Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-08-03-NJPW-G1 Climax] Manabu Nakanishi vs Osamu Nishimura

Ma Stump Puller

Probably the most technical match Nakanishi has ever done. Him and Nishimura spend about 10 or so minutes just doing typical Nishimura routines, only adjusted for Nakanishi's beef so he's typically the stronger pushing here, so it's more of a strength/skill situation. On a side-note, I'm always a fan of how Nishimura can control a crowd with simple catch-routines; he's a master at adding tension to fairly simplistic stuff, it works because it's so unique by comparison to the more popular big epics at the time or the big stiff striking battles, seeing a struggle of a headlock or a surfboard is wacky enough that you respect it. He also does a really good job at selling the danger of Nakanishi by immediately flopping to the mat after a vicious chop or two, not even trying to suggest he can go toe to toe with the guy. His bumping in particular is just great here as he makes Nakanishi's stuff look killer despite some counters here and there, typically getting sent flying. The back becomes a huge issue as Nakanishi targets it with a really nasty looking Boston Crab before landing a spear to the back of Nishimura when he dodges a lariat. What I do like is how for a 30 minute draw this doesn't pad attempted finishes until the end: Nakanishi by the halfway is already trying to grab on his backbreaker to end this, it's just Nishimura being smart enough to survive and counter, mainly with a Grovit/front face lock to keep his opponent grounded. He also gets on a sleeper to counter a lariat, which when Nakanishi tries knocking him off with a slam he keeps the hold on the ground as well: even a vicious backdrop afterwards won't stop Nishimura holding on.

They even leave the ring and it's STILL applied. This goes on for about 4 minutes but the audience never stops not paying attention, because the stakes have been firmly established as Nishimura being exposed without locking holds. We get some leg work before Nakanishi applies a really cool Prison Lock, trash talking while landing some big chops. They even incorporate a Iron Claw into things despite how goofy it looks. I do think the lead to the finish is a bit weak; Nakanishi gasses up a bit here and messes up some of the Cobra Twist transitions due to being sloppy. We get some leg work and heel hooks before Nakanishi finally goes for a backbreaker, albeit Nishimura grabs him in a headlock for leverage in the hold and manages to counter a Hercules Cutter into a bulldog. The same thing happens with a third, only Nakanishi gets hit with a sleeper. A fourth is successful but Nishimura refuses to tap and the bell finally sounds.

The first half of this is pretty good, with the second being a bit more mediocre because they spend a LOT of time in holds; I'm typically fine with them but multiple figure fours and sleepers for minutes at a time is rough stuff, even for me. Nishimura is great here with all of his counters and how he shuts down his opponent on offence; Nakanishi is also solid, albeit gasses up and his selling suffers massively as a result; by the end he's leaning around like he's Andre and just looking rough. Starts off well, tanks slightly despite some good moments; Nakanishi isn't really built for super long matches like these and it showed after a while.