Pro Wrestling Only

[2022-06-20-NJPW] Tomohiro Ishii vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru

corwo

Kanemaru's a total slimeball, jumping Ishii at the bell, utilizing roll-ups and throwing young lions in the way of Tomohiro on the outside to try and pick up the win. Kanemaru's content to take the count-out, which I appreciate. So often, you see heels roll their opponents back into the ring rather than take a breather. Kanemaru's also great at showing his behind when the time calls for him to take a backseat and let Ishii control the pace.

Kanemaru brutalizes Ishii's leg with knee breakers and low dropkicks. Ishii does his usual fighting through the pain schtick, but it's much more charming against the sleazy Kanemaru than against other so-called tough guys. The match is also less repetitive. For one, there's no extended strike/forearm exchange to pad out the time. Even the sequences with the referee, which I've never been a big fan of and have often found contrived, played into the story of Kanemaru doing whatever it takes to win.

Ishii survived a missed Whiskey shot and a Samson Clutch to put Kanemaru away with a Vertical Drop Brainbuster for the win. Even in the finish, Ishii's selling was fantastic, as he could merely scoot himself across the mat and fling his body over Kanemaru for the pin.

This match didn't have all the bells and whistles that come with a big, New Japan match. It was fairly simplistic and restrained. But, I'll take a tidy sub-twenty-minute match with clearly defined characters and a story that's easy to follow over a bloated epic any day of the week.