Pro Wrestling Only

WWF Wrestling Observer News (2.17.86)

Guest Bruiser Chong

Guest Bruiser Chong

I recently came into a lot of Wrestling Observer newsletters spanning from 1986 to 1988.  I figured I’d post the more interesting WWF tidbits, since as you all know, that’s where my heart is.  I’m pressed for time right now, otherwise I’d include other stuff.  I’ll probably post some of that stuff when I’m on break in a month.  As for this stuff, I’m probably going to skip most house show match results, unless it’s really something worth noting.  The print on these things is so damn small and the old Observers aren’t broken into columns, so it’s a bitch to type up.  At any rate, here are tidbits from the February 17, 1986 issue:

- Wrestlemania II changed from 3/31 to 4/7 for booking reasons.  Meltz speculates a Hogan vs. Savage lumberjack match as a possible main event.

- Main event in San Francisco saw Hogan beat Adrian Adonis, which was labeled as fairly heatless.  This is surprising because of Hogan’s popularity and the gay act getting Adonis over as of late. 

- Wouldn’t surprise Meltz for the Bulldogs to win the titles at Wrestlemania.

- The Wrestling Album’s a bomb.  It peaked at No. 84 on the charts and none of the singles took off.  Meltz suspects it still made money, but not the kind that was expected. 

- A 2/7 show features a double main event of Roddy Piper vs. Hillbilly Jim and Uncle Elmer vs. Jesse Ventura. 

- Hogan was on Love Boat and heard it was awful.

- Talks about a passage about Vince from Howard Cossell’s new book.  Vince called him up in 1984 and wanted him to be his announcer.  Cossell flat-out refused, citing doing boxing was bad enough and he wasn’t going to kill his career to call phony wrestling matches.  Vince responded with a “fuck you†and told him wrestling was going to be the biggest sport in the country and that he didn’t need him anyway.

- Says he finally saw Hogan vs. Savage from MSG, but that it wasn’t good.

- Jake Roberts is WWF-bound.

Since this one was pretty short on news, I'll post the following week's stuff in a bit.