Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Grimmas, given your history in this thread I'm not even convinced you read his tweet.

Incorrect.

Yeah, it's totally normal and appropriate to call someone a wanker when they commit a minor social faux pas and you're not the slightest bit outraged.

One person did that. Almost no one else did.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously? If Dave tweeted out a correction saying that he actually headlined MORE shows that people typically think, would anybody have a problem with it? It's not hurtful to get facts right and he wasn't being malicious about it in any way.

Do you not see the difference? Also it would totally depend on when and how it was tweeted.

Do you not see the difference? Also it would totally depend on when and how it was tweeted.

Of course there's a difference. But at the core, it comes down to reporting a fact. And he is just pointing out a fact, it shouldn't matter if that is correcting a higher number or a lower number. It only represents accuracy.

If anything the "when" and "how" of it makes it even more innocuous, as he was just responding to people throwing around numbers without a full understanding of them. It's not like he did it in a provoking way or called people idiots or something.

Why isn't it the moment to bring it up? He paid tribute to Bruno. He will no doubt do so again in a long obituary. But he's a reporter, and this is a significant news story on his beat. He's not besmirching Bruno's legacy by pointing out a widespread factual error. He's doing his job.

For fuck's sake, people are so desperate to be outraged these days that they don't even think.

Why because Bruno just died today. That's why people don't like it. I saw that he paid tribute and that's the right thing to have done. A significant news story ? It's a fecking sell out number for msg from over forty years ago. I'm not desperate to be outraged but bringing it up today but now isn't the time or place.

Bruno's death is a significant news story. I know that when I'm writing an obituary for a prominent person, which I've done plenty of times, I work extra hard to get the facts right. An obituary is like the final word on someone's life. If anything, I'd argue it's more important to be careful with the details in that context. I know if I were writing Bruno's obituary, I would be happy that Dave, as an authority in the field, clarified this point.

Unfortunately many people become vigilantes when armed with a keyboard. Facts are good, especially when relevant and important. It just so happens that the openness with which they're presented these days often allows for and encourages immediate responses without requiring facts or civility. One can argue that Dave's Twitter conduct in general invites this type of nonsense and he may very well bring it upon himself. But that doesn't mean there's any less merit to discussing all aspects of Bruno's career and historical record. Its hardly as though he's harassing the family with these facts.

It say a lot that to wrestling fans that, "Although it has been reported everywhere, and Bruno was my friend, the stories of his 187 or 188 MSG sellouts represents yet another wrestling myth that is far from accurate" is the equivalent of calling Barbara Bush a war criminal or something.

You know what's fun?

People A: This was a little socially clueless, maybe shouldn't had said that.

People B: Isn't it amazing how people will get outraged about anything? I'm outraged.

People A: We are not outraged at all, it just came off wrong.

People B: People will get outraged over anything.

Dude, call it outrage. Call it what you want. You felt the need to make a sarcastic comment on twitter about the appropriateness of Daves completely topical, reasonable tweet. Now youre throwing up your hands like you were a coolheaded non-participant, which is bullshit. Normally, I would hold my tongue on all of this because it it is a silly kerfuffle. But I get so sick of social media scolding culture, and this is a prime example.

Okay, seeing as some people seem to be taking what some of us here and on twitter are saying about the timing(very important point btw) and not what Dave meltzer said(after he paid tribute to his friend btw) I'm going to use an example to try to explain what I was trying to say.

Imagine if one of your relatives died(and it's happened to me and I'm sure most here) and people find out that they have died and they start calling to the house. And let's say there was a famous story that your relative told over the years, and there was probably exaggerations added to the story over the years.

And it was nice story and one that's fondly remembered by many people, and one of their friends calls to the house and the story is retold. How would you like it if that person said after the story is told, "sure that story is a myth" how do you think you would react ?

That is my point. The story may have been embellished a bit but was it really the time to correct the story ? That's my point.

was it really the time to correct the story ? That's my point.

Yes it was.

This is a case of fans being in a bubble, not Dave.

Okay well there is no point me bothering because I tried to give an example and you've just picked the last sentence and not addressed the substantive point I was trying to make.

Imagine if one of your relatives died(and it's happened to me and I'm sure most here) and people find out that they have died and they start calling to the house. And let's say there was a famous story that your relative told over the years, and there was probably exaggerations added to the story over the years.

And it was nice story and one that's fondly remembered by many people, and one of their friends calls to the house and the story is retold. How would you like it if that person said after the story is told, "sure that story is a myth" how do you think you would react ?

That is my point. The story may have been embellished a bit but was it really the time to correct the story ? That's my point.

Except : none of the idiots on Twitter who chastised Dave for being "unapropriate" or being a "dick" and "disgusting" is a family member of Bruno Sammartino. Nor a friend. Nor even a vague acquaintance. So there. And actually, Dave was a friend of Bruno. He was closer to Bruno than any of the people who actually think so highly of themselves to tell him what is appropriate or not. That's what is ridiculous.

And yes, that's social media hive culture and political correctness bullshit. And again, Dave didn't say ANYTHING negative about Bruno. So there. If people need to live surrounded by cushions, that's their problems.

I'd rather have a tribute to Bruno that actually pays hommage to what he really accomplished, which was already awesome and awe inspiring, not a bunch of bullshit that is gonna get repeated left and right without any attention to the facts.

(and really, people talking shit at funerals is the reality of life anyway)

There was no substance there. You're not related to Bruno and no one is calling his house and giving his family grief about phony sellouts. You're being dramatic.

Dave was 100% right. If you can't handle your dreams of fake fighters and worked numbers being crushed by innocuous corrections, stop following the guy.

Wonder how Bruno's New York Times obit will handle the MSG sellouts. Their obits are well-researched, although wrestling is full of myths. Even Chyna's NYT obit published a correction for being a year off on her birth date (which everyone was for whatever reason).

Okay, seeing as some people seem to be taking what some of us here and on twitter are saying about the timing(very important point btw) and not what Dave meltzer said(after he paid tribute to his friend btw) I'm going to use an example to try to explain what I was trying to say.

Bruno Sammartino is not your friend or your uncle. He was a public figure. People are writing news stories about him today. It would be better if those stories are accurate. So the timing is perfect.

Bruno Sammartino is not your friend or your uncle. He was a public figure. People are writing news stories about him today. It would be better if those stories are accurate. So the timing is perfect.

i fully agree here

Jesus Christ are ye people thick ? I NEVER said I was related to Bruno in any way. Read what I said, I was using an example to TRY(clearly failed in that one) and make a point about timing.

I'm not saying that Dave was wrong to say what he said AT ALL, what I was trying to say was there is an appropriate time to say things. The day a person dies IMO isn't that time is all I was saying.

i fully agree here

Shock horror. I actually really wanted to come into this message board as it's clearly got some extremely knowledgeable people here on wrestling, and I hoped it had less of the other rubbish spouted on other wrestling boards. I mean the fact that I never mentioned Bruno in my post where I gave an example, yet people jumped on me saying I wasn't related to Bruno. I never said that or implied it in any way.

Wonder how Bruno's New York Times obit will handle the MSG sellouts. Their obits are well-researched, although wrestling is full of myths. Even Chyna's NYT obit published a correction for being a year off on her birth date (which everyone was for whatever reason).

They noted that he often drew gates of 20,000 at MSG and said he had more than 200 matches there.

They noted that he often drew gates of 20,000 at MSG and said he had more than 200 matches there.

is it not a 21k place just asking

Childs, do you really think any single person writing these articles will see Dave's tweet?

Sure. If I were researching an obit on Bruno, I would check out Daves feed for possible reference points. I wouldnt take it as gospel, but good chance I would look at it.

Childs, do you really think any single person writing these articles will see Dave's tweet?

Sure. If I were researching an obit on Bruno, I would check out Daves feed for possible reference points. I wouldnt take it as gospel, but good chance I would look at it.

Ok, that is where we differ. If you are right, and if Dave knows these reports check his feed then it may be awkward, but at least has a purpose.

I really doubted any news source would check his twitter, hence why it comes off poorly to me.

Hey Grimmas, do you really think not a single person who read those articles also follows Dave or reads the newsletter?

Most don't and anyone who does would get the real obit/facts in the actually Observer. There was no rush if that was his reasoning.