Pro Wrestling Only

[1958 Kohler Chicago] Bobby Managoff vs Angelo Poffo

CurtainJerker

Bobby is around 22 years in the biz and Poffo is around 10. Managoff doesn't show much- he offense is basically a hammerlock with some basics.

Angelo had some Macho Man mannerisms, which at least rewarded my watching: besides the side-profile and facial expressions, he had a robe, colorful (kinda sexy) tights, put his arm up signaling false victory, made the X to cover his head, kinda had a similar side-headlock, and stepped out of the ropes to hide. The commentator said he was universally disliked.

This match teased going into second gear but eventually went back to headlocks, hammerlocks, and toe locks. It meandered to a disappointing draw.

Angelo outshined Bobby here and somehow balanced being aggressive and cowardly well. But the lack of highspots, speed, or anything interesting made this match a snoozefest. I guess they just did their broadway so never thought about building to a finish. Even the 1937 Bronko Nagurski vs Vincent Lopez match had shoulder tackles, bodyslams, and some mean punches, so for 1958 this was a step backward. 

Not recommended, but I can see where Randy and Lanny would be upset that their dad's legacy was not recognized. He was probably an effective heel.