Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

I've been surprised over the course of the week to realize there's a significant segment of folks who rated the ladder match above the main event. As I said in the original Takeover thread, I no longer feel anything toward those WWE stunt fest matches. I don't even hate them. I'm just indifferent. But for a lot of people, that style is obviously the pinnacle of wrestling.

I guess it's a testament to WWE that they satisfied such a wide range of tastes at a high level in the course of one, five-match show.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I skipped out on seeing the ladder match to watch Chris Hero vs WALTER live, and don't regret it. I still haven't seen the ladder match, highlights look awesome, but randomness of WWE/NXT having a competing show to TakeOver a couple of miles away headlined by Hero vs WALTER was just too interesting to me and it was pretty awesome and stiff.

Did catch the rest of TakeOver live and it was pretty great and amazing.

I am not remotely surprised that he gave the ladder match 5. I mean it wasn't close for me, but I did think it was pretty good for what it was. I am not into the MOTB matches and what not, but this - for the most part - felt like it was well put together and worked off everyone's strengths. It also really got Ricochet and Dream over even though they didn't win. I rated it pretty highly, but I also thought Almas/Black was better. Gargano/Ciampa was hands down the best match of the night and I was very much expecting Meltzer to give that the full 5. It doesn't QUITE get there for me, but I have no problem with anyone being all in on that match.

I've been surprised over the course of the week to realize there's a significant segment of folks who rated the ladder match above the main event. As I said in the original Takeover thread, I no longer feel anything toward those WWE stunt fest matches. I don't even hate them. I'm just indifferent. But for a lot of people, that style is obviously the pinnacle of wrestling.

I guess it's a testament to WWE that they satisfied such a wide range of tastes at a high level in the course of one, five-match show.

Workrate über alles

They let Hero work other promotions? Or did I miss something and he's gone from NXT?

WWE/NXT/205 had shows on AXXESS using all sorts of indie talent like Keith Lee, WALTER, and other folks from WWN and Progress. Hero challenged Keith Lee for the WWN title on Thursday, and also had a banger with WALTER on Saturday.

They did let Hero do an ICW show a few months ago. His run has been so different from anyone else in NXT.

They let Hero work other promotions? Or did I miss something and he's gone from NXT?

WWE/NXT/205 had shows on AXXESS using all sorts of indie talent like Keith Lee, WALTER, and other folks from WWN and Progress. Hero challenged Keith Lee for the WWN title on Thursday, and also had a banger with WALTER on Saturday.

They did let Hero do an ICW show a few months ago. His run has been so different from anyone else in NXT.

They let Danny Burch and Lorcan do some indie stuff as well.

What is Hero's deal in NXT anyway? Is he strictly talent, or is he helping to train/coach up the green guys also?

I saw a shoot (RF, iirc) after he was released a few years back, and he was asked about the circumstances surrounding his release. At the time, Hero seemed to indicate it was a two-step process.

First, they were riding him really hard about his weight. They kept suggesting that he wasn't taking his training at the performance center seriously. So he cut down and got crazy lean via juice cleanse for awhile there.

Then they started to crack down on him for trying to coach some of the newer guys. Apparently, Hero was offering advice and words of wisdom to some of the new hires - and he was reprimanded for trying to be a coach instead of just a talent.

So yeah. Just curious as to whether his deal is different this time around.

Lorcan has never wrestled a match for an indie promotion. He made an untaped appearance at a single Beyond event. Hero, Noam Dar, Jack Gallagher, Cedric Alexander and Apollo Crews have all worked at least once for indie promotions since being signed to full time WWE deals

Lorcan has never wrestled a match for an indie promotion. He made an untaped appearance at a single Beyond event. Hero, Noam Dar, Jack Gallagher, Cedric Alexander and Apollo Crews have all worked at least once for indie promotions since being signed to full time WWE deals

And Danny Burch/Martin Stone is under some variation of the initial Gargano/Ciampa deal (and the planned Samoa Joe deal) where NXT has priority on his dates but otherwise he can just work wherever if it's not for TV.

WWE/NXT/205 had shows on AXXESS using all sorts of indie talent like Keith Lee, WALTER, and other folks from WWN and Progress. Hero challenged Keith Lee for the WWN title on Thursday, and also had a banger with WALTER on Saturday.They did let Hero do an ICW show a few months ago. His run has been so different from anyone else in NXT.

Are WWE gonna air those AXXESS tournaments on the network? I'd love to see them.

Guys, I never said the quote system was "broken" or "didn't work" - I just said it was a pain in the ass, which it is. :) Thankfully, a kind forum member clued me in a long time ago on the secret double-probation text-only mode.

h8YSxC1.jpg

P.S.

Asuka isn't over, Joe is past his prime and overrated, Kassius Ohno is nothing special, and Sami Callahan can't work or draw!

:D

Actually, Dave is probably more touched about this than any "wanker" on the internet going "RIP RIP RIP" (make that a chant if you will) for a guy they never met and barely even seen when he was active, as Bruno was an actual friend of his. And Dave actually did report on Bruno earlier with this :

https://mobile.twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/986631594122203136?p=p

So yeah, I understand that this thread on all about "Metlz is a grouchy evil human being" but let's not be a Youtube comment section either...