Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-03-13-TCW-Wally Yamaguchi Memorial] Alexander Otsuka vs Dan Severn

Ma Stump Puller

We get pre-match promos from both guys, basically just saying "I'm gonna be there, we're both old" etc. Severn looks a lot better here as he pulls out some of his typical overbearing wrestling technique and lands a early German suplex. I think what works about this is that the two (mostly Severn) really use the ring set-up as you would in a actual grappling contest, with Severn consistently just squishing his opponent, ramming his head and such to make it as uncomfortable as possible, etc. Otsuka more uses it as a clutch to lay down and defend. The stand-up was much less impressive with the two landing really fakey looking punches, at times not even attempting to try to make it look convincing; this was the really fake shit, them basically swishing their arms around and making hissing noises after every shot thrown despite most of it not even looking close to being a proper connecting shot. The mat-work, for me, was what made this work; Severn even at his age can throw out some surprisingly cool amateur-demon stuff and really articulate the sense of struggle that the two had to escape what the other was attempting to do. At one point he also does this really sick half Nelson neck crank that I swear I seen Billy Robertson pull out once or twice, that's pretty neat.

As much as I like Otsuka, he really did himself no favours here with the fakey striking and being very non-descript on the mat, not really doing a whole lot to impress. They try to do a bit where Severn is supposed to go for a takedown and Otsuka knees him in the face, but it looks more like he collapsed than anything else lol. Second round had some interesting mat-work all from Severn while Otsuka mostly just sat down and shuffled. Third round has Otsuka try to wrestle Severn standing up, which leads him to get his arm trapped and for Severn to tap him out with a arm triangle choke. Entertaining if you want to see a 60 year old carry someone 10+ years younger than him, solid showing for Old Severn. Otsuka continues to disappoint post-prime. If you take one thing from the match, it's that it makes you wish they done this in 1999 rather than here.