Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's why I believe there has to be more to the story. This isn't on WWE website. Neither on the corporate side or the fan side. This is being reported from everyone and from everywhere except from WWE/Titus. Titus hasn't even posted anything cryptic like an R-Truth 'My Bad!'. But yes, as far as legit role models go in WWE there is Cena and then it appears Titus and even if Titus isn't second, he is in the top five. Surely you don't send your top five charity worker and PR ambassador on a 90 day suspension for a playful (harmful ?) interaction? A 3 minute talk in the back and possibly a small fine, if Vince really wanted to be a dick, would have been enough. But a suspension? No WM appearances?

Others have reported it as 60 days, for what it's worth - but even that would bring him back the week after Mania.

Can anyone even explain what is happening in that video? It looks like someone grabs Vince by the wrist, and Vince smiles but seems a little sketched out, shaking his wrist afterwards. Maybe he was just embarrassed that he looked frail in response to Titus' squeeze?

Re: Meltzer calling it the greatest moment in TV wrestling - it stood out to me as well, but I get why he'd have that take. He's previously called Flair's retirement the greatest moment in RAW history, and had a similar reaction to Arn's retirement, if memory serves. He loves that stuff and you can't fault him for it. Danielson's speech was remarkable and unique in contrast to what WWE currently is.

This should almost certainly be a different thread, but what do people consider to be the best "worked" moment in TV wrestling history? Whether it's a match, angle, promo, whatever: what as a produced/booked segment would people consider to be the best?

Seeing that clip for the first time it seems there is more going on there. When reading about what happened I bought into the playful nature of it but seeing it, it seems more deliberate and aggressive. The way O'Neill walks away mad after seems like there's something there too. I also bought into the "it wasn't the right time or place for horseplay" talking point. Well after seeing it, not only that but he stopped the forward progress of the man for no apparent reason, it's not like they were all walking out together & he just randomly decided to horse around, this was akin to an overzealous fan grabbing Kerry Von Erich on his way to the ring. Seems out of place even if this wasn't a special moment to detract from.

All that said, 90 days is really harsh for a 3 second incident that may or may not have meant something.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to Dave on Lapsed Fan discussing WM 9 and he revealed that Bret was supposed to work against Jake Roberts at Survivor Series 92, Any idea if this was the plan because Jake had been gone for six months then and was working Sting in WCW. I had always thought Bret's world title win was a last minute decision so it's iffy they had this planned before Jake left in April 92. And interesting Bret was supposed to go over Warrior clean at Royal Rumble 93

Bret vs. Jake in 1992 sounds like a lot of fun. Bret really needed a strong heel during that period, Jake would have been perfect. Come to think of it, he really didn't work heated heel programs in his first run outside of the brief Razor Ramon stuff. I'd argue there wasn't really an issue with Yokozuna either, he was just a guy who happened to challenge him.

"Women that are good looking and horrible wrestlers, it's just like, they should throw them all in a lake."

- I'll be honest, I laughed more than I probably should at that line. I think it was in the delivery, like he went down a cul-de-sac and realised he had no out, like the time Bryan said he was so angry he "pissed straight up in the air" and was already laughing before he'd even finished his sentence.

Is WO/F4 basically just not doing free shows anymore? There's only been two of 'em in the entire last month, with the most recent one being two weeks ago.

Wrestling Observer Live is free every day M-F with a two hour show on Saturday. Bryan and Mike Sempervive host, and they often have guests from ROH or LU. Dr. Lucha does a segment once a week and Dave calls in on Thursdays for a recap of the newest Observer. The only downside is they have callers that are reminiscent of Howard Stern's Wack Pack, but lately they've been roped in to their own segment that can be easily skipped since Bryan posts the shows with commercials edited to the WO site the same day.

Wrestling Observer Live is free every day M-F with a two hour show on Saturday. Bryan and Mike Sempervive host, and they often have guests from ROH or LU. Dr. Lucha does a segment once a week and Dave calls in on Thursdays for a recap of the newest Observer. The only downside is they have callers that are reminiscent of Howard Stern's Wack Pack, but lately they've been roped in to their own segment that can be easily skipped since Bryan posts the shows with commercials edited to the WO site the same day.

Do they become members-only once they're archived? Because I'm looking at the site now, and there's only one show with the "FREE" tag that's been posted in the four days since I asked the question.

Do they become members-only once they're archived? Because I'm looking at the site now, and there's only one show with the "FREE" tag that's been posted in the four days since I asked the question.

I think it's only free to listen to the Sirius show live. Afterward it's a members-only audio with all the commercials cut out.

I think it's only free to listen to the Sirius show live. Afterward it's a members-only audio with all the commercials cut out.

If get the Tune In App on your phone or tablet and search for Observer Live, they do have the shows there but there are commercials and they couple days behind on shows.

Random question, but did Meltzer ever do a full bio on Dutch Savage? He died in August 2013 and Meltzer did a short bio where he stated he would do a complete bio when he had the space. Looking through the following issues I can't see one. I'm really interested in reading it if it exists, so I just need a date for the issue

Random question, but did Meltzer ever do a full bio on Dutch Savage? He died in August 2013 and Meltzer did a short bio where he stated he would do a complete bio when he had the space. Looking through the following issues I can't see one. I'm really interested in reading it if it exists, so I just need a date for the issue

The second part of the bio was in the October 14, 2013, issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave has taken to answering Twitter questions about wrestlers by saying: "Ask him."

Which is obnoxious. If he doesn't like the Twitter questions, he should ignore them. But why give that answer to fans who are in no position to query wrestlers? It's a small thing but a bad look for someone who's always put a lot of effort into audience engagement.