Pro Wrestling Only

[2024-01-07-OZ Academy] AKINO vs Mio Momono

corwo

AKINO comes in confident, overlooking the challenger. She brutalizes Momono, wailing on her with kicks before taking things to the outside. AKINO kicks the post, which is a common spot these days, but I liked that they opted for something different by using it to set up Momono’s big dive.

When Momono starts to put up more of a fight than she bargained for, AKINO gets desperate and goes after her arm. Momono’s selling as the underdog is excellent. She even kept her bad arm at bay while going for a pinfall. Momono’s brief fire-up after being nailed with a forearm feels so much more believable than when most wrestlers do it. It feels like she’s fighting for her life and feeding off the crowd’s energy.

AKINO calls for the finish and almost gets caught with a European Clutch for her overzealousness. Eventually, Momono’s resolve wins out, as she counters a high kick and lands the JK Bomb to secure the title.

I find Momono’s high-speed matches entertaining enough, but when she zeroes in on being a plucky underdog babyface, she’s at her best. AKINO was the perfect foil for the invading challenger. She was brutal, mean, and a worthy champion. But this was Momono’s night. The audience was evenly split at the beginning, but Momono won them over by the end.

If they shaved a few minutes off the finishing sequence, I’d have no problem calling this great. As is, it’s one of the early highlights of 2024, where the valiant hero overcomes the odds.

***1/2