Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a really good show, but they have oddly obsessive fans who seem to think Dave never reported on taping results before.

There is a difference though, since reporting on the others is reporting on a wrestling company, while LU is reporting on a tv show. They don't do houseshows or live shows or anything, it's all canned taped stuff.

Its wrestling. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter has always covered it. There is no difference.

I don't really care, I don't have a sub. Him chastising anyone for caring is silly though.

Helps to subscribe or be familiar with it before getting mixed up in the discussion.

I follow him on twitter. I've got to stop, ti's the worst. It's just him making fun of people.

It's a really good show, but they have oddly obsessive fans who seem to think Dave never reported on taping results before.

There is a difference though, since reporting on the others is reporting on a wrestling company, while LU is reporting on a tv show. They don't do houseshows or live shows or anything, it's all canned taped stuff.

Its wrestling. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter has always covered it. There is no difference.

I don't really care, I don't have a sub. Him chastising anyone for caring is silly though.

Helps to subscribe or be familiar with it before getting mixed up in the discussion.

I follow him on twitter. I've got to stop, ti's the worst. It's just him making fun of people.

Can hardly blame him the amount of grief and nonsense he receives on there.

He isn't chastising them for caring, he's responding to people going nuts that he went over the results of a pre taped show as if that has never been done before.

The issue was never Dave going over Lucha Underground results, but him talking about spoilers at times when there was no need (mainly in his reviews of shows after they aired). I don't watch LU, but it was pretty glaring and I can see why people were annoyed by it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Dave's increased arrogance/doucheness on twitter and on radio shows is a much bigger issue than posting spoilers. Some will argue that he has been that way since the beginning though. I mean in my opinion talking about Larry Sweeney death as if it was a drug or not having “his head on straight” issue if so much more offensive to be

As far as the "journalist" thing, I guess he would be considered a journalist if you consider people like Chris Matthews or Bill O Reilly or Skip Bayless one. People who don't follow wrestling or MMA on a regular basis might I guess.

Not to be offensive, but wasn't the whole Sweeney issue that he didn't have "his head on straight"? And that he wasn't taking his meds?

For example, one wrestler is actually a dragon.

And people still praise this shit?! If WWE or TNA tried that, oh boy... I don't care if it's supposed to be a "TV show" and "not wrestling, that's still idiotic. (WWE, BTW, claims it's "not wrestling" too.)

To be fair, I've only seen one episode of LU and couldn't get into it at all, but they're smarter than TNA (and who isn't?), they'll strike that rumored deal with Netflix or Hulu and open themselves up to a new audience. I'd certainly give it a fair shake then (I don't have El Rey - or cable at all, for that matter).

I guess what I am trying to say is that Dave's increased arrogance/doucheness on twitter and on radio shows is a much bigger issue than posting spoilers. Some will argue that he has been that way since the beginning though. I mean in my opinion talking about Larry Sweeney death as if it was a drug or not having “his head on straight” issue if so much more offensive to be

As far as the "journalist" thing, I guess he would be considered a journalist if you consider people like Chris Matthews or Bill O Reilly or Skip Bayless one. People who don't follow wrestling or MMA on a regular basis might I guess.

Not to be offensive, but wasn't the whole Sweeney issue that he didn't have "his head on straight"? And that he wasn't taking his meds?

Dave clearly had a major brain freeze, as he forgot his cause of death. I really put a lot of blame for Dave's insensitivity on Jim Ross not doing his homework and having a well-known agenda. I don't think Dave would have been quite so blasé about Sweeney's mental health issues if Ross had reminded him that he had committed suicide by hanging himself and had long suffered from bipolar disorder.

For example, one wrestler is actually a dragon.

And people still praise this shit?! If WWE or TNA tried that, oh boy... I don't care if it's supposed to be a "TV show" and "not wrestling, that's still idiotic. (WWE, BTW, claims it's "not wrestling" too.)

To be fair, I've only seen one episode of LU and couldn't get into it at all, but they're smarter than TNA (and who isn't?), they'll strike that rumored deal with Netflix or Hulu and open themselves up to a new audience. I'd certainly give it a fair shake then (I don't have El Rey - or cable at all, for that matter).

Superman is an alien who can fly around at the speed of light, what's your point?

Superman is an alien who can fly around at the speed of light, what's your point?

What's your point? Because people would shit on that type of gimmick in WWE or TNA too.

Chucky, Robocop, and Oz didn't exactly work in WCW, now did it?

It's different in LU. Partly because lucha has a rich history of wacky gimmicks that work and also because the backstage segments are produced by professional TV people who do it way better than the hokey stuff we see in TNA or WWE.

Basically LU is what WWE wishes they were with the "we make movies" nonsense.

Smackdown and Impact don't have people signing NDAs at the shows. Lucha Underground is definitely a show more fun to watch when you don't know what's going to happen. Last season had some excellent story based stuff.

Not necessarily the Observer but I've always browsed wrestling news sites and never had an issue avoiding LU spoilers, rarely seeing a mention of them until just recently.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Dave's increased arrogance/doucheness on twitter and on radio shows is a much bigger issue than posting spoilers. Some will argue that he has been that way since the beginning though. I mean in my opinion talking about Larry Sweeney death as if it was a drug or not having his head on straight issue if so much more offensive to be

Dave clearly had a major brain freeze, as he forgot his cause of death. I really put a lot of blame for Dave's insensitivity on Jim Ross not doing his homework and having a well-known agenda. I don't think Dave would have been quite so blasé about Sweeney's mental health issues if Ross had reminded him that he had committed suicide by hanging himself and had long suffered from bipolar disorder.

See that's given that obsessive Les Moore plenty of ammunition for his 'Talking Shit' podcast. I swear Dave could say the sky was blue and he'd argue that it wasn't.

The infamous Ishii/Makabe "next level psychology" match aired on AXS TV this week. They occasionally clip matches and I was wondering if they would clip out that horrible exchange so JR and Barnett wouldn't have to embarrass themselves covering it up. But they showed it in all its glory and JR dug his heels in and talked about all of the brutality on display.

Can someone explain to me what Lucha Underground is? Is it something to do with that weird confusing promotion/highlights show Jeff Jarrett was fronting?

No.

It is a show on El Reye network.. using US and AAA talent. Probably the best wrestling show on television. They do record their shows in bulk, so they have taped things that won't air till next year it seems.

Thanks. Is it, as the name suggests, a lucha venture, or just basically a US indie? Has it got much traction - is it on the level of, say, ROH? Do they focus mainly on good matches or are there also storylines?

I'm fearful of derailing the thread too much, but could someone also give me a summary of the Jeff Jarrett venture? Do they run shows?

It's only a tv show. Gets more viewers than TNA or ROH.
That's not true. ROH does at least double the viewers.

Can someone explain to me what Lucha Underground is? Is it something to do with that weird confusing promotion/highlights show Jeff Jarrett was fronting?

No.

It is a show on El Reye network.. using US and AAA talent. Probably the best wrestling show on television. They do record their shows in bulk, so they have taped things that won't air till next year it seems.

Thanks. Is it, as the name suggests, a lucha venture, or just basically a US indie? Has it got much traction - is it on the level of, say, ROH? Do they focus mainly on good matches or are there also storylines?

I'm fearful of derailing the thread too much, but could someone also give me a summary of the Jeff Jarrett venture? Do they run shows?

It's only a tv show. Gets more viewers than TNA or ROH.
That's not true. ROH does at least double the viewers.

And the last numbers I saw for LU ratings was around 150,000-170,000. TNA fluctuates between the 270,000-320,000 range.

I think Dave's new thing of being an asshole on Twitter is great. To each their own I guess.

It was fine to complain about LU spoilers when he first started doing it. Once he made it clear he wasn't going to stop, well you're just an idiot if you keep listening and complaining.