product on the radio show last night. His rant against the Authority angle was dead on. Three years of the same exact storyline. He's as flummoxed with the product as the rest of us

On the other hand, putting Ken Shamrock in DX could help this situation too.

If they opened next weeks Raw with the DX theme playing and then Ken Shamrock walks down the ramp, would people pop? would they boo? would they be to confused to react?

• 4 weeks later...

Was this really written by Dave?

There are plans in place to do a WWE Network multi-week series built around lighter weight wrestlers. The very sketchy plans, meaning these details are likely to change, and this also easily could not happen, were told to me about producing ten episodes, built around a tournament for “unknown” wrestlers (meaning those who haven’t appeared on WWE or NXT television) who are less than 205 pounds. The idea is to do something similar to a Japanese tournament, although that could change. The idea is for something in the summer. Multiple people in wrestling have confirmed the idea in the planning stages, with one idea apparently being all indie guys with the idea that if they get over they’ll be signed. The other is to mix “hot indie” guys with some WWE developmental talent, perhaps as a vehicle to debut Manny Andrade (La Sombra) in a big way

Holy shit is that poorly redacted.

Also, Dave's double talk when it comes to WWE news is reaching hilarious levels.

Clarity in his writing has never been Dave's strong suit. It does seem like he's been making a more concerted effort to protect his sources. I get the feeling from how he talks on the WO shows that he may have inadvertently burnt one of his sources and is trying to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

Dave called Raw's final segment 'the best segment in the history of television wrrestling'.

He's like a child with a new toy. Absolutely no sense of perspective....

Wade Keller said it could had been the best segment in the history of Raw, but it's unfair to compare this as it was an emotional real moment.

Dave called Raw's final segment 'the best segment in the history of television wrrestling'.

I think it could be the most emotional segment or one of the most memorable, but it wasn't functional. It wasn't going to draw any money. I don't think it was artistically appealing. It was real.

It's sort of like, if you had for the final episode of MASH, the last five minutes were all of the actors breaking character and talking about their experiences and how much this mattered as the crowd went nuts for them.

It's more of an Apples and Oranges thing in my mind.

I guess on some level, it makes the WWE and Wrestling look more important, but those are really vague things.

Dave's never been the best at separating things, though.

I think it could be the most emotional segment or one of the most memorable, but it wasn't functional. It wasn't going to draw any money. I don't think it was artistically appealing. It was real.

It's sort of like, if you had for the final episode of MASH, the last five minutes were all of the actors breaking character and talking about their experiences and how much this mattered as the crowd went nuts for them.

It's more of an Apples and Oranges thing in my mind.

I guess on some level, it makes the WWE and Wrestling look more important, but those are really vague things.

Dave's never been the best at separating things, though.

He doesn't separate things, and coming out with a statement like that so soon afterwards seems rash to me.

Dave is well known as a guy who places a lot of stock in how things come across in the moment and his previous favorite was the 2008 Ric Flair retirement, so what's so crazy that he thought Bryan's retirement surpassed it?

I normally don't even pay attention to Dave's opinions but ragging on him for that is just dumb.

It was an epic moment, even only 24 hours removed. It's his opinion, let him enjoy it.

The best wrestling tv moment doesn't mean only matches or angles or promos or whatever. This was a wrestling moment on a wrestling tv show.

You can't compare this to M*A*S*H unless fans at the time complained about Radar not getting enough screentime despite his popularity and they wrote that into the show. And then a taping got stopped because fans on the set wouldn't stop chanting his name.

It's sports and entertainment. It's just as much M*A*S*H as it is Peyton Manning winning a Superbowl for his record breaking 200th victory before possibly retiring.

Ok, but is this different from all the eye rolling over him championing modern New Japan?

I don't get the criticism there either. He likes modern New Japan quite a bit, but has also been very quick to note business slipping, especially recently. If its not someone's taste they're not obligated to share his appreciation of it. Reviewing matches isn't objective reporting.

Which year did he say the G1 was the greatest wrestling tournament ever? And did anyone ask him afterwards if he stod by that?

I get that it's his opinion and all that but if you're in his position and know that your opinion will be discussed, wouldn't you be more cautious?

Hope I'm not coming across as a dick, I'm just thinking what I'd do if it was me.

I think this is ultimately a fairly silly argument to be having in the first place, but nothing said has dissuaded me from my initial comments, with the wording and semantics exactly as they were put. I was saying a specific thing. I still think that specific thing is true.

I do sort of wish that there was A> a studio audience for MASH and B> that the audience rebelled for Radar, though.

He said in the Daniel Bryan radio show linked above that something very bad happened to Nick Bockwinkel in his last years; something like "I don't want to talk about it right now, but everyone knows, and it is very sad".

What is he talking about? I did not even know Nick was suffering a lot in his ifnal years, although in hindsight I should have realised he was going to, seeing how he wrestled full-time well into his 50s.