Pro Wrestling Only

Rey Misterio

Guest Alfdogg

Guest Some Guy

And I didn't really like the Lucha style to begin with.

And there is part of the problem in your resisting this possibility. You simply don't like lucha. I can respect that.

There is very little substance or selling in the stuff I've seen, it's mostly an acrobatic display. To me highspots should be intergrated into a match, not be the match other wise they don't mean anything.

You need to see more lucha... not just the 7 minute NITRO matches we were accustomed to.

As I said I haven't seen too much lucha outside of WCW and ECW. I enjoyed the acboratic stuff for a little while unitil I had seen it enough and then got sick of it. I hated that they would do like ten highspots and then go to a surfboard for a restspot adn then right back to the higspots, it was like watching a Sabu match without all the broken tables. I liked the Dean Malenko type cruisers better or a match between the Malenko types and the lucha guy. I loved Malenko/Rey at GAB 96 for example.

Plus, that style has become dated, just like ECW style brawls and working a headlock for 15 minutes. Their are only so many Hurricanranas I can see before they become no different than a punch.

Eh, if Rey was a WWE champion, he wouldn't be working a traditional lucha match. He would be incorporating a lucha flavor into his matches that would be worked WWE style. Just the way it is. Plus, with most of the scenarios different posters have mentioned, it doesn't seem like you would be watching a bunch of lucha moves with no context.

I think Rey is talented enough to have good non-flip/flopping matches with just about anybody. I really liked his Summerslam 02 match with Angle. I liked that Angle controled with his ground game, Rey would sneak out, hit a few highspots and then get caught. I liked the story of basically being the grappler (Angle) vs. the striker (Rey) with the grappler winning as is inevitable in just about every such contest.

I've only seen the 7 second Magic move in the game, never in a match. So why wouldn't you just drop the guy on his head?

The "6 (or 7) seconds of magic" was just an example of what could be done. Also, Low-Ki has done a variation of the move in ROH... just so you know.

Once again, I refer to the Royce gracie mindset... this little guy should not be underestimated. hell, film a few vignettes of Rey going to the Orient or Mexico or Brazil to advance his training. It would certainly be more believable than any other crap that has been thrown out on SD!

I've never seen RoH. I'd like to at some point, what little I saw of Low Ki in TNA I liked though. The kicks were great. Why isn't he in TNA anymore, anyway? I think the move is cool looking, I was just asking why the most obvious counter in the world wouldn't always be used? Plus, I keepenvisioning Rey hanging upside down fromBig Show's arm and getting flung over the top rope.

Rey has been pushed as being a small guy and has been tossed around and beaten by bigger guys so much that he is beyond the point of building up, IMO.

This still doesn't account for the fact that he is one of the most popular guys and would be someone I would be willing to bank on for putting asses in the seats if he was a featured player.

I agree that people do and will pay to see him and not just Hispanics. I think he should be better utilized, but and the scenario that was laid out was better than what he's been doing but I can't see him being the WWE Champion. I think he could be built up to the upper card as US champ. I'd build him up with a roll up win over a bigger guy say Luther Reigns, but do not a stupid "giant killer" angle. Have Reigns gunning for him, he realizes that his style as it is won't cut it over the long haul against the Hosses and start making minor adjustments over the course of months, while learning from his mistakes. If he gets caught and powerbombed of a rana attempt then he shouldn't use the rana at all or until he has the guy worn down a lot. If he were to use submission moves, I think a leg submission would work better for him than an arm one. He could use his size and speed to his advantage with a series of hit and run attacks to the knee before settling into more tradional knee work. He could still use the rana as a finish, if they sold it as the guy not being able to kick out because his leg is too weak to break the roll up. I'm not sure what submission move to give him. He could even use the 619 on his opponents leg. I can't figure out what submission for him to use though. He's too short for a sharpshooter or figure four move to work right on a guy as tall as Taker and the ankle lock is taken. Maybe a cross leg breaker, for lack of a better name to call it. Malenko used to do it to set up the Cloverleaf, it's like a cross armbreaker only with the leg. Were he to work a more ground based style withteh highspots worked in to the match logically, I'd probably pay to see him. But I still can't see him being the flag bearer for the company.

As Rey is now he just seems stupid to me in storyline terms. He's worked the same fucking style for his whole career. He's gotten a few fluke wins over guys and then gotten the shit beaten out of him in the rematch because the guy he beat learned from the mistake he made in the previous match, while Rey just keeps going for the springboard whatever and gets caught.