Pro Wrestling Only

Triple H vs. Randy Orton, 30/1/05

Guest Benjie

Guest Benjie

Triple H vs. Randy Orton, 30/1/05

The video package before the match was shit. The WWE production team are usually on point and have produced some packages that are outstanding, but they missed the boat here on this one. They should?ve reminded the audience of how Evolution was made and how Orton?s sudden up rise caused his leader to get jealous and kick him out of the most powerful group on RAW. Instead they just hyped the stuff that had happened in the Elimination Chamber a few weeks prior, which was a real disappointment.

The match has Triple H?s influence written all over it. The beginning has him bumping hard for Orton, but Hunter did well to put the RKO over as a major threat with one counter even leading to a really terrific spot that did manage to break all the momentum that Orton had gained in the beginning segment as well as working as a smart transition. Orton did well to provide a few good near-falls to give the match a fine start.

Triple H was also good in this match at taking apart Orton?s leg. The story was that he injured it the week before and Hunter didn?t bore me whilst taking the knee apart. This is probably because he played to crowd quite a bit by posing and telling them what he was going to do and he of course added the Figure Four Leg Lock which people ultimately regard it as Flair?s move. Orton?s selling was really good when Hunter was on top of him as well. The crowd could sense he was in pain and he did well at putting it across to the audience.

However, his selling does stop at the end when he decides that he?d rather the match go at a quicker pace. This weren?t such a bold move as the pace could?ve been as quick with him providing little brief pauses just to let everyone know that he was indeed hurt. Orton?s knee wasn?t just a result of Hunter?s character deciding that he wanted to work the knee. Orton?s knee was in so much pain that he had to tape it up. That in itself made for his selling near the end to not be so good.

People always bark on about how Hunter doesn?t have a large enough move-set and I agree one hundred percent. But he does manage to use his usual offence such as the running high knee and the knee to the face as near falls in this match. This is because in usual circumstances he would?ve used those moves to cut his opponents off in his control segment, but because he was working the leg he didn?t need to. Hunter?s matches also rely on how much offence his opponent is willing to bring to the table and in this match Orton brought some nice offence for some good near falls. He has a beautiful Powerslam and a High Cross body, as well as another move that he hasn?t given a name to, but it involves holding the opponents neck and them landing back first on Orton?s side.

The concussion ending of the match didn?t work for me. I didn?t care, the crowd didn?t care and it left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt really anticlimactic. I would?ve much preferred a Flair or Batista run in.

This match was way better when I re-watched it.