Pro Wrestling Only

[1970-06-06-Joint Promotions] Leon Arras vs Ray Steele

Nova

This was easily the best of the three matches from the 6/6/1970 show. 

Arras is a very strong ring general, taunting and brutalizing Steele in what was apparently Steele's first match on TV. The commentator also says that in one of Steele's first ever matches, he faced Arras in a match where Arras broke Steele's nose. True or not, they ramp up to heated and fun exchanges early on with Steele over-preforming and bringing a fight to Arras. It's not a high bar, but the best British match we have on tape for 1970. *** 

• 11 months later...

Interestingly I find this the weakest of the matches on the show. Although I did find it worked well. 

Perfectly solid wrestling match. Arras is the big powerful heavyweight and Steele is the thinner less experienced challenger. Arras controls most of the match and gets the victory 2-1 with a submission in the 6th. These guys worked well. I just felt it was lacking something to make it special. Arras had some character work but Steele seemed just there as the plucky young underdog and didn’t bring much to the match.