Pro Wrestling Only

[2023-09-03-NOAH-N1 Victory] Josh Barnett vs Masakatsu Funaki

Ma Stump Puller

I was dreading this: Funaki's last few shoot-style matches with Suzuki and Sakuraba haven't been much good, with his Aoki match being a decent but middling performance. Barnett is also a bit of a loose cannon when it comes to his consistency so yeah this was a risky match all things considered. 

Starting sequences had the classic slow grappling as Barnett got a takedown, but he couldn't really translate it to much as Funaki kept moving his legs around to prevent any proper leverage on toe-hold attempts. I guess it's funny to see the Achilles Tendon being treated as a scary move when it's been pretty much exposed for decades as uncomfortable but not something to tap out over. Barnett tried to escape, but ended up feeding his foot over in the process and had to quickly rope escape. I thought the spot with Barnett hooking the arm in stand-up for a potential legit arm drag and almost getting choked out when Funaki counters was a nifty bit that got the tension going quite early and had a good counter with a kneebar a little bit afterwards.

Stand-up was crappy; Barnett's never exactly been great at pulling his strikes and this was especially true here as he threw these really goofy light slaps that typically were a mile away from hitting anything while Funaki kept to landing low kicks that looked quite sloppy at times. It felt more of a formality than anything else to pad for the matwork. They do some more stuff and it's ok, Barnett using his wrestling to get into full mount after some guard passes was cool, him fumbling a cross armbreaker and them having to awkwardly shuffle around as Funaki kept his arms together really wasn't. Was cool seeing the Billy Robertson headscissors counter but it lasted for maybe two seconds before being dropped :(Barnett stupidly tries to go into a side headlock for maybe a head/arm choke, Funaki catches him in his own headscissors that forces another escape for the lad.

Third half of this was really great, however, as the two start just doing dangerous stuff to the other. It starts with Barnett going for a Grovit before trying for a takeover, but Funaki kinda undershoots for it and he ends up almost legit DDT'd on the floor. The two go for a really cheesy double toe-hold as Barnett grabs one before his opponent shuffles over on the mat to copy him. Stand-up time as Barnett gets flustered with shots and tries for a German, only for Funaki to employ a cool Sakuraba-lite double wrist lock from the back before trying for a Fujiwara armbar. Barnett won't go down and lands a pretty great overhand slap to the face for the first knockdown of the match. They do the classic "takedown counter is a knee to the face" bit, only Funaki ends up legit busting his nose in the process. It's cool that he was still able to do the front-face guillotine spot regardless alongside the absolutely awesome finishing bit where Barnett's solution to the submission is just to pick Funaki up and dump his ass with a brainbuster for the KO victory.

I think the main issue with this is that it struggles to really pick up any: Funaki even in his prime has always been this super cerebral worker, but that doesn't really translate to quality when it comes to actual engagement with the match as it just looks like he's checked out for the most part. Barnett is a bit more eager to get moving and that, I would say, is how most of this trucks forward quality-wise. Dude is 45 yet can still make grappling look so much more refined and struggle-heavy than many of the so-called greats you'd usually hear about. His selling was mostly solid as well as he realistically paced out the leg-work by Funaki's kicks: he starts off taking them with a slight pause and by the near end he's shuffling around and struggling hard. I'd not say this was exactly amazing for what shoot-style as a whole is able to do, but as a functional throwback it works just fine and even gets quite decent in places, which is a fair shock. 

• Ma Stump Puller changed the title to [2023-09-03-NOAH-N1 Victory] Josh Barnett vs Masakatsu Funaki