Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Don't know if anyone had mentioned this. I just found out when Yohe mentioned it to me.

Pro wrestling writer Scott Williams passes away at 49:

http://www.f4wonline.com/news/wrestling-writer-scott-williams-passes-away-49-218946

A lot of us knew him on various boards as "Loaded Glove". One of those guys that you could have strong differences with depending on some topic, but you could still come away viewing him as one of the good guys online.

49 is too damn young. :(

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, as one of the people arguing with Dave, I just don't get Dave's resistance to include the CWC in his awards. He'll say that CWC didn't produce enough episodes, but then when I point out that Total Divas finished 6th for Best Weekly TV show 2 years ago, it's because Total Divas was conceived as a continuous show rather than a one-time thing, which doesn't really make sense. When others have brought up CWC, he keeps bringing up the G1, which also doesn't make any sense as the G1 is not a weekly TV show, whereas CWC aired weekly for ten straight weeks. Dave will criticize so many fans (rightfully so) for being closed-minded about what wrestling they like, when he's being extremely closed-minded about whether CWC is a weekly show, which seems ludicrous to me. This is one of Dave's weirder stands, and I don't get it.

While I'm posting about weird Dave things, in this week's Observer, when talking about Cody Rhodes purchasing pizzas for Evolve fans as part of Johnny Gargano's retirement, he said that Cody "bought 20 boxes of pizza." Seriously Dave? 20 boxes of pizza? Nobody says that they ordered a "box of pizza." That syntax makes Dave seem like an alien who has never had pizza before or something.

I have a theory when it comes to Dave. I think when it comes to wrestling matches, he can only look forward and not backward. In 1983, he might have been excited to see the Last Battle of Atlanta, but in 2016, he's moved past that. He thinks wrestling should be enjoyed in the moment, which he has said is his reason for not going back and watching old matches, so he doesn't understand why anybody else would want to go back and look at old matches when wrestling has moved past 1983. I think Dave has a tendency to not really look outside of his own world view for a lot of things, so he doesn't understand why anybody would get excited for LBOA because he isn't excited for it and certainly wasn't wowed by the match.

There's a good deal to that, but not always. I seem to recall that Dave at times has talked about old 70s matches that he's watched and been impressed by them. Not a ton like folks here do, but certainly some. I want to say something like Dory-Brisco, and in the back of my head I think he said something positive about some Backlund match/matches, though perhaps putting over the person who "carried" him. ;)

He just never got into stuff like AJPW/NJPW Classics like the rest of us did. I think it was due to being knee deep in Raw+SmackDown+Nitro+Thunder+ECW TV along with the monthly PPV of each company, still watching current Japan, etc... along with all the writing and reporting. Just didn't have the time when Classics came along in the late 90s like he would have had in say the 80s.

Also, keep in mind that footage being available or not available has never been Dave's strong suit. He once said excitedly on WOR that he had a copy of the World Wrestling Peace Festival, something that has been in circulation forever. He was super excited to see complete 1994 Super J Cup matches on New Japan World because he only watched the JIP TV versions at the time. LBOA was more of a PWI legend than a WON legend.

I find the comment on the 1994 Super J Cup odd. This was in the years when Dave *was* watching commercial tapes regularly, especially the Big Ones. He had people sending them to him like Zavisa and others. The 1994 Super J Cup was up there with the Dream Slams as "must have" for him. On a level below that, he would watch things like the AJW Grand Prix commercial tapes, the AJPW Carnival tapes of 1994 & 1995, the Pancrase card tapes.

Super J Cup is something I'm certain he watch in 1994 and we talked about at the time, along with the Carny tape. He also watched the 1995 version of the J Cup as well.

To be clear, there were a lot of commercials he didn't watch. We didn't see El Super Clasico until renting it at Champions during the 1996 trip. The 5/94 version of the match also was something he didn't see at the time.

1994 Super J Cup? Nah, we were all busting our nuts to get that as soon as it washed up, and Dave had been connections with the tape traders than anyone.

When Dave talked about all the photos he took at BOLA I couldn't help but wish he had an Instagram for stuff like this. He probably has some really fun, wild, rare, and historic photos he could share. I tweeted him about starting an Instagram during WrestleMania weekend but he no-sold it.

His point was guys used the term "mark" with the same vigor they used with the n-word in a misguided attempt to show the negative connotations that the word had in the business. His problem is that he's not used to dealing with people on the twitter machine who overreact to everything to a ridiculous degree.

The thing is, Dave has bent over backwards in the past trying to insist that guys using the n-word as a "business term" were just trying to fit in to their environment and had no idea that people had a problem with it until well after the fact. I quoted what he wrote in the Observer a while back:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/9754-dave-meltzer-stuff/page-259&do=findComment&comment=5639453

He ended up having to issue a tweet specifically saying he didn't see the two words as the same thing, as if him explaining the views of old timers meant that he shared those views. Sad that SJW's are so eager to embarrass themselves the guy can't even explain wrestling history properly.

All he said is that guys in the wrestling business casually toss around racial slurs (which should not be breaking news after all the Alberto stuff last year), and somehow people are turning that into DAVE IS RACIST!

Now I do think that he's giving old timey guys too much of a pass (who really believes anyone doesn't know the weight the n word carries?) but that's a different argument than saying Dave agrees with them.