Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Saying Dave never speaks well of Charlotte when he's been carrying water for her for years (remember when he insisted that adding her to Becky/Ronda made for a better story?) is almost as ludicrous as accusing him of being in the tank for AEW when he did a radio show with a guy who implied the company conspired to cover up a COVID death.

Andrade was salty that he said before the match it was going to be a "Five Star" match and then Dave pointed out (correctly IMO) that Kenny was out there trying to have a great match and he (Andrade) was just trying to have a good one.

Comes off as he expected to get the free pass Ric and Charlotte get from Dave and was mad when that didn't happen. Also it's not like Dave has been the only one out there saying Andrade has been underwhelming post WWE....seems like that's been the consensus across the board.

I totally get Meltzer's criticism of Andrade, I am just saying his tweet is hilarious because it (unintentionally) implies that he only thinks Charlotte doesn't suck. It's the whole "Are you calling me old and stupid? "No, I never called you old!" thing 

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2021 at 2:27 AM, CarpetCrawler said:

I guess MeltzerSaidWhat needed competition.  No idea why we need multiple accounts to post out of context gotcha journalism-esque Dave Meltzer soundbites.

Funniest things I've found out since making this post:

- MeltzerSaidWhat and Meltzer Botches WERE the same guy. AEWBotches is also the same guy. They'd all even talk to each other and reply to each other as if they were different people.

- it's a dude extremely upset that he got banned from Dave's board years ago and he's held a grudge ever since.

9 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Funniest things I've found out since making this post:

- MeltzerSaidWhat and Meltzer Botches WERE the same guy. AEWBotches is also the same guy. They'd all even talk to each other and reply to each other as if they were different people.

- it's a dude extremely upset that he got banned from Dave's board years ago and he's held a grudge ever since.

Yup and he was also VCRwrestling and BluRaywrestling

and he has a concerning and creepy obsession with Brandi Rhodes

There actually are some bad faith losers who are trying to portray this as Meltzer being some salty loser, when it is obvious to anyone who listens that a) Dave is not salty in the slightest; and b) this is like the dorkiest, funniest Meltzer-related thing in forever, in a wholesome manner. I am dying at him stubbornly sticking to his philosophy that a match is supposed to be worked for the live audience at at that particular time and place, and not to be watched later on tape. If that costume died in front of the crowd at that Halloween party, it can't be more than 2 stars no matter how much its pictures pop people on the internet, damn it. 

9 hours ago, MoS said:

him stubbornly sticking to his philosophy that a match is supposed to be worked for the live audience

I utterly fail to see how it could be any other way. 

I also utterly fail to see how its "his" philosophy. Sounds like Wrestling 101 to me.

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

I utterly fail to see how it could be any other way. 

I also utterly fail to see how its "his" philosophy. Sounds like Wrestling 101 to me.

Because we are no longer in 1981, a wrestling match isn't worked *only* for the live audience, it is also worked for fans watching on DVD, on streaming, much later in time. Dave doesn't revisit matches or his ratings because he sees no value in it; it's all about what worked in the moment. That is his philosophy, and it's not the only valid one on this topic. It's a philosophical stance that has brought him in conflict with members of this board in the past too. 

Thanks. Not trying to start a fight, brother MoS, I'm just curious as to whether "not just the live audience" is something being projected onto wrestlers (that it "stands to reason") or if it's being projected by the wrestlers themselves (has any wrestler expressly stated they were working for the person, say, buying a DVD in five years' time?)

I'm of the opinion that if the live crowd shits on your match, you failed. And no amount of retrospective viewing will ever change that.

Of course no fighting here, we all love shooting the shit about wrestling! I believe Mick Foley has said that he would put extra effort into those IWA matches he knew were going to be taped and watched by fans worldwide. Part of that was just professional prudence - it's just a good career move. But he has always talked about what he wants fans to like and appreciate when they watch his matches on tape. 

I see the point about the match not being good with retrospective viewing if the live crowd shat on it. In fairness, the clash often occurs due to the corollary: can a match - and wrestlers - that got over massively with the live crowd be retrospectively viewed as bad? 

35 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Thanks. Not trying to start a fight, brother MoS, I'm just curious as to whether "not just the live audience" is something being projected onto wrestlers (that it "stands to reason") or if it's being projected by the wrestlers themselves (has any wrestler expressly stated they were working for the person, say, buying a DVD in five years' time?)

I'm of the opinion that if the live crowd shits on your match, you failed. And no amount of retrospective viewing will ever change that.

I think the early 2000s indie scene changed a lot of that. I know RoH was mainly built on a premise of selling tapes based on dream matches. I also remember reading an interview with the guy who ran 1PW in the UK, where he said booking Chris Hero vs Zack Sabre Jr wouldn't sell enough extra tickets to cover the cost of flying Hero in, but it was a match that might sell them a bunch of DVDs that wouldn't otherwise sell. I guess if promoters are thinking that way, then the wrestlers would also be aware of a home audience viewing their matches later.

5 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

has any wrestler expressly stated they were working for the person, say, buying a DVD in five years' time?

I've watched enough fancams to know a lot of wrestlers have dogged it since at least the 80s if they don't think a camera is on them. Playing to internet fans or DVD buyers isn't a stretch from that ideology, I'd say.