Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-05-01-WWE-Backlash] Chris Jericho vs Shelton Benjamin

This was the pay-per-view opener, and for my money the best match on the card. For the sounds of things, there was a pretty flimsy reason for the match taking place, but Jericho was still an excellent worker at this point and Benjamin's exciting blend of matwork and athleticism make him fun to watch. His theme music and gimmick are shit, and JR leans too far into college crap, but the guy was a blast to watch even if you knew the WWE machine would crush him in the end. JR mentions that Jericho is a record seven time Intercontinental Champion, but I'll be damned if I can remember any of his reigns. It wasn't clear whether he was a heel here. He was acting like a dick, but he's Jericho. The crowd seemed to want him to win the title, perhaps because Benjamin wasn't over with the fans. This was a great performance from him, though. Apparently, he carried the momentum through to the following night's RAW, so I'm looking forward to watching that.