Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think "Watts pushed other black men after JYD because he was a racist and thought his fans would accept any black man" is quite a big stretch. He was always trying to find the next big black star because his biggest star had been a black man who connected deeply with the fanbase he was promoting to. That's pretty much how every promoter works. That's why the McMahons are still using Bruno as the archetype for their top babyface 50 years later. You're going to keep going back to what worked best for you. Of all the things to use as evidence that Bill Watts was a racist, that has to be one of the silliest.

That's why the McMahons are still using Bruno as the archetype for their top babyface 50 years later.

Out of curiosity, who are you referring to here? Most of the top guys of today (Cena, Owens, Styles, Rollins, Ambrose, Orton, Lesnar) or recent past (Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley) don't much seem like Bruno to me. I guess you could say there's some of him in Goldberg, maybe Batista, and maybe a bit in Reigns. But if you were going for a "strongman embodying bravado and optimism" appealing in particular to certain demographics, I'd think you'd be pushing someone like Big E or even Bray to the top.

Watts is a pretty incredible example of how muddy the waters of prejudice and tolerance can be. He will support a business owner's right to segregate in one breath, and rationalize it by declaring Ernie Ladd one of his closest friends in the next. That is in some ways the story that many white Americans tell themselves: "I'm not racist, but I reserve the right to be racist if and when I wanna be." Watts chastised the series "Roots" as "bullshit", because he believes that the shipping of slaves from Africa to America was the greatest opportunity afforded to the black race. These are the lies some tell themselves to avoid history's bill collectors.

I could almost shrug at some of what Watts said in that infamous Keller interview if he'd brushed it all into the (still completely horrific and false) concept that "I should have the right to serve who I wanna serve: it's my business, my investment." It's awful and rightly against the law, but at least that type of bigotry follows a through-line for someone who is ignorant but well-intentioned, or at least oblivious to what they're actually proposing. But if your role model in that claim is Lester Maddox - as it was for Watts - then I'm done trying to give you the benefit of the doubt just because you booked the Dibiase-Murdoch double turn.

I'm talking about booking babyfaces to never lose unless under screwy circumstances, overcoming all odds and being portrayed as the underdog no matter how many times they overcome said odds. I can't remember the last time a top face lost the title clean besides Balor in NXT, and even that was with a super death finisher.

I'm talking about booking babyfaces to never lose unless under screwy circumstances, overcoming all odds and being portrayed as the underdog no matter how many times they overcome said odds. I can't remember the last time a top face lost the title clean besides Balor in NXT, and even that was with a super death finisher.

Cena to Bryan at SummerSlam 2013 and Reigns to Rollins at MITB this year immediately come to mind.

Wrestling is odd in that being different, be it as an African American, Asian American, dwarf, giant, etc. is a clear asset. Wrestling will welcome the dregs of society into its locker rooms, and a promoter would see that diversity and proclaim their lack of racism. But at the same time, those minorities are often portrayed in extremely narrow stereotypes. Everyone thinks Jim Harris is a wonderful person, but he dresses up as Kamala and no one bats an eye. Antonio Inoki goes to Texas in the '60s and becomes Tokyo Tom.

It's a reminder that racism and hate aren't always hand in hand. People don't hate minorities. They're just...narrow.

Cena to Bryan at SummerSlam 2013 and Reigns to Rollins at MITB this year immediately come to mind.

Reigns/Rollins had some unique circumstances to it (Roman getting busted and punished, Rollins coming back to the huge face reaction, Dean cashing in immediately after on the guy he's wanted revenge on for 2 years who was still a heel), but good call on Cena/Bryan. Forgot about that. Also a face/face situation, hard to do a face/face title change without it being clean unless you're wanting to turn someone. Cena/Brock, though. How could I forget that?

Dave Meltzer describing Cien Almas vs No Way Jose as "essentially it was Kelvin Gastelum vs Jon Jones" is pretty bad and especially bad considering his recent comments about race. His running joke, which started months ago, about Almas and Gastelum looking like one another is so confusing. And now Jose and Jones, none of these guys look anything alike.

He's not. He is weird for pointing it out EVERY single time either Otunga or Byron are brought up. And it's certainly not the case for Byron, since they've had him doing commentary since FCW days and working on writing/producing as well. It's kind of like that weird uncle who has to mention that Obama's dad is from Kenya every time Obama comes up.

He's not heel Michael Cole bad, but he's been largely a useless third wheel. Perhaps in the era of lowered expectations of wrestling commentators he's okay then.

No one's saying he's not suited because he's black, that's ridiculous and honestly just insultingly lazy trolling.

How many of the folks that re-upped with the Black Friday sale are sticking around for a full price month? I canceled mine about a week ago because I just wasn't using it aside from browsing the board a little. Alvarez is still just too much of a stumbling block for me listening to any of the Dave shows.

How many of the folks that re-upped with the Black Friday sale are sticking around for a full price month? I canceled mine about a week ago because I just wasn't using it aside from browsing the board a little. Alvarez is still just too much of a stumbling block for me listening to any of the Dave shows.

Bryan is way more subdued when on with Dave unless they're reviewing an especially bad Raw or something like that. Say what you will about him, but at least he knows to keep his gimmick in check there since he has to know Dave is the reason 99% of people sub to them.

Bryan is way more subdued when on with Dave unless they're reviewing an especially bad Raw or something like that. Say what you will about him, but at least he knows to keep his gimmick in check there since he has to know Dave is the reason 99% of people sub to them.

Yeah, unfortunately not subdued enough for me. I can listen to/read people saying how much Raw sucked each week for free at a million places online.

Otunga is a subpar commentator at times, but I really struggle to think why someone would say Byron is actually bad. Him with his jovial, sometimes naive persona, alongside two snarky bastards like Cole and Graves works very well to me.

IMO Byron tries too hard too much of the time. That might be due to overproduction, but he comes off to me too much as an announcer version of a wrestler who has to get his shit in no matter what.