Pro Wrestling Only

[2023-01-03-Kyushu Pro Wrestling-Jokyo] Hitamaru Sasaki vs Hikaru Sato

corwo

Sasaki’s early attempts at takedowns were thwarted as Sato escaped a kneebar attempt with ease. He peppered Sasaki with body shots, but Hitamaru fired back with his own, and the two became entangled in dueling leg submissions. The mat work was competitive and scrappy, just the way I like it.

This took a few minutes to get going, but there was always a purpose to Sato and Sasaki’s movements. So many wrestlers who try to emulate this style get that part wrong. Sato downed Sasaki with a slap, but soon found himself in a Triangle Choke. I dug Sato grinding his knuckles into Sasaki’s face to escape the hold. The slaps from earlier appear to have busted open Sasaki’s mouth, making for a great visual as he fought to regain control of Sato with a Sleeper Hold. Sato’s forced into the ropes, using his first escape.

Back to a standing position, they trade kicks, and Sato gets caught in another submission. Sato tries to force his way out of the hold with his weight, and eventually catches Sasaki with a knee bar. Sasaki slapping Sato’s ribs to gain leverage on the armbar was a tremendous little detail, and it almost paid off. The final few minutes were frantic, with Sasaki weaving in and out of submissions, Sato barely escaping each time until the bell rang, signaling a draw.

This was as engaging as any UWF rules match I’ve seen recently despite a tentative start. Sato does everything with intent, and Sasaki more than held his own as he was leaking from his mouth. The result also leaves room for a rematch, which I’d welcome with open arms. Give it a whirl if you have fifteen minutes to spare.